2020 Presidential Debates Round 1 - Game Thread

admo

The behavior Trump exhibited last night is nothing new. He did the same kind of stuff back in 2016 when debating Clinton. His bombastic and lawless attitude was seen as an endearing strategy that pushed back against the status quo of "American politics."

It was marginally more believable back then because it fit nicely into his "drain the swamp" platform, but four years later, he hasn't drained any swamp and he has fallen flat on MOST of his biggest campaign platforms from four years ago:

- Build a wall and make the Mexicans pay for it: NOPE

- 'Drain the swamp': NOPE

- Not rule by executive order: NOPE (he has signed 187 in less than four years in office; for comparison, Obama did 276 in eight years)

- "Fix trade deals": give this one a PARTIAL

- Repeal Obamacare: NOPE

He's a poor excuse for a president.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh I think Sanders would have done much better and really I think Joe did a good job.  But Sanders, while not a dynamic speaker, has a laid back but still sort of hard a$$ way about it.

Sanders is a so-so debater. He tends to fall back on the same talking points (billionaires are bad).

As far as last night, I think the thread should keep away from the false equivalency trap. Let's not act like the debate last night was a national embarrassment for any other reason than Trump. 

If Biden didn't respond back with quips, he's weak. If he let's Trump talk over him, he's weak. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Sanders is a so-so debater. He tends to fall back on the same talking points (billionaires are bad).

As far as last night, I think the thread should keep away from the false equivalency trap. Let's not act like the debate last night was a national embarrassment for any other reason than Trump. 

If Biden didn't respond back with quips, he's weak. If he let's Trump talk over him, he's weak. 

I think the ONLY spot Joe missed was this when they were talking about appointing a judge and 

Trump:  "Elections have consequences"

Joe said nothing but should have said "And the last 3 years have shown us how bad those consequences can be"

• Plus1 4

Not to look too far forward, as the VP debate is next week...

But the next presidential debate is of course the town hall debate. This is Biden's best format and Trump's worst, IMO, because the former is much better at talking to everyday people who aren't his adoring fans. Of course, I'm HIGHLY biased, but I watched Trump's last town hall a couple weeks ago on ABC. It was incredibly bad. Only "undecided" voters were allowed to ask questions, but they did ask some very tough questions of Trump, and he fell back entirely on talking points.

Several people said afterwards they were upset because he wasn't answering anyone's actual questions. Several of them could tell he was lying to their faces.

Trump is terrible at talking to people who aren't donning MAGA hats. It will be critical how the moderator reacts or chooses not to - it could very easily be worse than this one.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I would say go ahead and have the VP debates if you want, but no more between Trump and Biden. That s***show from Trump last night was all I needed to see to know how the next would be like. 

They gotta do the next debate. It's a town hall with actual voters. Americans need to see Trump treat everyday people like he treated Wallace. It will be a disaster. 

• Plus1 3

54 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

They gotta do the next debate. It's a town hall with actual voters. Americans need to see Trump treat everyday people like he treated Wallace. It will be a disaster. 

I really hope there are some people there that are like the woman who told him to be quiet and let her finish asking the question.

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Wallace had to know walking in that this was going to happen. There's zero chance they could allow Dear Leader to shoulder the blame for that shitshow. 

• Plus1 2