J.D. Spielman

Huskers93-97

This is further evidence how much Nebraska lacks talent. Lack of draft picks, the guys who have stuck in the NFL the last few years have just been practice squad guys. Now our top playmaker for the last 2 years goes to TCU and is 3rd string. It is hard to argue that Frost has not had the talent. I am sure Spielman will rise as he learns the playbook perhaps. But elite talent is not 3rd string.

24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

This is further evidence how much Nebraska lacks talent. Lack of draft picks, the guys who have stuck in the NFL the last few years have just been practice squad guys. Now our top playmaker for the last 2 years goes to TCU and is 3rd string. It is hard to argue that Frost has not had the talent. I am sure Spielman will rise as he learns the playbook perhaps. But elite talent is not 3rd string.

That's stretching it a bit.

You have no clue if he came to TCU with the same work ethic that he came here with.  He may have been busting his a$$ the last 3 years here and has lost interest in playing (part of a reason maybe for leaving) and showed up there out of shape and not working as hard.

I fully agree we need better talent and better development of that talent.  But, I fail to see this as evidence by itself.

• Plus1 2

He is listed as OR so he's really tied for 2nd string behind the starter. Brand new school and brand new playbook it's not fair to judge him vs kids who have been in the system for years. I'd expect him to rise as the season goes on, but if he doesn't that'll be interesting.

However, I do agree that arguably our top offensive weapon last year transferring schools and being listed as an OR 2nd stringer shows that our talent level is not at a place it needs to be. If our best offensive weapon last year is a backup on TCU then our talent issues are bad. I still think JD is better than that though.

51 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think there's a pretty good argument that JD Spielman is talented enough. Lots and lots of factors must be going into him being 3rd string. 

I think we forget sometimes that every offense is different and that theres a learning curve that prevents video game style plug and play

• Plus1 3

Ehh... yeah, this feels like a bit of a stretch. I think it would take a pretty immense talent (or an underwhelming roster) to go to another D1 school and be their top wide receiver. I think JD is plenty talented within his own right and I'm not sure if it's really fair to use that as a reflection of Nebraska's talent.

At this point, I think I'd rather have JD on Nebraska's roster than not.

• Plus1 4

4 hours ago, Undone said:

Which if true, seems like it would have just been easiest to do that here, with a lot of factors weighing in.

The whole situation was both interesting and disappointing.

I have pondered if praise by the staff (Frost) over Wan’Dale lead to JD feeling alienated or threatened by this upcoming seasons usage for him. 

Would love JDs skill on the field, but gut feeling is this is addition by distraction.(subtraction. Lol whoops)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I don't particularly care.  And maybe the -OR- is just a nod to the guy who's been there longer - albeit a guy who only caught 11 passes last year.

But the guys who are the on the #2 line at the other two WR spots are a true freshman and a JUCO who came in last year but didn't catch a pass.  So they aren't exactly loaded at receiver.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
38 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I have pondered if praise by the staff (Frost) over Wan’Dale lead to JD feeling alienated or threatened by this upcoming seasons usage for him. 

Would love JDs skill on the field, but gut feeling is this is addition by distraction.

There is a lot to this.  JD was rumored to be so so on being a husker and wandale is over the top excited.  It's possible that JD was going to be a OR here and decided to finally jump for what felt like greener grass.

• Mavric changed the title to J.D. Spielman