Censorship

Witness a ban on "Hate Speech"

It was an increasingly common maneuver: In a review of more than 40 recent hate-law arrests, Reuters found that in each case, authorities intervened against Venezuelans who had criticized Maduro, other ruling party officials or their allies.

In addition to laws used widely to allege “conspiracy” and “disorder” by government opponents, the hate legislation is proving to be an effective weapon against critics, not least because of harsh penalties for those convicted. It provides for prison terms of up to 20 years, longer than the 18-year sentence for some murder convictions. 

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/venezuela-politics-hatelaw/

The justifications offered by Silicon Valley censors are the same ones used by 2nd world tinhead dictators.  Because they living the same lie.  Always trying to silence criticism, always pretending they have a selfless motive. 

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Witness a ban on "Hate Speech"

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/venezuela-politics-hatelaw/

The justifications offered by Silicon Valley censors are the same ones used by 2nd world tinhead dictators.  Because they living the same lie.  Always trying to silence criticism, always pretending they have a selfless motive. 

I agree that we should oppose "hate speech" type censorship laws.

But you understand that the government has powers that no corporation has, right? It's not at all the same unless you're arguing that Silicon Valley censors have the power to arrest, detain, and incarcerate. Tech company censorship and government censorship are wildly different things.

8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I agree that we should oppose "hate speech" type censorship laws.

But you understand that the government has powers that no corporation has, right? It's not at all the same unless you're arguing that Silicon Valley censors have the power to arrest, detain, and incarcerate. Tech company censorship and government censorship are wildly different things.

Big Tech is the government of the internet, unless and until the Washington DC government steps in. 

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

11 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It's hard to see people cheering on censorship like this and not wonder if you are real Americans. 

It's capitalism. I guess you don't like that? Book publishers have the right to decide what books they publish.

You are against American values. This is just one of dozens of examples I've seen. You are anti-American.

• Plus1 5

39 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's capitalism. I guess you don't like that? Book publishers have the right to decide what books they publish.

You are against American values. This is just one of dozens of examples I've seen. You are anti-American.

For the 500th time.  Book publishers are not an cartel with market power.  Book publishers do not let you create an account and publish books for free.  Tech Companies have a special law that says they are not publishers because they are just content neutral technology companies.  

If you make the analogy correctly, Big Tech are the modern Guttenbergs who designed and built the printing presses.  They wouldn't be responsible for the words printed, until they exercise control whose words are allowed to be published. Then they become the new Inquisitors.

7 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

For the 500th time.  Book publishers are not an cartel with market power.  Book publishers do not let you create an account and publish books for free.  Tech Companies have a special law that says they are not publishers because they are just content neutral technology companies.  

If you make the analogy correctly, Big Tech are the modern Guttenbergs who designed and built the printing presses.  They wouldn't be responsible for the words printed, until they exercise control whose words are allowed to be published. Then they become the new Inquisitors.

The irony of making this claim while posting on the internet is not lost on the rest of us.

• Plus1 1