What a difference a year makes

lo country

So watching Miami Hurricanes last night, it got me wondering about the addition of Lubick as OC.  How will, if any different the Huskers will look.  Miami picked up Gus Malzahn disciple Rhett Lashlee as OC and it shows.....Herbstreit said that his trade mark is not taking his foot off the gas.  Again it showed.  I also liked this quote:

Lashlee told the media on Monday that “you throw the ball to score but you run the ball to win”   Also talked about getting the ball out quicker to have the OL not pass block as long.  Made me think of Verduzco's philosophy of a quick blinker.  Someone who can see the field and get rid pf the ball.  I bring this all up to wonder if NU on O will look any different under Lubick than it did under Walters.  I know Frost is the OC, but will Lubick have a bigger role?  Will he actually be the OC or in name only?  Will he give the QB less "reads" to play faster and keep the D on their heels.  Play calling the past two years hasn't been stellar at times.

Is this the year NU finally has an offense capable of scoring form anywhere on the field.  Do we actually have success in the screens, quicks outs etc....The ability to get tough yards in the trenches reliably....

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, lo country said:

Is this the year NU finally has an offense capable of scoring form anywhere on the field.  Do we actually have success in the screens, quicks outs etc....The ability to get tough yards in the trenches reliably....

I think those two things, while not completely mutually exclusive, are a bit counter to one another normally.  Unless your "scoring from anywhere on the field" comes from breaking runs or passing things opening up from drawing the defenders up to cover the run.  A power running team usually doesn't sling it all over the yard well, and a pass first team usually can't go 3 yards and a cloud of dust reliably.

It will be interesting to see if Frost can accomplish both but I tend to think it will lean one way and that way being more spread out.  

No reason this year that we shouldn’t be way ahead of the defense in terms of getting the job done. Even with filling in those WR slots (really needed a spring ball but whatever) no excuses. Chinander needs to take a step forward too but without good linebackers on the roster (or perhaps talented young ones that don’t have much experience) there’s almost no way they take that big of a step. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Decked said:

No reason this year that we shouldn’t be way ahead of the defense in terms of getting the job done. Even with filling in those WR slots (really needed a spring ball but whatever) no excuses. Chinander needs to take a step forward too but without good linebackers on the roster (or perhaps talented young ones that don’t have much experience) there’s almost no way they take that big of a step. 

If the LBs understand fits, we're in good shape 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, swmohusker said:

They were so bad last year.  I love Barry’s attitude, but he might have been the worst.  

Alex Davis and Barry were the two weakest links last year on defense. Reimer and Henrich give us a solid rotation at ILB. Throw in EMC and it should be a solid core. OLB I still have 0 idea until they actually can prove it. DLine will be interesting. On paper it looks good but going against the two toughest teams on the schedule in the first two weeks is a recipe for disaster.

• Plus1 1

Rewatched the OSU game from last year. We had LB fit problems, and werent as bad as the score. As for the offense, Martinez was trying to do too much, which is understandable considering our oline's issues, a toxic RB, the lack of perimeter blocking and drive from the WRs. We're going to be more game this year, and don't be surprised if this looks more like the 2018 game, but with improvements on D.

Also, I think a few things are being understated:

-the comfort factor Frost has with Lubick

-Dawson will be an improvement at OLB (helped improve Markus Golden from 2.5 sacks the previous year to 10 sacks

-the defensive analyst we got is legit. Was DC  at BC and was a more than decent considering their level of talent.

-we know who our RB is

-we have a big body WR that can catch the 50-50 balls

While we still have to prove it on field, we look better than we were last year.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

Time will tell.   We know very little and will start the season (however much it turns out to be) with the residue of last year and a bunch of newbies.   We needed badly the non-con games to get some game experience for a dozen or so rookies that are critical to successful play.  Ohio State is a rough way to introduce them.  

Maybe OSU takes us lightly but as they are on a mission to win a title, dont bet on it.  

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, SECHusker said:

Rewatched the OSU game from last year. We had LB fit problems, and werent as bad as the score. As for the offense, Martinez was trying to do too much, which is understandable considering our oline's issues, a toxic RB, the lack of perimeter blocking and drive from the WRs. We're going to be more game this year, and don't be surprised if this looks more like the 2018 game, but with improvements on D.

Also, I think a few things are being understated:

-the comfort factor Frost has with Lubick

-Dawson will be an improvement at OLB (helped improve Markus Golden from 2.5 sacks the previous year to 10 sacks

-the defensive analyst we got is legit. Was DC  at BC and was a more than decent considering their level of talent.

-we know who our RB is

-we have a big body WR that can catch the 50-50 balls

While we still have to prove it on field, we look better than we were last year.

Love your list.   

To expound on the last point, the big body WR's with speed at the split end position not only helps on the 50-50,  they can fight off jams and get deep.  That will open up the offense because safeties have to help.  Really helps to stretch defenses in multiple directions. 

Also agree on the LB fits inside and the OLB play outside.   They are key to the defense's improvement. 

Would add that I love the depth on the OL this year.  Really starting to feel good about the OL room. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

Love your list.   

To expound on the last point, the big body WR's with speed at the split end position not only helps on the 50-50,  they can fight off jams and get deep.  That will open up the offense because safeties have to help.  Really helps to stretch defenses in multiple directions. 

Also agree on the LB fits inside and the OLB play outside.   They are key to the defense's improvement. 

Would add that I love the depth on the OL this year.  Really starting to feel good about the OL room. 

O line group is getting better but has a long way to go to where we can say we love it imo.  A couple injuries and we are right where we’ve been.  imo. 

• Plus1 1