2020 Football Eligibility Rules

Because of Covid, the NCAA has changed Eligibility Rules - basically giving players one extra year of eligibility going forward. 

I haven't studied it much but my gut tells me that this may help NU's young roster more than a stacked, older Bama, OSU, Clemson roster.    Do you agree ?

Basically this year becomes a 'practice' year for our young team - a time to grow and mature and hopefully setting us up for beating OU the next 2 years (wouldn't that be nice) and

maybe even winning the conference in 2 years - which would be 'nicer'.

So, the questions I have - if a player is taking a red shirt this year, could he end up with up with 6 years in the program?  What about Adrien - he didn't red shirt and has been

the starter for 2 years and presumably this year.  My assumption is he could conceivably start for 5 years if his play improves over last year. 

With 5 years eligibility for the existing players,  what occurs with new recruits - will they be back on the 2019 eligibility schedule?  How will it affect who recruit? 

We could potentially have 105 on scholarship - will this eventually be reduced back to the 85 scholarship level?

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/20/ncaa-extra-year-eligibility-difficulties-inflated-rosters

• Plus1 2

As I understand it, no one uses a year of eligibility this year.  So everyone will have the same eligibility in 2021 that they were supposed to have this year, regardless of whether they played or not.

So, yes, I think the standing right now is players can be here for six years and - presumably - play for five.  Might make for some interesting career records.

I don't know how the recruiting numbers will work.  Players coming back for extra years can still be on scholarship.  But as I understand it right now, the 85 limit will still be in place.  In baseball they seniors coming back for the extra year just didn't count against the scholarship limits.  But I haven't seen anything like that for football.  I would guess they are still working on the details of how to administer it.

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

As I understand it, no one uses a year of eligibility this year.  So everyone will have the same eligibility in 2021 that they were supposed to have this year, regardless of whether they played or not.

So, yes, I think the standing right now is players can be here for six years and - presumably - play for five.  Might make for some interesting career records.

I don't know how the recruiting numbers will work.  Players coming back for extra years can still be on scholarship.  But as I understand it right now, the 85 limit will still be in place.  In baseball they seniors coming back for the extra year just didn't count against the scholarship limits.  But I haven't seen anything like that for football.  I would guess they are still working on the details of how to administer it.

So Mav, do you think it helps a younger team like ours vs a Bama or OSU for example?  To me it seems that it would - I hope so.

Seems like the talent at Bama/OSU would just move on to the NFL and teams like ours, not stacked yet wt NFL talent, will benefit the most by the extended eligibility.  

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So Mav, do you think it helps a younger team like ours vs a Bama or OSU for example?  To me it seems that it would - I hope so.

Seems like the talent at Bama/OSU would just move on to the NFL and teams like ours, not stacked yet wt NFL talent, will benefit the most by the extended eligibility.  

Yeah, I think you're generally correct.  The top talent isn't going to stick around another year.  And, if it's like baseball, some places won't keep the guys around another year.  Wisconsin didn't let their senior baseball players come back for an extra year.  It will be interesting to see if they change their toon for football.

Getting a lot of our younger guys an extra year should really help down the road.

With how common transferring is now i could also see younger players not wanting to sit behind a guy for another year. If one of your main reason for coming to Nebraska was the promise of early playing time and a good but maybe not great upperclassmen decides to come back and the coaches decide to go with experience over a younger guy i could see a player leaving.

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm not Mavric, but I don't think there's much doubt that it helps a team like us where more of the talents is (at least perceived to be) true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores.

The issue may come into play for the 2021 recruiting class though where I'm assuming we may have to take less guys than normal. I'm not sure how it will work having some seniors on the team that you'd probably prefer just graduated to free up scholarships wanting to play another year.

But I also might be missing something with that dynamic.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I still think seniors sticking around isn't going to be as big as some people think.  If a player is a good NFL prospect, chances are they are gone.  If a player is riding the pine with very little chance of seeing the field, chances are they are gone.  

The ones that are have a bigger chance of sticking around for a 5th/6th year are the guys that are iffy for the NFL but getting good playing time.

Numbers wise, that doesn't represent a big number for each class at each school.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I still think seniors sticking around isn't going to be as big as some people think.  If a player is a good NFL prospect, chances are they are gone.

This really is no offense to our guys, but outside of Jaimes who are those players? I ask in earnest.

Having Domann for one more year would probably be nice.

I think that's the problem if they keep the 85 scholarship rule in place. It would be really awesome for us if they'd extend it to, say, 95 or 100 for the 2021 season only.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

This really is no offense to our guys, but outside of Jaimes who are those players? I ask in earnest.

Having Domann for one more year would probably be nice.

I think that's the problem if they keep the 85 scholarship rule in place. It would be really awesome for us if they'd extend it to, say, 95 or 100 for the 2021 season only.

I wasn't talking specifically about us.  I'm talking in general about teams across the country.

I personally don't think we have very many at all that would fall into the NFL lock crowd.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wasn't talking specifically about us.  I'm talking in general about teams across the country.

I personally don't think we have very many at all that would fall into the NFL lock crowd.

Gotcha.

I suppose one should just see the glass as half full from a personal standpoint of these players on our team that have been through a coaching staff firing, three straight losing seasons, and in some of their cases now at least three position coaching changes.

Would love to see them get a shot at a normal year next year where we could compete at a high level.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I think you're generally correct.  The top talent isn't going to stick around another year.  And, if it's like baseball, some places won't keep the guys around another year.  Wisconsin didn't let their senior baseball players come back for an extra year.  It will be interesting to see if they change their toon for football.

Getting a lot of our younger guys an extra year should really help down the road.

Ummmm, Wisconsin doesn’t have a baseball program.  

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think Frost made a short comment on how they would handle this situation next year when it comes down to numbers.  He said something to the effect they would help guys move out of the program.  They aren't planning on keeping 6th year dead weight.

I am sure Frost will be quick to cull the heard and free up the scholarships. 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

layers coming back for extra years can still be on scholarship.  But as I understand it right now, the 85 limit will still be in place.  In baseball they seniors coming back for the extra year just didn't count against the scholarship limits.  But I haven't seen anything like that for football.  I would guess they are still working on the details of how to administer it.

I'm very interested to see how the NCAA handles seniors not counting towards the 85. There will be a lot of graduate transfers in the portal next year because of the extra year of eligibility. If seniors don't count toward the 85, hopefully that only applies to their original school, otherwise, you could have a team completely load up on graduate transfers for next year.   

• Plus1 1