Censorship

As big tech has squeezed out Parler, it will be interesting to see where that crowd goes next and how tech and govt respond.  After the election,

I remember hearing Joe Peggs on the radio saying how he is encouraging everyone to go to Parler - free speech, yada yada.  He boasted how his

following was growing.  Conservative talk radio prides itself wt 'independent thought.'  I've heard every host over the years say "We don't listen

to other talk shows so that we can present original thought --- funny how they all started to sound the same - I wonder how that happens if they never listen to another talk show  :dunno  (Perhaps they all listen to Rush and get their talking points there).  Yet Parler was not full of independent thought - it was a cesspool of the worst group think

and irrationality that can be found on the internet outside of Q'anon.   How do cults form.  Group think reinforced by a narcissistic president.

https://apnews.com/article/google-apple-amazon-parler-app-367b6dff19026c3811651aa01bde58f2

Many of our own citizens and lawmakers don't seem to understand how the 1st Amendment works, either.

However, I have felt for a very long time that the likes of Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc., wield some significant power. They have become primary information distributors, but because they're private companies, we are largely asked to rely on their ability to be trustworthy in what they present to us and how they present it to us. I think it's an interesting challenge, headlined by some of the massive lawsuits facing Google right now. I'm fascinated to see when and how it all shakes out, but I don't think that antitrust lawsuit with Google would even go to trial until something like 2023.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Many of our own citizens and lawmakers don't seem to understand how the 1st Amendment works, either.

However, I have felt for a very long time that the likes of Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc., wield some significant power. They have become primary information distributors, but because they're private companies, we are largely asked to rely on their ability to be trustworthy in what they present to us and how they present it to us. I think it's an interesting challenge, headlined by some of the massive lawsuits facing Google right now. I'm fascinated to see when and how it all shakes out, but I don't think that antitrust lawsuit with Google would even go to trial until something like 2023.

Agree with your sentiments.  

I also will add that Google is acting all high and mighty while at the same time defending against their intellectual property theft of Java.  Without that theft, Google wouldn’t be what it is currently.  
Apple is acting all high and mighty when they use basically Chinese slave labor to build their products. 
It would be nice to see those companies fix their own lack of morals while they save the rest of society from speech they deem unacceptable. 

• Plus1 4
40 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I did have the thought today after reading about the 70k QAnon Twitter accounts being shut down - it’s too late. I feel once you think to do something like that it’s already so big I don’t know if you accomplish anything by doing it and you may be doing more harm than good.

That said I think I’m ok with some of this stuff happening temporarily thru Jan. 21 when the military is out of Trump’s hands. 

• Plus1 1

can anyone show me any republican accounts that were shut down except for those that have spread the "steal the vote" lies and called for people to take part in the big rally that turned to insurrection?   i think it was fairly well aimed at the people who extolled the event that turned traitorous.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

I mean...with Ask Jeeves, AOL, Yahoo, Netscape and Netzero, google is far from a monopoly!

Also, why hasn't the government gone after the board game Monopoly?  

• Haha 1