Schedule

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Sounds like the BIG10 was dumb when Delaney was there too. We handed over our competitive balance to drawing a name out of a hat. Come on- is this my work fantasy league draft order selection? The question is when we drew out of the hat did all the pieces of paper say Ohio State? 

This is good fodder for preseason talk before the games start but I really do think the frustration goes away if were just flat out a much better team.

To me, being upset with this has more context if having to play Ohio State was the game screwing us out of going to Indy. But the reality is that we suck, and we're nowhere close to winning our division.  :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Everybody keeps missing the point:

You join a conference to benefit yourself, not everybody else.  There was no good reason ever expressed that I read as to why the Big Ten said NO to NU going on its own when the first cancel vote was taken with no plans otherwise and after the Big Ten summarily cancelled our non-con games.  

That punished NU for being a member while doing nothing to benefit the parnership / conference.   Why?

Are you saying that the conference specifically picked on Nebraska when they canceled the leaguewide non-conference games?  That is insanity to even suggest.  Notre Dame was going to head to Lambeau to play Wisconsin.  PSU had the Hokies on the schedule, OSU had Oregon.  Just those three games alone would have been marquee matchups for the TV Networks...but if losing out on Central Michigan, Cincinnati and South Dakota are that troubling to you...

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Are you saying that the conference specifically picked on Nebraska when they canceled the leaguewide non-conference games?  That is insanity to even suggest.  Notre Dame was going to head to Lambeau to play Wisconsin.  PSU had the Hokies on the schedule, OSU had Oregon.  Just those three games alone would have been marquee matchups for the TV Networks...but if losing out on Central Michigan, Cincinnati and South Dakota are that troubling to you...

No.  I did not say that although it iz hard to tell as the other 13 members remained silent early after the secret vote.   Based on this, the rest of the league said NO to Neb going it alone to save the 50 million dollar loss.  It appears OSU may have felt similarly. Iowa obviously is really suffering to drop sports and I believe others may as well.  The current plan wont save Iowa’s sports and the combined -4 are still losing a big chunk.  Even at  15,000 fans per game for 63 games at $50 = $47,000,000 in just ticket sales.  

Locally, a 3 X econ multiplier is $150 million.  I have no way to estimate the per game TV $ lost.   Add in the extra med costs and the potential for season’s end early.  

Say what you want, some of these losses are unnecessary absent dramatic changes to the status quo vis a vis the epidemic.   

Why not minimize the losses.  A breakeven is long gone but it could have been much less.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No.  I did not say that although it iz hard to tell as the other 13 members remained silent early after the secret vote.   Based on this, the rest of the league said NO to Neb going it alone to save the 50 million dollar loss.  It appears OSU may have felt similarly. Iowa obviously is really suffering to drop sports and I believe others may as well.  The current plan wont save Iowa’s sports and the combined -4 are still losing a big chunk.  Even at  15,000 fans per game for 63 games at $50 = $47,000,000 in just ticket sales.  

Locally, a 3 X econ multiplier is $150 million.  I have no way to estimate the per game TV $ lost.   Add in the extra med costs and the potential for season’s end early.  

Say what you want, some of these losses are unnecessary absent dramatic changes to the status quo vis a vis the epidemic.   

Why not minimize the losses.  A breakeven is long gone but it could have been much less.  

Well the entire world could have minimized financial losses by not shutting business down due to the coronavirus. 

Or they could prolong the damage of the coronavirus to the economy by re-opening too early. 

It's not an easy call, and the entire world is struggling with it.

According to the status quo, a disease that didn't exist a year ago is currently the #3 cause of death in the United States. 

Be happy that we have our college football and let's worry about the bottom line finances a bit later. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

But doesn't playing a nine game season actually now count as "minimizing the losses?"

Is does and it is.  The conference, acting in the interests of its member institutions and the Student-Athletes postponed the season initially and seems to have come up with a plan that maximizes revenue from the outlets it has (to date) deemed safe to pursue.  Mainly TV dollars, which as far as I know fund members athletic departments across the board.  Now we get football.  But everyone should do their part to slow the spread so that we make it to late October.  Letting one member go rogue is absolutely detrimental to the rest of the conference.  It is selfish and, frankly, stupid

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

NU made ~$55 million from the Big Ten in their last payout, this year it's estimated NU will get $40 million from the Big Ten.  The exact payout is still up in the air, but the Big Ten getting 9 games in for this year is minimizing the losses.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This must include the ninth game. 

I'd take five wins with this schedule.

Feels a tad aggressive for a team that has only won six conference games in the last two years combined, but it's about perfect for betting purposes. I'd take the under. I think the team will end up with 3-4 wins this season, but I would happily take 5 with everything going on.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This must include the ninth game. 

I'd take five wins with this schedule.

I would feel good about 5 wins for Nebraska as well.  The head scratcher to me is Indiana with 5.5.  Their crossovers are Wisconsin and Purdue.  Then they play the east.  

7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I would feel good about 5 wins for Nebraska as well.  The head scratcher to me is Indiana with 5.5.  Their crossovers are Wisconsin and Purdue.  Then they play the east.  

Win over Michigan. They are overdue for the upset and Michigan gets a brand new very young, very raw QB this year after McCaffrey left.

That and MSU, Maryland and Rutgers only beat each other. :cowbell:

man it feels good to talk football, am I right? Did the monster CoVID thread die yet?

11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The head scratcher to me is Indiana with 5.5.  Their crossovers are Wisconsin and Purdue.  Then they play the east.

I'd take the under on that one as well, but I think 5.5 is the right over/under. They're now a perennially decent team that doesn't just have a high octane offense but also a good defense as well.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, nic said:

Win over Michigan. They are overdue for the upset and Michigan gets a brand new very young, very raw QB this year after McCaffrey left.

That and MSU, Maryland and Rutgers only beat each other. :cowbell:

man it feels good to talk football, am I right? Did the monster CoVID thread die yet?

Not to derail the post, but why did McCaffrey leave exactly?