RIP: Gale Sayers

TGHusker

This is indirectly a Nebraska post as I think Gale Sayers is the greatest recruit who slipped through our fingers. He was a star RB in Omaha.  He was committed to the Huskers and then at the last minute switched to Kansas.

I wonder what the BobFather could have accomplished with him on the field.  Maybe an earlier national championship :dunno- not an unreasonable thought.  Sayers could dominate games like few others - both in college and the pros.   I believe that if he had not had his knee injuries in the NFL and was able to continue his career,  I think we would still be thinking of him as the NFL's all time greatest RB.  He was art in motion.

Well, Mr Sayers passed away today at age 77.  He had been living wt dementia for the past 5 years.   Those of us who were blessed to see him run (I was a pre-teener then but I still remember) were fortunate.   Of course, many remember his story/friendship with Brian Piccolo - the other rookie Chicago Bear RB as shown in the movie Brian's Song.  After watching the movie for the first time as a young high schooler, I went into the bathroom a lone and cried alligator tears - first movie that affected me this way - and still does today.   

The day Gale Sayers burned Nebraska on a 99 yard run:

https://omaha.com/sports/local-sports/gale-sayers-the-hall-of-fame-running-back-from-omaha-dies-at-77/article_07d4f244-471a-54de-a5e8-688efff06149.amp.html

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

40 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

First thing I thought of when I heard the news was the joy to see Pic again.  I bet that was quite a reunion for them.  Watched the original movie a couple of weeks ago.  Quite a story of what the love and grace of God can be between two people who know the Oneness of God.

Amen. 

7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This is indirectly a Nebraska post as I think Gale Sayers is the greatest recruit who slipped through our fingers. He was a star RB in Omaha.  He was committed to the Huskers and then at the last minute switched to Kansas.

I wonder what the BobFather could have accomplished with him on the field.  Maybe an earlier national championship :dunno- not an unreasonable thought.  Sayers could dominate games like few others - both in college and the pros.   I believe that if he had not had his knee injuries in the NFL and was able to continue his career,  I think we would still be thinking of him as the NFL's all time greatest RB.  He was art in motion.

Well, Mr Sayers passed away today at age 77.  He had been living wt dementia for the past 5 years.   Those of us who were blessed to see him run (I was a pre-teener then but I still remember) were fortunate.   Of course, many remember his story/friendship with Brian Piccolo - the other rookie Chicago Bear RB as shown in the movie Brian's Song.  After watching the movie for the first time as a young high schooler, I went into the bathroom a lone and cried alligator tears - first movie that affected me this way - and still does today.   

The day Gale Sayers burned Nebraska on a 99 yard run:

https://omaha.com/sports/local-sports/gale-sayers-the-hall-of-fame-running-back-from-omaha-dies-at-77/article_07d4f244-471a-54de-a5e8-688efff06149.amp.html

Who is the lame voice on this video ?

You owe it to yourself to watch some of the Sayers highlight films on YouTube. My son got big into the NFL playing Madden, and was always asking who was this greatest this or that. When it came to running backs, I told him Gale Sayers was the most talented, the most fun to watch. We watched clips together and he didn't disagree.

2 hours ago, huskered17 said:

Remember that run. Thought Kent Mc would catch him, lol.

He didn't slip through our fingers, the BobFather should have offered him a scholarship. 

GBR!!!

I am not sure about the details of Sayers' recruitment coming out of high school, but I think part of Sayers decision to go to KU was the way African-Americans were treated at UNL at the time and pressure he felt from UNL alumni.  He was committed to NU for a short time, so how is that Devaney "didn't offer a scholarship to Sayers"?

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not sure about the details of Sayers' recruitment coming out of high school, but I think part of Sayers decision to go to KU was the way African-Americans were treated at UNL at the time and pressure he felt from UNL alumni.  He was committed to NU for a short time, so how is that Devaney "didn't offer a scholarship to Sayers"?

Devaney didn't offer him a scholarship because he wasn't Nebraska's coach at the time.

• Plus1 1