2020 Football Eligibility Rules

If you dont increase the scholarship # by a typical 22/23 from 85 to 107/108, then you are effectively penalizing the next class (2021s) by denying them scholarships.  I suppose you can automatically reduce the individual school’s total limit # when any existing scholarship athlete leaves for any reason.  But it would terribly unfair to not raise the 85 limit to allow for existing plus new class to join.  Attrition over time until the 5th year when 85 cap returns.   

I think it should go to 107 until

2026 when the 2020s expire after 5 years on scholarship.  

I think it would be ok to just increase the number to 130 scholarships and allow every team to have that many at any time, regardless of age or class status.  Maybe cap annual limit at 40 or so.   Why have a limit ?

I guess to spread talent around but with unlimited transfers now, kids can leave almost at will so hoarding is tough really.  

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

But it would terribly unfair to not raise the 85 limit to allow for existing plus new class to join.

The counter argument also though is that if a ton of games get cancelled this season (and 3-4 already have been officially, depending on how you look at it) it's also unfair to the seniors who back in February were looking forward to finishing strong in their last year.

They'll get another shot next year as well probably, and that only seems fair.

But you're right that it would suck if a bunch of talented high school seniors couldn't join the teams they thought they were going to sign with if the 85 cap doesn't get re-examined for 2021.

Keep it simple.  Anyone that has a scholarship during this time can stay on scholarship without impacting the total amount of scholarships.  Assuming things are normal after this season, any kid currently on the team gets one extra year.  

You can't treat Covid differently and then not treat the scholarship limit differently. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If you dont increase the scholarship # by a typical 22/23 from 85 to 107/108, then you are effectively penalizing the next class (2021s) by denying them scholarships.  I suppose you can automatically reduce the individual school’s total limit # when any existing scholarship athlete leaves for any reason.  But it would terribly unfair to not raise the 85 limit to allow for existing plus new class to join.  Attrition over time until the 5th year when 85 cap returns.   

I think it should go to 107 until

2026 when the 2020s expire after 5 years on scholarship.  

I think it would be ok to just increase the number to 130 scholarships and allow every team to have that many at any time, regardless of age or class status.  Maybe cap annual limit at 40 or so.   Why have a limit ?

I guess to spread talent around but with unlimited transfers now, kids can leave almost at will so hoarding is tough really.  

Hey how about limiting those schools that have dominated college recently!!   We can start a "share the wealth program" - send more 5 stars recruits to Nebraska.  (Bama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, LSU, OU, PSU - limit their scholarships)  Maybe this is a liberal policy conservatives could get excited about!! :P

• Plus1 1