SI and America think Nebraskans are babies

Redux

There's no realistic way to gage trh fan base as a whole.  Therefore it has to be taken in samples.  And even 100 people surveyed for Family Feud there are weirdos answering things nobody would normally think of.

But as a majority, and I'm not alone on this, our fanbase has been largely insufferable in terms of our schedule.  Go back a couple months. Was it any better when people were trying to convince eachother that going back to the Big 12 was a legitimate option or a good idea.  This off season and the threst of no football brought some real stupidity out, whether it was out of sadness or fear or boredom I don't know.

Pat Forde is a prick.  But he had some valid critiques even if they weren't worded favorable towards us.  Ignoring everything someone says just because you don't like most their views is fine, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

12 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I mean all he said was we didn't catch a break with the schedule, which is true. I think in the long run playing better teams is better but it doesn't mean playing rutgers instead of osu or psu wouldn't have been a break this year. 

That and how we deserved a break.  And how he wasn't happy about the schedule.

• Plus1 3

On paper it sounds whiny, in person it may sound different. Agreed that it doesn’t come off well, but emotions aside OSU plays Illinois and NU. It again makes B1G weak when looking at CFP, most contenders are playing 11 games this year? Doesn’t look good when we complain about schedules of the SEC and this year shouldn’t matter if it does indeed negatively affect OSU, it again leaves zero margin of error for 1-loss teams in the B1G. No one likes an I told you, so the whiners get scapegoated. 

We have had a tougher schedule in the west than our rivals.  Kudos to moos for making it public.  We will get some "Nebraska is being a baby" articles but it has made the sports world in general aware.  I'm guessing he knew it wouldn't help this year but may in future schedule negotiations.  

All of that said, the fan in me says bring it on!  

Any team has a better shot at winning their division with easier crossover games - that is a proven fact. Our fanbase says something like "Can't wait for Ohio State" then we are a 5 win team that got destroyed by them last year and should shut up. OR we say well isn't that ironic they place us on the road week 1 vs the best team in the B10 and we are like that's petty by the B10. "CRYBABIES!" 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, Redux said:

When Nebraska was campaigning to play no matter what, I think the national perception was in our favor.  That ended when they announced a start date and we didn't like what we saw.  Moos had a legitimate gripe, but I wish that would've stayed in the war room.  Unless we actually have some form of plans to seek greener pastures there is no reason to continue a grudge match with the Overloards.

I agree. Publicly airing your displeasure with the schedule does not change the schedule. Nothing we complain about publicly would change the schedule so it is pointless- it only does harm- no good.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, complaining about the schedule should've stayed there. Only counting division games for the standings i show it should be in the first place so complaining about that makes sense, but especially since it was the mostly the original schedule it's not a good look. I believe Moos' point is this - we could go 5-0 in West (not saying we will, maybe 4-1 is a better example), and probably won't be in first place in the West. I don't like arguing that the schedule should be easier or more "fair," since it will never be unless everyone play everyone.

But it's totally fair to complain about the crossovers counting. Because say we do have a breakout year, beat Wisconsin for their only West loss but drop a game to Iowa or Minnesota. We're tied with Wisconsin and possibly Iowa or Minnesota at 5-1 in division, but are probably 5-3 overall. The tie breaker should be head to head if it's a two way tie, and whatever else they use if it's a three way tie - not who did you match up with from the other division this year. Putting the cart way before the horse, but it's a stupid system to begin with and that's an easy fix in my mind.