SI and America think Nebraskans are babies

Redux

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It does seem like they're going out of their way to be vocal about how they feel, much more so than usual.

Not sure if that's a marketing strategy, just a reaction of the stress of the last few months, or what. But it seems intentional.

I think they feel (we can argue about whether that's an objective rationale or not), but they feel they're being singled out by the conference and national media. And evidently they've decided they're not going to sit silently by and take it.

Whether or not this is sound media strategy is yet to be determined, but I applaud them for sticking up for themselves (albeit not always in the most friendly media interpretive manner).

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I got over what Pat Forde has to say about Nebraska football a loooong time ago. And some in the national media do have a hard on for Nebraska and they like to pull our chain. That’s just a fact. Desmond had all kinds of sh#t to say about us but he didn’t say d#ck about tOSU saying basically the same things we were. I don’t think a lot of these national pundits understand that Nebraska fans won’t ever give it up. They want us to abandon the team and become fair weather fans because that’s what so many others would do, so it sort of bothers them that we never just go away and collectively we do live on past glories a bit. It’s just the way it is. We want to think of ourselves as relevant but we really haven’t been to anyone outside Huskerland for a long time.

Having said that, we have way too many fans playing the woe is me card. Did the B1G structure the schedule against us on purpose? IDK probably..... personally I like our schedule but I also think they tried to make it extra tough on us after calling them out and being vocal about wanting to play. I just don’t care if they did and I’m not gonna whine about it.  Hell I’d exchange Illinois for Michigan on our schedule tomorrow.

When we’ve actually done something in this league, or in the last twenty years, and THEN they screw us over, then I might b!^@h a little. As it is we’re one of the easier W’s in the B1G right now so of course the schedule is going to seem tough to us, because it is. Ohio State’s schedule looks easy because they’re freakin loaded and a top 4 team. That’s just the way it works. I’m excited to have them first and Wiscy in week two. God knows playing those teams later in the year hasn’t worked out well for us.

Totally agree with this post with this added caveat. You could make the argument that it were not for Nebraska and its players and its coaches and its stance, and then dragging along an originally recalcitrant OSU, that the Big Ten very well might not be playing at all this fall, nor the pac-12 nor the others that are reconsidering. It would just be nice among all the cheap shots to at least acknowledge that someone had to start the train.....

And the absolute bonkers thing is, if we somehow go 7-2 this year and win a bowl game (if there is one), they will 100% change their tune about us next year. We'll be cast as heroes for fighting for football.

Everyone loves a winner. That's all these national pundits do - they jump from bandwagon to bandwagon to sell their headlines.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What Forde says comes from a place of disdain.  But underneath the disgust towards us is a lot of harsh truths that many clearly don't want to admit.

What Desmond said came from a place of knee jerk reaction from a 3rd rate analyst only there because....I honestly don't know why he's there.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Comish said:

Totally agree with this post with this added caveat. You could make the argument that it were not for Nebraska and its players and its coaches and its stance, and then dragging along an originally recalcitrant OSU, that the Big Ten very well might not be playing at all this fall, nor the pac-12 nor the others that are reconsidering. It would just be nice among all the cheap shots to at least acknowledge that someone had to start the train.....

Agreed. It would be nice to be receiving at least some of that credit instead of being portrayed as petulant children who don't know their place. But as we realize, most of the bad mouthing is done to generate clicks and some of it is done by those with a chip on their shoulder because of our past dominance (aka Pat Forde).

When Nebraska was campaigning to play no matter what, I think the national perception was in our favor.  That ended when they announced a start date and we didn't like what we saw.  Moos had a legitimate gripe, but I wish that would've stayed in the war room.  Unless we actually have some form of plans to seek greener pastures there is no reason to continue a grudge match with the Overloards.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Redux said:

And if we opened with Rutgers and didn't play Ohio State at all the narrative would be "The Big Ten is trying to keep us out of the title game by making our schedule too soft!  They don't want us to make a title game or get ranked too high!".

I do agree we came off a little whinny because of a small majority that was actually upset and some people just making jokes... But there is no way that this would be the narrative from even the biggest kool aid drinkers.  

Just now, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I do agree we came off a little whinny because of a small majority that was actually upset and some people just making jokes... But there is no way that this would be the narrative from even the biggest kool aid drinkers.  

Eh, avoid Facebook Husker fan pages.  I have little doubt in my hypothetical.  The poop gets deep.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

What Forde says comes from a place of disdain.  But underneath the disgust towards us is a lot of harsh truths that many clearly don't want to admit.

What Desmond said came from a place of knee jerk reaction from a 3rd rate analyst only there because....I honestly don't know why he's there.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, anything Pat Forde has to say about Nebraska football has to be taken with a grain of salt. It really doesn't matter if he's right or if he's wrong, his predisposition disqualifies him. I don't care about any of these jokers harsh truths because our fans run the gamut from excessively delusional to painstakingly realistic, as any fanbase does. Any attempt to paint the whole fanbase one way or the other is incorrect. It has to be because we aren't all the same. And Desmond is just a f#ckin clown that should be thanking God every day he still has that job.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

We - the team, the coaches, the fans - should stop asking for respect and focus on earning respect instead.
The rest of the nation is right. We’ve been acting like entitled babies for about 20 years now. If we continue to live in the glorious world of yesteryear, we’ll live in that world forever. 

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Except that it was the AD who was the one coming off whiny. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Bleeding_RED said:

Any Husker fan following Forde on Twitter should unfollow him.  Also stop clicking on his articles.   That's the only way to get at him.

This is what contributes to Nebraska football fans’ delusion that the rest of the college football world is out to get us. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1