physics of hitting a fastball

commando

1 hour ago, commando said:

no wonder i was terrible at baseball

"I think without question the hardest single thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball."

"The hardest thing to do in baseball is to hit a round baseball with a round bat, squarely" - Ted Williams

Apparently those are two separate quotes.  I remember hearing them in a combined form as "the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a round ball with a round bat and hit it squarely".  

And he's probably right.

I had 20/15 vision and I still pretty much sucked at hitting after I progressed to where guys were bringing some heat. It didn’t seem as difficult as that video makes it out to be but we weren’t facing 90 mph fastballs either. I suppose you have relatively a lot more time to process it if it’s only 70-80 mph. But I struggled more with curve balls.

On 10/7/2020 at 7:14 PM, JJ Husker said:

I had 20/15 vision and I still pretty much sucked at hitting after I progressed to where guys were bringing some heat. It didn’t seem as difficult as that video makes it out to be but we weren’t facing 90 mph fastballs either. I suppose you have relatively a lot more time to process it if it’s only 70-80 mph. But I struggled more with curve balls.

I am no baseball fan at all but this video was intriguing.  Are there rules against wearing glasses?  Why not take 20-20 vision and give a hitter lens to enhance it by a bunch - assuming such ‘correction’ is scientifically possible?   Just curious.  No doubt it has been tried!  lol