J.D. Spielman

Huskers93-97

Just now, Hilltop said:

Watching TCU vs Texas today.  He has a few ok returns but otherwise he has been a non factor in the game.

Yeah. I can't help but think this can't be what he wanted when he decided to transfer. He's barely seeing the field there, but he figured to be an every-down WR here.

It'll come out some day what all transpired to make him transfer. We have not heard the whole story.

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah. I can't help but think this can't be what he wanted when he decided to transfer. He's barely seeing the field there, but he figured to be an every-down WR here.

It'll come out some day what all transpired to make him transfer. We have not heard the whole story.

I'd be interested in that as well.

He's not getting a lot of opportunities, but at the same time I don't feel he's their best receiver at all.

JD was very good NU. But how would he stack up at a school with equal or better talent?  As a diehard Husker fan, I get caught up in our "talent" level..  On paper we look as good or better than most in the B1G and definitely more than  the West.  It just hasn't translated to wins....So then I realize that maybe JD looks so good on our team, because he is one of the better players we have, but might only crack the 1's at lower tier FBS teams.......... ie NU, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers......That's where we are now.  Not to be a a$$, but maybe JD is not that talented at a  lot of other schools.  TCU has  tall/big receivers.  JD is not. They are using him in a roll he us best suited in their scheme.  And it's probably not going to be as a #1 receiver.  Dude gave his all to NU.  Left it on the field.  Know idea what went down, but good for both parties with the no drama break up.  More reason to respect what he did here.....

• Plus1 3

Still the question remains as to why we can’t recruit and keep good talent. Every time we get excited about a good recruit, we find out that they want to transfer. Texas and Tom Herman seem to be on the right path even if they lost today...I can’t wait to see what Frost has done this past year...I guess we will find out on October 24.

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Still the question remains as to why we can’t recruit and keep good talent. Every time we get excited about a good recruit, we find out that they want to transfer. Texas and Tom Herman seem to be on the right path even if they lost today...I can’t wait to see what Frost has done this past year...I guess we will find out on October 24.

You're watching a different movie than I am friend. His name is on hot seat lists this year, (as is Frost for what that's worth), but Herman didn't win a title at Texas as a player to give him extra leash.  They don't take kindly to losing to TCU and being irrelevant nationally with their level of resources and program support, just like Nebraska.  There really isn't an excuse to not be great at Texas where you can build a top 15 recruiting class every year without leaving the state.  If they go 6-4 or 5-5 this year I could see him getting fired, they get OU next week and would be back at .500 with an L.  They also just escaped Tech last week in OT and gave up 50+.

That's my long winded way of saying I disagree they are on the right track,  haha.

• Plus1 2

I'm not sure why JD chose TCU, but I think there are a few factors in why he's not playing a ton. A lot is he didn't get the normal spring/fall camp. No one did, but it affects newcomers more. But he's also a true slot WR, and seems like the guy playing ahead of him is like our slot position - sort of the Duck-R. He plays some in the backfield and gets some pop passes, and those really aren't Spielman's game. He's got some moves, but really doesn't break tackles and even on punt returns pretty much looks for a seam and hits that, not a super dynamic ball carrier. 

So not sure why he'd transfer somewhere that has a similarly questionable position fit, but as others have said I'm sure there's more to the story than we've heard. 

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

I see it a bit different. His team won and its warm. 

We will miss him. As a hard nosed, albeit slightly overrated player. 

• Haha 1

JD Spielman opens up on leaving Nebraska and why he sees better days ahead at TCU

I met a lot of great people at Nebraska. A lot of friends that at the end of the day felt more like family than they felt like friends. It was hard to get up and leave that. But you also have to do what’s best for you and your career

Riding the pine for the sake of your career?

XHBO47j.jpg

Maybe if you don't see your future career being in football...

• Haha 2

A healthy Martinez would have helped last year. JD was hung out to dry on routes way too many times. He suffered some huge hits and it is very discouraging, enough to transfer? I have no idea about that. Maybe he felt it best to leave than cause any issues on the team giving his real reasons.

Hope he does well the remainder of the season and stays healthy!

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

• Mavric changed the title to J.D. Spielman