The Crowded Eligibility Problem Due To Covid-19

BIG ERN

We all know of the "free year" that 2020 brings in regards to eligibility concerns of football athletes. Off the top that sounds great, but once you start looking ahead to future seasons and depth charts some problems may arise. And technically it might not be a problem - it could be a gift depending on the team/athlete. This is most particular for rsFR and true freshmen, but applies to everyone. Some examples from the Husker football team:

• Adrian Martinez - Has already started two seasons as a freshman and sophomore. Will get the chance to have 5 full seasons as a starting QB (Nebraska records may be smashed). His SR season would be 2022 without having a redshirt season. 
  • Luke McCaffery - He used his 4 game redshirt last year. Will be a rsFR this year and AGAIN in 2021. Yes, Cool Hand Luke will still be a freshmen in 2021. 
  • RB Room: Rahmir Johnson, Ronald Thompkins, Sevion Morrison, Marvin Scott III will all still be freshmen next season even if they play all games in 2020. And the latter 2 could still be rsFR in 2022! if they redshirt next year. 

With going over some of those examples -- also keep in mind that teams are taking in a full recruiting class. So that talented young RB group will also welcome in Gabe Ervin (if he signs) who is currently committed. I created a depth chart for 2022 & 2023 and it is crazy looking at a lot of the same names who will be big contributors for us this season. Now, does this help a team like Nebraska trying to be on the come up? Or does it benefit more to Clemson, Bama, Ohio St, Georgia etc. Stock piling kids....but the percentages show the transfer portal will be hotter than ever over the next 4 seasons. 

To add, Smothers won't be a freshman until 2022.  I agree, the transfer portal will be on fire.  I do think Nebraska benefits but I can see the greatest benefit going to slightly lower level teams.  All the transfers will struggle to find quality spots imo.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

To add, Smothers won't be a freshman until 2022.  I agree, the transfer portal will be on fire.  I do think Nebraska benefits but I can see the greatest benefit going to slightly lower level teams.  All the transfers will struggle to find quality spots imo.  

I’m not going to be surprised if there are lots of transfers, but once again, I don’t understand it because every team is going to be in the same boat. 

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not going to be surprised if there are lots of transfers, but once again, I don’t understand it because every team is going to be in the same boat. 

Some teams are going to naturally have more attrition than others either to the NFL, guys just hanging it up or them not allowing players back regardless. So, the will probably create opportunity for guys to transfer.

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

true - however kids that are impatient to play will just go down a couple notches so that they can play - similar to the recent departures from NU.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Presumably there's going to be a chain reaction with current high school kids. Average rated players don't get to go to P5 cause everyone is that much more full. These kids push out other kids and eventually people who would have been been D3 athletes don't get scholarships. Kinda sucks for all of them 

Not as many as you might first think as some 5 year guys are going to pass on a 6th, free or not.  Also, unless conference or NCAA and title 9 and budget constraints prevent, there should be an overall increase in collegiate athlete #s too.  But there could be a slight drop in the class of 21 athletes across the country.  

I am more concerned about the loss of walkons (current members that may be dropped off) to make room new schollies.

• Thanks 1