Censorship

On 2/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, DevoHusker said:

Maybe Facebook should go back to the original intent of the platform...keep in touch with others in a social setting. Not for politics and news.

Get that elsewhere. 

That would be in the “Better America of our dreams” thread. 

I might actually enjoy Facebook then.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

12 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I wouldn't worry too much.  It is hard if not impossible to find [much] 21st Century suppression of left wing speech because the Left controls the morality in Western countries and decides what is and isn't true or hateful.  Not so in other countries.

I will now pause to field some cherry-picked obscure incidents of left wing censorship.  

Let's see. One side is filled with groups like KKK, Proud Boys and other domestic terrorists spreading hate and disinformation recruiting people to attack our government.

Gee....wonder who is going to be censored.

12 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I wouldn't worry too much.  It is hard if not impossible to find [much] 21st Century suppression of left wing speech because the Left controls the morality in Western countries and decides what is and isn't true or hateful.  Not so in other countries.

I will now pause to field some cherry-picked obscure incidents of left wing censorship.  

Claim something is true and follow that up by rejecting in advance any evidence to the contrary. Sounds legit.

This may not necessarily be 'censorship.' Perhaps we should have a separate discussion thread for cancel or 'woke' culture discussions, but either way, found this situation interesting.

6 Dr. Seuss books won’t be published for racist images

In “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street,” an Asian person is portrayed wearing a conical hat, holding chopsticks, and eating from a bowl.

“If I Ran the Zoo” includes a drawing of two bare-footed African men wearing what appear to be grass skirts with their hair tied above their heads.

Here's my take on this kind of stuff, generally speaking. If they feel it is wrong to profit off of those kind of things and don't want to publish any more copies, that's their prerogative. Ultimately, I understand and can respect the argument in favor of this.

But I don't necessarily like them being pulled from schools or, in some cases, the attempts to prevent exposure. I think that can sometimes do more harm than good. Perhaps we should be having conversations about how to teach and instruct off of these materials, showing why things they did might be wrong by today's standards ethical standards. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This may not necessarily be 'censorship.' Perhaps we should have a separate discussion thread for cancel or 'woke' culture discussions, but either way, found this situation interesting.

Here's my take on this kind of stuff, generally speaking. If they feel it is wrong to profit off of those kind of things and don't want to publish any more copies, that's their prerogative. Ultimately, I understand and can respect the argument in favor of this.

But I don't necessarily like them being pulled from schools or, in some cases, the attempts to prevent exposure. I think that can sometimes do more harm than good. Perhaps we should be having conversations about how to teach and instruct off of these materials, showing why things they did might be wrong by today's standards ethical standards. 

From what I am reading, it sounds like the issue stems from the artwork in the books more so than the words.  I wonder why they couldn’t rework the art and keep publishing?  

Seems like this is an overkill, but they control the rights so it’s up to them I guess.  My personal opinion is I think it’s being overly sensitive.  

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I agree with this. This is an interesting situation, but the author's estate choosing to no longer publish these books (which is a responsible step if they feel that they can cause harm) is very different than a school or government deciding to ban the book. I support the former, but am vehemently opposed to the latter. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Enhance said:

OK...I just don't get it.  I guess I'm not "woke" enough.

You depict a Chinese person in a cone shaped hat and holding chop sticks.  Meanwhile, chop sticks are a Chinese utensil and I can find thousands of pictures of native Chinese people in cone shapes straw hats.

Gee...google "Chinese Farmer" and look what pictures come up.

61437951-guilin-china-october-18-2013-po

So...can someone PLEASE explain to me why depicting a Chinese person in a cone shaped hat and holding chop sticks is racist?

What is wrong with displaying diversity from around the world?

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Enhance said:

I just treat this thread as the universal suppression of speech containment zone whether it's called censorship, cancel culture, fake news, big tech, intolerance etc.

This has been happening for a long time.  Laura Inghalls Wilder was dishonored because of one sentence misworded.

A division of the American Library Association voted unanimously Saturday to strip Laura Ingalls Wilder's name from a major children's literature award over concerns about how the author referred to Native Americans and blacks.

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What is wrong with displaying diversity from around the world?

IMO, I don't think the 'woke' folk have a problem with displaying diversity. What they have a problem with is media or content that they believe is based on unfair stereotypes. Some people would argue depicting a Chinese person with a cone hat and chopsticks is a simple-minded way of generalizing an entire group of people based on specific elements of their culture.

A rough analogy would be illustrating an American by drawing them with obesity and a rifle. Certainly representative of elements of our society, but not representative of the whole.

My big issue with things like this isn't necessarily the actual material, though. Is the image offensive and stereotypical? Sure. I could see why someone would think that. My problem is that there's often a huge ego and morality issue happening with the woke culture. It's not always about activism and creating change; it's about being right and never being compromised. It's about extricating things from society that you don't agree with, regardless of what other people think, because they're not as 'woke' as you.

President Obama hits the nail on the head with his perception of woke culture in this clip. I linked the clip at the good part but the whole 2 minute video is worth a listen:

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO, I don't think the 'woke' folk have a problem with displaying diversity. What they have a problem with is media or content that they believe is based on unfair stereotypes. Some people would argue depicting a Chinese person with a cone hat and chopsticks is a simple-minded way of generalizing an entire group of people based on specific elements of their culture.

A rough analogy would be illustrating an American by drawing them with obesity and a rifle. Certainly representative of elements of our society, but not representative of the whole.

My big issue with things like this isn't necessarily the actual material, though. Is the image offensive and stereotypical? Sure. I could see why someone would think that. My problem is that there's often a huge ego and morality issue happening with the woke culture. It's not always about activism and creating change; it's about being right and never being compromised. It's about extricating things from society that you don't agree with, regardless of what other people think, because they're not as 'woke' as you.

President Obama hits the nail on the head with his perception of woke culture in this clip. I linked the clip at the good part but the whole 2 minute video is worth a listen:

Meh...not buying it.  And, your analogy is off base.  That would be depicting Americans in a negative light.  A good analogy would be depicting Americans in a cow boy hat and boots.  And, I would bet that the vast majority of Chinese actually do use or have used chop sticks.

This is nothing more than being over sensitive with something that really doesn't mean much.  

What I'm guessing is that some Chinese Americans are the ones upset about it.  Meanwhile, the book isn't trying to depict Chinese Americans.  They are depicting Chinese people in China.

• Plus1 1