Censorship

On 4/14/2022 at 9:44 PM, Apathy said:

What’s not to like about Musk? Almost two months ago people cheered when Musk sent Starlink satellites to Ukraine & now people are losing their effing minds because he wants to buy Twitter. 

Its quite funny watching all of the leftist who cheered for censorship lose their effing minds today because someone got tired of all the censor BS 

https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk-spacex-ukraine-starlink-government-funding

"Elon Musk donated Starlink terminals to Ukraine from the good of his heart" or something.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

They're the ones that decided not to capitulate.

This is the message from the left. Capitulate or else…. because they own social media and most of the traditional media and they will use it to come after you. I think a Musk shake up would be great. He has an ECO friendly company, that doesn’t want to be located in crazy California. He was praised for helping keep the internet on in Ukraine and criticized for not helping shut down Russia state media. No one knows what the heck to do with this guy. He’s too rich to be cancelled. It’s fun to watch.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This isn't even remotely true. Like, not even in the same universe close. 

You're right, it's not. They weren't banned, they were suspended for 12 hours starting after the removal of a tweet that went against their TOS. They're the ones that decided not to capitulate.

A satire account posting a comedic tweet like they always do and Twitters safe place TOS suspended their account & banned them after they refused to delete it. I applaud the Babyalon Bee for not bending the knee.

• Plus1 4
52 minutes ago, Apathy said:

A satire account posting a comedic tweet like they always do and Twitters safe place TOS suspended their account & banned them after they refused to delete it. I applaud the Babyalon Bee for not bending the knee.

That's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the Babylon Bee knew and violated the rules - what else would you expect to happen? It's a very clear and evident part of their policy that deadnaming or misgendering someone isn't allowed on their platform.

The Bee can't make up it's mind if its platform is "just jokes" or if they're the last line of defense of culture warriors. Either way, they've tweeted all sorts of s#!t for years and years that would go against your so called imaginary one acceptable opinion with no punishment.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

That's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the Babylon Bee knew and violated the rules - what else would you expect to happen? It's a very clear and evident part of their policy that deadnaming or misgendering someone isn't allowed on their platform.

The Bee can't make up it's mind if its platform is "just jokes" or if they're the last line of defense of culture warriors. Either way, they've tweeted all sorts of s#!t for years and years that would go against your so called imaginary one acceptable opinion with no punishment.

...you should check out "The Other 98%"

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

17 hours ago, Apathy said:

There’s only one acceptable position on twitter, only one allowed opinion and anything that goes against the narrative, people are suspended or banned. This has to do with more about censorship’s than about free speech 

The bolded is hyperbole, yes? Twitter's moderation policies have been more harsh toward Republicans and right-wingers, and Republicans and right-wingers have certainly been the focus of higher profile bans/suspensions because of their content, but there are plenty of Republican voices that have not been the subject of bans/suspensions and are still posting freely.

As far as the video is concerned, it didn't really address anything about the highly debatable nature of whether or not privatization is good for free speech and Twitter itself. The guy just kept going back to the people in charge being worried about 'no longer controlling the narrative.' That suggests to me that he (and others) are more focused on the "gotcha" element of this whole thing rather than the actual business and transparency issues it potentially creates.

That content creator also lost me at "The left thinks that anybody to the Right is anyone Right of Bernie Sanders." That's just silly.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

As far as the video is concerned, it didn't really address anything about the highly debatable nature of whether or not privatization is good for free speech and Twitter itself.

The guy just kept going back to the people in charge being worried about 'no longer controlling the narrative.' That suggests to me that he (and others) are more focused on the "gotcha" element of this whole thing rather than the actual business and transparency issues it potentially creates.

You are right about the bold. That should be the debate and we should include ownership of other media in the debate. I also fully admit I relish the underlined part. When Twitter started banning people including the NY Post around and after the 2020 election, I believe it was Uganda that shut down the internet for their election. Twitter did a tweet complaining about how this infringed on free speech and the free flow of information. They were not wrong, but the irony of their words given their uneven policing of their users made me laugh. Ever since then I figured they would face a time when curtain was pulled away. Also, I would rather have a libertarian control Twitter than someone like Trump. If Musk succeeds, I suspect it won’t be long before  I feel it was not a good idea and we can debate whether privatization of the public square is good for free speech. Twitter actions have left me willing to find out. Until then I am going to sit back and enjoy.

• Plus1 3
On 4/17/2022 at 12:44 AM, Lorewarn said:

Twitter isn't the public square.

Maybe I will go on to CNN and FOX today and count how many articles have embedded tweets. I bet it’s easily over half. I also bet that if I were to follow various reporters they all tweet their stories every day to get them out to the public quicker. Those tweets are then re-tweeted and embedded by other news outlets. 

• Plus1 3

Meanwhile, while people are distracted by Elon Musk saving them from the twitter baddies, actual factual conservatives are actually trying to eliminate libraries, and have been pressuring public and school libraries to ban books they don't like. 

Very 1930s Germany of them.

But by all means let's pretend Elon Musk is going to save us from the meanies at twitter and pay no attention to this...

• Plus1 4

Just now, knapplc said:

Meanwhile, while people are distracted by Elon Musk saving them from the twitter baddies, actual factual conservatives are actually trying to eliminate libraries, and have been pressuring public and school libraries to ban books they don't like. 

Very 1930s Germany of them.

But by all means let's pretend Elon Musk is going to save us from the meanies at twitter and pay no attention to this...

I have been teaching at schools where parents wanted certain books taken out of the school library.

Nut jobs!

The one they freaked out about last time was Harry Potter.  Get this, Harry Potter promotes witchcraft.  

I don't remember what ended up happening with it but I just remember a few parents freaking out.

Memo to people that want books banned.  Stop it, you are a dork.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I have been teaching at schools where parents wanted certain books taken out of the school library.

Nut jobs!

The one they freaked out about last time was Harry Potter.  Get this, Harry Potter promotes witchcraft.  

I don't remember what ended up happening with it but I just remember a few parents freaking out.

Memo to people that want books banned.  Stop it, you are a dork.

They're the modern version of the moms who wanted to ban D&D for witchcraft back in the 80s, or slap warning labels on records. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They're the modern version of the moms who wanted to ban D&D for witchcraft back in the 80s, or slap warning labels on records. 

Oh my god!  YES!

I totally forgot about the D&D Moms!  They totally freaked out over that game.  

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Without warning labels on records how were we supposed to know which ones to buy?

ROcKnRolL cOrRupTeD mE

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Without warning labels on records how were we supposed to know which ones to buy?

ROcKnRolL cOrRupTeD mE

No s#!t!

I think Alice Cooper said something like "If you want to sell a lot of records just make sure that christians are scared of your music"