Nebraska OL: The Lost Art Is Returning Soon

BIG ERN

1 hour ago, DayByDayHusker said:

Remember how the Pelini and Riley staffs had such a hard time recruiting elite high school OT's? It doesn't seem to be a problem for this staff with Benhart, Corcoran and Teddy. If we are looking for signs that things are about to finally change this is one huge indicator, IMO.

Benhart: 65th Best Prospect in 2019 according to 247 (couldn't find his Rivals rank)

Corcoran: 64th Best Prospect in 2020 (Rivals Top 100 player)

Teddy: 64th Best Prospect in 2021 (Rivals Top 100 player)

We had Tyler Moore for a minute.  He was pretty highly ranked.  Other than that we were pretty average.  Nick Gates was a good OT but he was a transfer.  

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Cav literally said he didn't care about anyone past the starting five.  So it's not exactly surprising that development was terrible for a few years.

This can't be overstated enough.  This staff understands developing depth.  We had way too long of a program that practiced the starters and everyone else was supposed to stand around and watch.  That doesn't work.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

We had Tyler Moore for a minute.  He was pretty highly ranked.  Other than that we were pretty average.  Nick Gates was a good OT but he was a transfer.  

1 minute ago, skers83 said:

I'm pretty sure Gates came here out of high school. Bishpo Gorman in Vegas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

You're right, we signed Gates out of high school. Was a pretty big get at the time, but 243rd in the country according to 247. So a bit lower than these guys, and I know a lot were critical of his effort but he probably was our best lineman since Spencer Long.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Nick Gates was a good OT but he was a transfer.  

Nick Gates is a prime example of what I was saying before.  He played tackle for us.  Now he's the starting center for the Giants. He's one of the exceptions though in that he played well for us in that position.

Now, imagine if we could have had good enough tackles so he could have been playing inside where he ultimately ended up.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You're right, we signed Gates out of high school. Was a pretty big get at the time, but 243rd in the country according to 247. So a bit lower than these guys, and I know a lot were critical of his effort but he probably was our best lineman since Spencer Long.

And wasn't it Gates who at one point actually said to reporters that "lifting weights was basically optional" under Riley? Does anybody else remember that quote?

I think that shows you:

1. Getting super physically talented linemen is way more important than the specifics of your weight training program.

2. If you do get those physically talented linemen (like several that we've gotten) and you combine it with a great strength program, you're going to have a good offensive line.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Alex Lewis

This Alex Lewis? 

""I'm done playing for the state of the Nebraska!" the Facebook post begins. "You want to blame me for the loss, that's fine! But I have done every thing right to prove I belong and yet you im not a husker! So you want to see what Alex Lewis is about? Then sit back and criticize because I'm going to prove to myself and my family and my family that i am better than these fair weather fans that themselve (sic) huskers! You have let loose a storm that the huskers havent seen seen since 95 and you will kiss my feet when im done with you! So screw everyone who ever doubts me. Aka the whole state of Nebraska, who said i was not nebraska worthy since my arrest!"

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  It always seemed like we had to move our best guards to tackles and struggle to then have good guards.  The tackles weren't playing well because they were out of position which they could have succeeded if they were inside.

FYI...Benhart was 139th nationally on Rivals, which I think still is pretty darn good.  Not sure why he is around the same ranking as the other two on 247 but farther down on Rivals.

For sure, it's nice to be talking about moving down a highly rated OT to G so we can get more athletes on the OLine, not the other way around. I also love the Cam Jurgens move, we had to watch some tough growing pains last year but FINALLY we will have an anchor at the C position.

Nice find on Benhart, for some reason my quick google search didn't pull that up.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Gates was damn good but he was too "few and far between" in that era IMO. Frost and Co. seem to be pulling in a stud OT every class (along with some other really good prospects).

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not trying to take anything away from the current coaches but it does help that two of those guys were within driving distance of Lincoln - and not in Iowa's backyard - which has rarely been the case.

GREAT point. They have benefited from these guys being in the small radius around Lincoln. Same can be said for Hutmacher.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

And wasn't it Gates who at one point actually said to reporters that "lifting weights was basically optional" under Riley? Does anybody else remember that quote?

What? Are you gonna look at this picture of Gates in 2015 and tell me that lifting was optional? Inconceivable!

561195e8edc9e.image.jpg

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 3