Schedule

26 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Everybody keeps missing the point:

You join a conference to benefit yourself, not everybody else.  There was no good reason ever expressed that I read as to why the Big Ten said NO to NU going on its own when the first cancel vote was taken with no plans otherwise and after the Big Ten summarily cancelled our non-con games.  

That punished NU for being a member while doing nothing to benefit the parnership / conference.   Why?

We're being treated like every other member of the conference.

Just like every other team in every other conference.

No team is going rogue, anywhere, in D1 football. 

This is just more "I don't like the Big Ten" and boy, have we gotten that message from you by now.

• Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We're being treated like every other member of the conference.

Just like every other team in every other conference.

No team is going rogue, anywhere, in D1 football. 

This is just more "I don't like the Big Ten" and boy, have we gotten that message from you by now.

I dont dislike the Big Ten.  I dont recall saying that once.  They just do stupid things that hurt NU for no apparent reason other than spite or something.  They hurt OSU and some others who actually wanted to play a normal season or as close as possible.  Some wanted nothing to do with reg fall sports.  All for one - one for all is all fine and dandy but when others dont want to do anything, no partner ought be penalized for acting reasonably outside the club. 

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

There was no good reason ever expressed that I read as to why the Big Ten said NO to NU going on its own when the first cancel vote was taken with no plans otherwise and after the Big Ten summarily cancelled our non-con games.

I don't think the media needed to spell it out though; in my opinion it was obvious - it was all about two glaring things:

1. It would have seriously undermined the B1G's original decision if we pulled it off safely.

2. The intertwining of the BTN contract and its revenue sharing among the universities.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I don't think the media needed to spell it out though; in my opinion it was obvious - it was all about two glaring things:

1. It would have seriously undermined the B1G's original decision if we pulled it off safely.

2. The intertwining of the BTN contract and its revenue sharing among the universities.

Not to mention the season wasn't cancelled, it was postponed. That's why we dropped the "we'll play on our own then" - if the Winter/Spring season did happen as planned, we wouldn't be ready to play if we'd just had our own fall season. The B1G has made a ton of dumb decisions here, but not allowing us to set up a fall non-conference schedule isn't one of them.

• Fire 1

Its not the media’s job to guess what the Big Ten is doing or why.  That is the Big Ten’s obligation.  

The Big Ten did very well at undermining itself.  NU did everything possible to help the Big Ten avoid a terrible mistake which it made despite NU warnings.  It took a hue and cry and lots of legal exposure to get a correction.   

If NU has to get Big Ten pre-approval to compete outside the conference than that needs fixed.  I think its becoming apparent the Big Ten has little respect for or appreciation of Nebraska as a full

fledged member even after 8 years and full cooperation and loyalty undivided in every way.    I hope we see better things from now on but I  don’t expect it.

• Fire 1
28 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I dont dislike the Big Ten.  I dont recall saying that once.  They just do stupid things that hurt NU for no apparent reason other than spite or something.  They hurt OSU and some others who actually wanted to play a normal season or as close as possible.  Some wanted nothing to do with reg fall sports.  All for one - one for all is all fine and dandy but when others dont want to do anything, no partner ought be penalized for acting reasonably outside the club. 

Nebraska has not been harmed by the actions of the Big Ten. We have been treated the same as every other member of the conference, and we have been treated better than if we had been in any other conference. 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Its not the media’s job to guess what the Big Ten is doing or why.  That is the Big Ten’s obligation.  

The Big Ten did very well at undermining itself.  NU did everything possible to help the Big Ten avoid a terrible mistake which it made despite NU warnings.  It took a hue and cry and lots of legal exposure to get a correction.   

If NU has to get Big Ten pre-approval to compete outside the conference than that needs fixed.  I think its becoming apparent the Big Ten has little respect for or appreciation of Nebraska as a full

fledged member even after 8 years and full cooperation and loyalty undivided in every way.    I hope we see better things from now on but I  don’t expect it.

Competing outside the conference is the dumbest thing ever discussed.  It won't happen, and shouldn't happen.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Like Maverick said earlier guys. The only reason the schedule seems tough is because we have sucked for 15 years. It is on us to change that.

If we were rolling into this year with any of our teams basically from 1970-2001 we would not care who we were playing. We would probably relish the chance to play and beat ohio state, michigan and the rest.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Iowa has played Ohio St 2x since we joined the B10 - we are now at 7x...that isn't a coincidence. Either way we need to start holding up our side of the bargain and win some damn football games. 

No one is claiming it's a coincidence -  Ohio State is our locked East opponent through 2016-2021. We have known that since they re-organized the divisions. And that's what the majority of us wanted when we joined the Big Ten. Even when we suck we're probably the best West team for TV ratings, so there's that angle as well. The conference is not 'out to get us,' this is what we wanted when we joined. It's just poorly timed with the Riley debacle. 

I'm more interested in the rejection of having only divisional games count for the standings, that would've made sense to me. There will always be inequity in the crossover games, I don't really care about that. But it's more drastic when there are only 2 crossover games, so sticking with comparing West records seem fairer. Water under the bridge though.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Iowa has played Ohio St 2x since we joined the B10 - we are now at 7x...that isn't a coincidence. Either way we need to start holding up our side of the bargain and win some damn football games. 

Another way of looking at it - we've played them two fewer times than their arch-rival Michigan in that span, and more than any other West opponent. And that includes the Leaders & Legends years when Illinois, Wisconsin & Purdue were in the same division as the Buckeyes.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It's baffling why the Big Ten has gone with competitively imbalanced cross-over game schedules.  I know why they do it (TV $), but certain teams are penalized by it.  But, you are correct in that NU needs to start living up to their brand name, and be competitive in the cross-over games.