J.D. Spielman

Huskers93-97

JD was a very good player in MN and in Lincoln.  Period.  He will be missed but he will be replaced with another very good player(s).

Until he publicly declares the reasons he had for leaving, I think it best the speculation be stopped.  It is not good for any relevant parties whether accurate or not.   People need some modicum of privacy and respect - its hard to find in too many places already.   Wish him well and next man up!    

• Plus1 3

It seems incredibly disingenuous and unfair to suggest JD is somehow on an echelon below two Nebraska WRs who haven't even played a meaningful snap for the team.

Over the last 10-15 years, our best contributors have often been players many of us didn't expect much of, or, players who didn't come in with a lot of hype. I feel like we've had more Devine Ozigbo's make a statement in recent years than we had Omar Manning's.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

JD was running away with receiving records because he was the first WR that played his entire Husker career in an offense that threw the ball 35+ times a game and every offense he played in featured the slot receiver as a primary target.

At its core concept, that's just not true. 

• Plus1 2

Spielman was a solid player for Nebraska. But let’s have a level head about him. Our receiving and passing history books should all get re written the next 10 years because we have historically run the ball. 15 years ago we switched schemes and have been an average to below average program with average to below average talent. We have a modern offensive scheme with talent level rising. 

So I would be careful thinking someone is better than they really are just because they have good receiving stats for Nebraska. He would be an asset to our team, but in a few years when we have wandale, betts type talent on the field and developed I don’t think spielman would be a starter 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Spielman was a solid player for Nebraska. But let’s have a level head about him. Our receiving and passing history books should all get re written the next 10 years because we have historically run the ball. 15 years ago we switched schemes and have been an average to below average program with average to below average talent. We have a modern offensive scheme with talent level rising. 

So I would be careful thinking someone is better than they really are just because they have good receiving stats for Nebraska. He would be an asset to our team, but in a few years when we have wandale, betts type talent on the field and developed I don’t think spielman would be a starter 

This is true, but that doesn't mean we can't honor the work the guys who got us there have done. 

Nate Swift and Todd Peterson will eventually be buried in the record books, but those two dudes were crucial to any success we had in their era, same as JD was to our last few years. 

I think those people who are trying to minimize his importance (not you) are doing so partially out of a sense of anger or frustration that he chose to leave. 

• Plus1 3

All I know is the Speilman passed the eyeball test, game after game, almost literally putting his life on the line on some of those crossing patterns. Go back into the game threads and remember how we marveled what a baller he was. 

Also, people who evaluate football talent as a profession had Speilman slotted to be drafted in the second round if he'd come out early, in an NFL draft famously loaded with receivers. I really don't see the point in dragging J.D. down, although I know why folks here are doing it. 

J.D. appears to have had (or is still having) a crisis of conscience with football. I wish him luck. 

• Plus1 4
On 9/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

All I know is the Speilman passed the eyeball test, game after game, almost literally putting his life on the line on some of those crossing patterns. Go back into the game threads and remember how we marveled what a baller he was. 

Also, people who evaluate football talent as a profession had Speilman slotted to be drafted in the second round if he'd come out early, in an NFL draft famously loaded with receivers. I really don't see the point in dragging J.D. down, although I know why folks here are doing it. 

J.D. appears to have had (or is still having) a crisis of conscience with football. I wish him luck. 

Look I generally agree with the point you are making but J.D. was not even remotely considered a second rounder had he come out last year; he was projected as a Day 3 to UDFA guy everywhere serious. Tyler Johnson from Minnesota was a much better player than him and went R5. J.D. isn't even listed in any top 100 players for this upcoming draft.

I have nothing but respect for him for playing hard and making plays on three bad Husker teams and standing up for the stuff he did off the field. He was a good player who would have helped us and I wish he were still here. Our team is certainly going to need some big leaps to replace him and the fanbase is being overly optimistic about the chances of that happening. But we also didn't just lose prime Randy Moss or anything, and I think there's a likely universe where our receiving corps is a lot better this year overall than it was last year.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

Look I generally agree with the point you are making but J.D. was not even remotely considered a second rounder had he come out last year; he was projected as a Day 3 to UDFA guy everywhere serious. Tyler Johnson from Minnesota was a much better player than him and went R5. J.D. isn't even listed in any top 100 players for this upcoming draft.

I have nothing but respect for him for playing hard and making plays on three bad Husker teams and standing up for the stuff he did off the field. He was a good player who would have helped us and I wish he were still here. Our team is certainly going to need some big leaps to replace him and the fanbase is being overly optimistic about the chances of that happening. But we also didn't just lose prime Randy Moss or anything, and I think there's a likely universe where our receiving corps is a lot better this year overall than it was last year.

Very good, level-headed post here.

• Mavric changed the title to J.D. Spielman