Nebraska-Penn State

tmfr15

A message exchange on my social media compared Penn State and Nebraska. Someone, obviously an NU hater, said that he would like to see that match up annually because Penn State always destroyed Nebraska. Met with the fact that history says this simply isn't the case, the Penn State backer said we should compare records over the last 15 years. So I did. Then I just focused on the last five.

Here's the result:

Last 15

139-55  psu
116-79 nu

Last 5

49-17 psu
28-34 nu

Without the last five, it's almost dead even.

We're obviously going through a down time due to Riley's influence and hoping Scott gets us rolling back to 9-plus wins.

So wins and losses aside...

Is Penn State that much better than us?

Would anybody want this to be annual as it was under the Leaders AND Legends set up?

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

A message exchange on my social media compared Penn State and Nebraska. Someone, obviously an NU hater, said that he would like to see that match up annually because Penn State always destroyed Nebraska. Met with the fact that history says this simply isn't the case, the Penn State backer said we should compare records over the last 15 years. So I did. Then I just focused on the last five.

Here's the result:

Last 15

139-55  psu
116-79 nu

Last 5

49-17 psu
28-34 nu

We're obviously going through a down time due to Riley's influence and hoping Scott gets us rolling back to 9-plus wins.

So wins and losses aside...

Is Penn State that much better than us?

Would anybody want this to be annual as it was under the Leaders AND Legends set up?

PSU has great depth and has recruited very well year in year out. We are not there. They are in a great location for recruiting and do quite well along the mid-atlantic region. Bo’B was great during his tenure and held that program together during the Sandusky fallout, he made Hackenberg look good before Franklin arrived and opened the offense up. Franklin needed year 3 and a couple early losses to get his team on track before knocking off Michigan and making their run to what we see today. 

The biggest knock I have for PSU is their inability to step on a teams throat and put them away. I think that’s more a mentality than talent or game planning. 

I’d enjoy this as our permanent rivalry, love me some yuengling, Primanti Bros, and catching an October game would be great scenery.

2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

Seriously?  It is nowhere near "dead even".  23 wins is a significant lead in 15 years.  During that 15 year stretch, they have 6 seasons with 11 wins.  Nebraska has zero.  During that 15 years, they had a better record 11 times.  During the same period, they have 7 bowl wins to our 5 and they missed out on 2 years of bowls due to sanctions.

I am a Nebraska fan but it is clear Penn State has been the significantly better program over the last 15 years.  Prior to 2005, we were a dramatically better program than they were.    

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

because Penn State always destroyed Nebraska.

I mean ... they've definitely been better recently.

They won the last matchup (2017) in a shootout.

But we won the four games prior to that.  We are 4-2 against them since the turn of the century and 9-8 overall including 8-4 against them since the late 50s.  So he's being a little hyperbolic there.

tenor.gif?itemid=16636837

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Seriously?  It is nowhere near "dead even".  23 wins is a significant lead in 15 years.  During that 15 year stretch, they have 6 seasons with 11 wins.  Nebraska has zero.  During that 15 years, they had a better record 11 times.  During the same period, they have 7 bowl wins to our 5 and they missed out on 2 years of bowls due to sanctions.

I am a Nebraska fan but it is clear Penn State has been the significantly better program over the last 15 years.  Prior to 2005, we were a dramatically better program than they were.    

I'm pretty sure when he said "Without the last five, it's almost dead even" it would mean the 10 years before the last 5.  So, if my math is right, that means we had 88 wins and they had 90.

PSU =  139-49=90

NU = 116-28=88

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure when he said "Without the last five, it's almost dead even" it would mean the 10 years before the last 5.  So, if my math is right, that means we had 88 wins and they had 90.

PSU =  139-49=90

NU = 116-28=88

That makes more sense.  Thanks

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

It helped that they had their 3rd string vs our 1st string. That game sucked, but had a fun time tailgating

How do you figure that? Saquan Barkley had 3TDs.  McSorley threw for 325 yards and 3 TDs.  Their three leading receivers all played.

And that was one of the worst defenses the Huskers had ever rolled out.  

Why are we using overall records as the criteria when there is more than a handful of head to head matchups to look at? I guess it just depends which side wants to tout a preconceived position.

The original claim was that “Penn State always destroyed Nebraska”. That is simply not true. And then people started listing overall records which has absolutely nothing to do with PSU historically destroying us or not....:facepalm:

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
57 minutes ago, Mavric said:

How do you figure that? Saquan Barkley had 3TDs.  McSorley threw for 325 yards and 3 TDs.  Their three leading receivers all played.

And that was one of the worst defenses the Huskers had ever rolled out.  

They pulled a lot of starters on defense, such as Marcus Allen their safety. There were some clean jerseys on defense in that 4th quarter and it was a cold drizzle all game long on natural grass. My wife was whooping it up and I was shaking my head until the guy sitting next to me hands me his flask and says I need it more than he does! Lol