Censorship

7 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Uhm, yeah- The govt. is involved. 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/12/09/1013641/facebook-should-be-broken-up-says-us-government/

An exact reason why a platform like FB or Twitter should not be controlled by a single individual. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/10/25/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-whistleblower/

What about a national paper of record? Or any national print media? 

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Uhm, yeah- The govt. is involved. 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/12/09/1013641/facebook-should-be-broken-up-says-us-government/

An exact reason why a platform like FB or Twitter should not be controlled by a single individual. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/10/25/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-whistleblower/

Oh good, the government is involved :wacko:

I do recall the Congressional hearing now. Thanks.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Apathy said:

I think we should be pretty clear about a few things regarding this Elon Musk / Twitter situation.

First, being a publicly traded company comes with significantly more oversight and regulations to follow i.e. more public accountability. That doesn't mean all publicly traded companies are better than privately traded companies, or vice versa. However, if people are genuinely concerned about Twitter's content moderation strategy and accountability, privatization does nothing to alleviate those concerns. Instead you transfer the onus of responsibility and accountability onto fewer individuals with less legal accountability obligations. It's befuddling that people are confident this is somehow a good thing for Free Speech as it is highly, highly debatable.

Second, he has stated that his position is if something posted online is "in a gray area, it should probably be left." He is not saying "F it and say whatever the F you want." That's what morons like this Mike The Mad Scientist seem to think this all means. Somebody is still going to have to define that gray area is and moderate that gray area because we all know that you can't literally be allowed to say whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. That is not and has not never been what Free Speech is.

I don't have a dog in the race as I'm not a huge Twitter user most days, but people have developed some whacky narratives with all this.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think we should be pretty clear about a few things regarding this Elon Musk / Twitter situation.

First, being a publicly traded company comes with significantly more oversight and regulations to follow i.e. more public accountability. That doesn't mean all publicly traded companies are better than privately traded companies, or vice versa. However, if people are genuinely concerned about Twitter's content moderation strategy and accountability, privatization does nothing to alleviate those concerns. Instead you transfer the onus of responsibility and accountability onto fewer individuals with less legal accountability obligations. It's befuddling that people are confident this is somehow a good thing for Free Speech as it is highly, highly debatable.

Second, he has stated that his position is if something posted online is "in a gray area, it should probably be left." He is not saying "F it and say whatever the F you want." That's what morons like this Mike The Mad Scientist seem to think this all means. Somebody is still going to have to define that gray area is and moderate that gray area because we all know that you can't literally be allowed to say whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. That is not and has not never been what Free Speech is.

I don't have a dog in the race as I'm not a huge Twitter user most days, but people have developed some whacky narratives with all this.

I don’t think anyone believes that Elon has this mentality of “f it just say whatever you want” or is rooting for that to happen. Believe me no one is rooting for that.

There’s only one acceptable position on twitter, only one allowed opinion and anything that goes against the narrative, people are suspended or banned. This has to do with more about censorship’s than about free speech 

I think if you watched the video I linked above, it should answer a lot of your questions. 

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What????

No.  

Ya it’s not like twitter accounts have been banned/suspended on Covid related issues because there’s only a one sided liable opinion and any opinion that went against it were then labeled as “disinformation” 

Twitter blocking a New York Post tweet about the Hunter Biden laptop a few months before the election which then turned out to be true 18 months later. 

Its not like a satire account was banned for over a Man of the Year tweet

Or an account that would post memes showing the hypocrisy of tweets which was mainly directed at one party (democrates) and said account was banned without notice and warning. They did retrieve their account a few days later.  

To name a few

You’re right, I must be mistaken though

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Apathy said:

I don’t think anyone believes that Elon has this mentality of “f it just say whatever you want” or is rooting for that to happen. Believe me no one is rooting for that.

There’s only one acceptable position on twitter, only one allowed opinion and anything that goes against the narrative, people are suspended or banned. This has to do with more about censorship’s than about free speech 

I think if you watched the video I linked above, it should answer a lot of your questions. 

I hear about lots of well known conservatives being banned for various reasons. Perhaps it happens to liberals too and they just don’t complain about it. If you say something non supportive of multiple genders you get banned. If your a newspaper reporting a story about Hunters laptop you get banned. If you say COVID came from a lab you get flagged or it got taken down. If you express a negative opinion or funny memes  on various COVID mandates you get flagged. If you compare our political climate to Nazi Germany you get banned. (For the record comparing stuff to the Nazis or someone to Hitler gets old. It’s a pretty low bar and it’s overused). Wasn’t Let's Go Brandon getting scrubbed too?  Anyway, if someone can throw out some examples about people getting banned for hateful speech to Christians, conservatives….pick anything on the right I don’t care…. that would be helpful in seeing that the moderators apply rules evenly. As of right now I don’t think they do, but it’s possible that I am hearing only conservatives whine about it.

I think Musk said anything within the law should be allowed. No liable for example.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Apathy said:

Ya it’s not like twitter accounts have been banned/suspended on Covid related issues because there’s only a one sided liable opinion and any opinion that went against it were then labeled as “disinformation” 

Twitter blocking a New York Post tweet about the Hunter Biden laptop a few months before the election which then turned out to be true 18 months later. 

Or an account that would post memes showing the hypocrisy of tweets which was mainly directed at one party (democrates) and said account was banned without notice and warning. They did retrieve their account a few days later.  

To name a few

You’re right, I must be mistaken though

However....From what has been inserted into PR posts here for 5+ years, of malicious statements to damage a person's reputation and credibility by the Lincoln Project, it is somehow considered ok and free speech.  <_<

Maybe someone is considering the opportunity to level the Twitter playing field, with this social Media Platform, and it scares people? :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Apathy said:

There’s only one acceptable position on twitter, only one allowed opinion and anything that goes against the narrative, people are suspended or banned.

This isn't even remotely true. Like, not even in the same universe close. 

2 hours ago, Apathy said:

You're right, it's not. They weren't banned, they were suspended for 12 hours starting after the removal of a tweet that went against their TOS. They're the ones that decided not to capitulate.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2