Florida State struggles

Rochelobe

Reading this article seemed like a more compressed version of the struggles that Nebraska has had from ~2002 to present.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/10/08/florida-state-football-searches-identity-notre-dame-game-looms/3634225001/

To understand what single factor drove FSU off track is to miss the larger picture — no one single thing caused the Seminoles' derailment but rather several factors occurring almost simultaneously. If handled appropriately, any one issue might have been survivable. Together, they combined to crumble a potential dynasty and turn FSU into something else altogether: a program in search of an identity.

Foremost is coaching turnover and the resulting impact on recruiting, roster management and player development. 

No position groups illustrate these failures more than the offensive line and quarterback. Recruiting misses and attrition have turned the offensive front into an annual punchline. The Seminoles have used eight quarterbacks since Winston's departure and failed to sign one non-transfer quarterback during Taggart's two seasons, the latter part of a broader concern: Nearly half of the 2018 class is no longer with the program.

This stuff seems similar to what Nebraska has gone through, only just more compressed.  1/2 of the 2018 recruiting class gone by the 2020 season.

Hopefully Nebraska has started to establish some stability - I have a hard time picking a final record for this year with all the unknowns - I can see reasonable arguments all the way from 0-8 up to 6-2, but I'll split the difference and say 3-5.  I think as long as they stay competitive they will position themselves well for 2021.  I just hope that all the fans that clamored for a season this year will be patient if it goes 3-5 or worse. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...