Nebraska OL: The Lost Art Is Returning Soon

BIG ERN

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This has been a problem for years.  DONU has no sports info director SID so the media and fans are starved for good info to gather and discuss.  

There is a great opportunity to build the brand, recruit, publicize and so on and basically nothing. 

It goes way back to later Solich years when information started to be kept out (if it ain’t good dont say anything).  Times have changed I guess but fans used to know a lot about players as students and personally (majors, backgrounds, etc) and the practices were open, video and reporting, interviews etc etc. 

Now we get snippets.  

Coaches were involved in community activities, events, etc. 

Info blackout in some ways.  

The Sports Information Director has changed names and is now called Communications Director.  NU has 3 of them with Keith Mann dedicated solely to football, with the other sports split between Shamus McKnight and Jeff Griesch.  I think these Communication Directors have done a great job of building NU’s brand.

As far as knowing about players “personally” I think there is still plenty of outlets to get to know the players through the roster on Huskers.com, Twitter, Facebook and other social media outlets.  Just because they aren’t the media sources you are accustomed to seeing, doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

With the open practices which Osborne had, that was when there were 3-5 media guys covering the football team, even up to the mid-90s. Osborne would easily know if something from practice was being leaked by the media. Now there are 30+ media members covering practices/news conferences every day. That’s why the practices need to be closed to media. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, runningblind said:

I get your arguments, but until we get an actual game to discuss I get the other side too. It'll have been 11 months and we didn't even get a spring game.  There is nothing but speculation off of some media interviews and some 2 minute twitter videos to talk about so we fill the time with whatever pops up.

I have no problem discussing any topic - but if your reason is a lack of games for 11 months then why be an advict of something from multiple years.