WandaVision

15 hours ago, Ulty said:

WTF???

As I type this, I am halfway thru the first episode, so maybe when it’s over, what they are trying to do will make sense. But for now...WTF?

Yeah, it's a bit ... odd.  Which was too be expected.

My guess is that the first two episodes (at least) are basically just setting up the series so it's more background as opposed to anything reallyhappening.

So, basic rundown of what I think is happening, and what will happen. 

Spoiler

- Wanda is trapped within her own mind somehow. She either did it to herself or someone did it to her to help her cope with the loss of Vision and being erased from existence for 5 years. Her inability to cope with this endangers the entire planet and universe, as she is potentially the most powerful character we know of in the MCU.

- Agnes is Agatha Harkness, a witch who is both an antagonist and confidant to Wanda in the books, and possibly the Big Bad of the series/the person currently trapping Wanda in her mind. 

- The sword icon is for S.W.O.R.D., which in the comics is basically the space version of SHIELD. 

- Wanda being pregnant is a big, big indicator that part of this series is going to adapt the comic storyline called House of M, where (long story short) Wanda and Vision have children, but once Wanda figures out that her kids aren't real, she rewrites all of reality (and depowers/erases all of the mutants in the Marvel Universe). 

- If they go down this path, knowing what we know, I'm going to venture a guess that this is what sets up Phase 4 for the MCU: Wanda figures out that this reality she has concocted is not real and loses her mind, causing her powers to go haywire. This breaks reality down, and leads to Doctor Strange trying to fix it in his next movie: Multiverse of Madness (which Wanda is going to be in, potentially as the Big Bad). This also ties into the next Spider-Man movie, as rumors are heavy that it will be Marvel's adaptation of the Spider-Verse, as both Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield are rumored to reprise their roles as Spidey, Alfred Molina as Doc Ock (from Spider-Man 2), Jamie Foxx as Electro (Amazing Spider-Man 2), and more. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

After reading the initial reviews, I think I'm going to take the same approach to this show as I did with Watchmen on HBO.  Wait for the whole season to air and find a website that can tell me what the heck is happening for the obvious stuff I'm going to miss.

I had read some stuff on it before it came out so I pretty much knew it was going to be along the lines of what @Cdog923 posted above.  

Reading some reviews of the two episodes that are out now that I've seen them, I don't think I missed a whole lot.  Mainly missed some of the references to stuff from the comic books that hasn't come up in the MCU yet.  

I do think it's helpful to have some background premise of the show because they haven't explained any of it in the show yet.  But if you're familiar with the MCU (and I haven't even watched much of the TV stuff, just the movies) you don't have too much trouble catching on.  They are also dropping some stuff in the show that hasn't been explained yet but I'm sure it will start to be put together as the season goes on.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I had read some stuff on it before it came out so I pretty much knew it was going to be along the lines of what @Cdog923 posted above.  

Reading some reviews of the two episodes that are out now that I've seen them, I don't think I missed a whole lot.  Mainly missed some of the references to stuff from the comic books that hasn't come up in the MCU yet.  

I do think it's helpful to have some background premise of the show because they haven't explained any of it in the show yet.  But if you're familiar with the MCU (and I haven't even watched much of the TV stuff, just the movies) you don't have too much trouble catching on.  They are also dropping some stuff in the show that hasn't been explained yet but I'm sure it will start to be put together as the season goes on.

Ok, that's good to know.  I'm in the same boat as you in that I've seen the movies in the MCU but haven't watched any of the TV shows.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:44 PM, Xmas32 said:

Ok, that's good to know.  I'm in the same boat as you in that I've seen the movies in the MCU but haven't watched any of the TV shows.

I should have added that the show is definitely designed to be mysterious.  They are teasing a lot of things that won't be explained until later.  I think everyone is supposed to be confused as to what is happening.  So just a basic background should be plenty to get people going.

It will be interesting to see if a lot of the Easter eggs from the comics end up having much to do with the actual plot or they are just throwing that stuff in there because they can.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to WandaVision