2020 Presidential Debates Round 1 - Game Thread

admo

3 minutes ago, admo said:

I am sorry, but the commander in chief of the United States is the most powerful position of the world.  It should not be thought as a position for just a figurehead (With no offense to some US presidents of the very past) or a slogan to get behind (change, hope, maga, vote blue no matter who). 

And I will stand behind who I voted for. 

Bush over Gore (the man who thought he invented the internet lol)
Kerry over Bush
Obama over McCain
Romney over Barack Obama
Trump over Hilary Clinton

Biden is only a party rep token IMHO.  And I have no problem with anyone voting for a particular party.  Because I prefer a certain party too.  But Biden is not cut out for this powerful job full time, for 4 years.  And not only will he be 82 and not relateable to people under 50, 40, 30, 20, etc., but he will be the most powerful man in the world.  And while Trump is getting up there too (not quite as much as Biden) he has been involved in the grind every day for almost 4 years now.  

And that's just one thing to think about.  Because our amazing, beautiful, country needs more than just a figurehead with fluffy political coach speak and a mask.  I mean, anybody can look at a camera, point and say "the American people"... over and over.  Even Enhance lol.  But seriously, I think the warning signs have been there about Biden before the DNC, even though the DNP wanted him to be that figurehead representing the party and toting the line. 

Your thought process is you'd rather have a lying, tin foil hat wearing, narcissist as president over somebody who has been in politics for over 40 years because they're old?

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Chris Wallace - responds.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/09/30/chris-wallace-calls-debate-a-terrible-missed-opportunity/

“I never dreamt that it would go off the tracks the way it did,” he said.

In his first interview since the chaotic and often incoherent spectacle — in which a pugilistic Mr. Trump relentlessly interrupted opponent and moderator alike — Mr. Wallace conceded that he had been slow to recognize that the president was not going to cease flouting the debate’s rules.

“I’ve read some of the reviews, I know people think, Well, gee, I didn’t jump in soon enough,” Mr. Wallace said, his voice betraying some hoarseness from the previous night’s proceedings. “I guess I didn’t realize — and there was no way you could, hindsight being 20/20 — that this was going to be the president’s strategy, not just for the beginning of the debate but the entire debate.”

Recalling his thoughts as he sat onstage, with tens of millions of Americans watching live, Mr. Wallace said: “I’m a pro. I’ve never been through anything like this.”

Mr. Trump’s bullying behavior had no obvious precedent in presidential debates, even the one that Mr. Wallace previously moderated, to acclaim, in 2016. In the interview, the anchor said that when Mr. Trump initially engaged directly with Mr. Biden, “I thought this was great — this is a debate!”

But as the president gave no sign of backing off, Mr. Wallace said, he grew more alarmed. “If I didn’t try to seize control of the debate — which I don’t know that I ever really did — then it was going to just go completely off the tracks,” he said.

Asked what he was feeling when he called the debate to a temporary halt — instructing the candidates that “the country would be better served if we allowed both people to speak with fewer interruptions” — Mr. Wallace said, “The answer to that question is easy: Desperation.”

Asked directly if Mr. Trump had derailed the debate, Mr. Wallace replied, “Well, he certainly didn’t help.”

Care to elaborate? “No,” Mr. Wallace said. “To quote the president, ‘It is what it is.’”

In the spotlight, Mr. Wallace was keenly aware of the complexity of his task: ensuring an evenhanded debate, avoiding taking sides, allowing candidates to express themselves while keeping the discussion substantive.

“You’re reluctant — as somebody who has said from the very beginning that I wanted to be as invisible as possible, and to enable them to talk — to rise to the point at which you begin to interject more and more,” Mr. Wallace said. “First to say, ‘Please don’t interrupt,’ then ‘Please obey the rules,’ and third, ‘This isn’t serving the country well.’ Those are all tough steps at real time, at that moment, on that stage.”

The Commission on Presidential Debates said on Wednesday that it would examine changes to the format of this year’s remaining encounters between Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump, a clear sign of its frustration with the results of Tuesday evening. The commission also took pains to praise Mr. Wallace for his “professionalism and skill.”

“As a practical matter, even if the president’s microphone had been shut, he still could have continued to interrupt, and it might well have been picked up on Biden’s microphone, and it still would have disrupted the proceedings in the hall,” he said.

“Generally speaking, I did as well as I could, so I don’t have any second thoughts there,” Mr. Wallace said, in conclusion. “I’m just disappointed with the results. For me, but much more importantly, I’m disappointed for the country, because it could have been a much more useful evening than it turned out to be.”

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, admo said:

And while Trump is getting up there too (not quite as much as Biden) he has been involved in the grind every day for almost 4 years now.

Ya know, there is more to considering someone for a job than just their years of experience. Have you ever hired someone or conducted a background check? 

Let's see, this applicant has four years' experience at being President! He's already been "involved in the grind," that's a good thing! So let's do some reference checks and look at his performance: hmmm...repeated violations of the harassment and discrimination policy, extensive history of lying to and insulting his colleagues and bosses, hires unqualified people to work under him, abuses his vacation benefits, doesn't pay his vendors, constantly on social media while on the clock... Man, whoever hired this guy in the first place reeeally f#@ked up.

Is there any other job in the world that an employee like this wouldn't have been fired from?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

“As a practical matter, even if the president’s microphone had been shut, he still could have continued to interrupt, and it might well have been picked up on Biden’s microphone, and it still would have disrupted the proceedings in the hall,” he said.

I've thought about this too.  Just shutting off his mic isn't going to shut him up.

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, admo said:

I am sorry, but the commander in chief of the United States is the most powerful position of the world.  It should not be thought as a position for just a figurehead (With no offense to some US presidents of the very past) or a slogan to get behind (change, hope, maga, vote blue no matter who). 

And I will stand behind who I voted for. 

Bush over Gore (the man who thought he invented the internet lol)
Kerry over Bush
Obama over McCain
Romney over Barack Obama
Trump over Hilary Clinton

Biden is only a party rep token IMHO.  And I have no problem with anyone voting for a particular party.  Because I prefer a certain party too.  But Biden is not cut out for this powerful job full time, for 4 years.  And not only will he be 82 and not relateable to people under 50, 40, 30, 20, etc., but he will be the most powerful man in the world.  And while Trump is getting up there too (not quite as much as Biden) he has been involved in the grind every day for almost 4 years now.  

And that's just one thing to think about.  Because our amazing, beautiful, country needs more than just a figurehead with fluffy political coach speak and a mask.  I mean, anybody can look at a camera, point and say "the American people"... over and over.  Even Enhance lol.  But seriously, I think the warning signs have been there about Biden before the DNC, even though the DNP wanted him to be that figurehead representing the party and toting the line. 

It seems like you have some pretty massive blinders on. I could understand the appeal of Trump if it we're 2016 again. I almost seriously considered voting for him, but we know who he is now with out a doubt.

We know that he has massive turnover in his cabinet, we know that he had 3 felons in his original campaign/cabinet, we know that he golfs more than any other president ever has, we know that those golf trips funnel money to his own company, we know he should be in massive debt or he's scamming the IRS, we know he lacks any common sense or respect for science, we know he will believe a despot over our own allies and intelligence groups, we know he has twice been concivted of racist actions in his companies, we know that he said he would disavow racists but when given the lofted softball he couldn't actually do it multiple times, we know that he quite literally campaigned on a Muslim ban (changing the name because it would have been illegal), we know that he ran on repealing and replacing Obamacare and after 4 yeas he still hasn't done it or even submitted a proposal even with control of the Senate, we know that his adminstration fought hard to remove regulations on COVID relief so that we couldn't see where the money went, we know that he knew COVID was dangerous in February but he lied to the American public and did almost nothing, we know that he inherited this economy and until COVID it was continuing a trend established under the previous administration but he can't acknowledge that, we know that in a time of prosperity he ballooned the national spending without making cuts or increasing revenue, we know that his tax plan was a lie and it didn't bring in any extra revenue, we know that that plan mostly benefited the rich and corporation who did not trickle that money down, we know that he increased the defense budget when the generals never asked for it, we know that he increased troop levels in Afghanistan above where they were when Obama left, and we know that he lies about any and everything.

And it can be reasonably assumed he had a mini stroke while in office.

Why would you vote for any of this?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Ya know, there is more to considering someone for a job than just their years of experience. Have you ever hired someone or conducted a background check? 

Let's see, this applicant has four years' experience at being President! He's already been "involved in the grind," that's a good thing! So let's do some reference checks and look at his performance: hmmm...repeated violations of the harassment and discrimination policy, extensive history of lying to and insulting his colleagues and bosses, hires unqualified people to work under him, abuses his vacation benefits, doesn't pay his vendors, constantly on social media while on the clock... Man, whoever hired this guy in the first place reeeally f#@ked up.

Is there any other job in the world that an employee like this wouldn't have been fired from?

Not to mention perhaps dozens of violations of the Hatch Act by admin officials and Trump himself.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've thought about this too.  Just shutting off his mic isn't going to shut him up.

I think the bolded is true, but I also think one of the primary reasons Trump behaved the way he did during the debate was because the audience would hear him. I wonder if he will be as as persistent with this behavior if it's just Biden? My gut is leaning no.

Also, it depends on what kind of mics they're using - directional vs. omnidirectional. They'd be wise to use directional in this situation and, if they do, I think the candidates will be far enough away to eliminate any real chance of coherently picking up the other.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, admo said:

Serious question.

I read this and wonder how in the hell can someone say this and then support someone who has shown to be such a pathetic person and failure over the last 4 years actually doing the job.

How is that possible?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1