Censorship

34 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The bolded is perhaps the most curious and interesting part to me moving forward because I think some people (and of those people, mostly more conservative folks) have obfuscated the issue into something it isn't. We can find a lot of conservative opinions and memes surrounding a variety of social issues on Twitter right now. It's very easy. In fact, most prominent conservative voices that have a Twitter have not been banned from Twitter.

But, let's look at a few of those who have been banned/suspended and why:

- Trump. Banned for the risk of potentially inciting further violence following Jan. 6th. His actions were grossly negligent at a minimum.

- MTG. Routinely spread blatantly false and potentially harmful COVID-19 information. 

- Bannon. Suspended for suggesting Fauci be beheaded.

- David Duke. Banned for violating hateful conduct policy.

- Mike Lindell. Banned for spreading objectively false election conspiracies.

Obviously this is just a selection. However, two of those are related to violence. One of them was related to spreading potentially harmful information regarding a pandemic. The rest are probably up to the court of public opinion.

I feel like there's this simmering narrative out there that conservative voices have been silenced for being conservative and, in my opinion, that just isn't the case. They've been silenced for often being violent or dangerous to public safety. I imagine in Elon's world, he's going to want to allow the ridiculous (but non-violent) stuff to remain. That's his prerogative and it is what it is. But some of the other stuff is going to be a real test for him and his moderation policies. At what point does he begin to care about those things if at all? That's the answer I'm most fascinated in seeing. Basically, how far does that pendulum shift, and what is the breaking point. We know there is one and will be one at some point.

Leave everyone on your list off the platform and perma banned, and I have no issues with it.

How about this one? Still suspended, which seems absurd to me. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
53 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The bolded is perhaps the most curious and interesting part to me moving forward because I think some people (and of those people, mostly more conservative folks) have obfuscated the issue into something it isn't. We can find a lot of conservative opinions and memes surrounding a variety of social issues on Twitter right now. It's very easy. In fact, most prominent conservative voices that have a Twitter have not been banned from Twitter.

- Trump. Banned for the risk of potentially inciting further violence following Jan. 6th. His actions were grossly negligent at a minimum.

- MTG. Routinely spread blatantly false and potentially harmful COVID-19 information. 

Obviously this is just a selection. However, two of those are related to violence. One of them was related to spreading potentially harmful information regarding a pandemic. The rest are probably up to the court of public opinion.

I feel like there's this simmering narrative out there that conservative voices have been silenced for being conservative and, in my opinion, that just isn't the case. They've been silenced for often being violent or dangerous to public safety. I imagine in Elon's world, he's going to want to allow the ridiculous (but non-violent) stuff to remain. That's his prerogative and it is what it is. But some of the other stuff is going to be a real test for him and his moderation policies. At what point does he begin to care about those things if at all? That's the answer I'm most fascinated in seeing. Basically, how far does that pendulum shift, and what is the breaking point. We know there is one and will be one at some point.

Basically all you wrote here is pretty hilarious, but regarding your last paragraph:

14 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Basically all you wrote here is pretty hilarious, but regarding your last paragraph:

So, if I own Twitter, and some people come on line and organize openly a violent action that would kill innocent people, I shouldn’t have the ability to ban them…..I would need to have the legal system take care of it probably after the fact. 

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

You certainly picked some good options. Frankly it’s nice not to have Trump on Twitter. Not because I follow on Twitter, but everything he tweeted was reported on ad nauseam. I am thinking more like Kevin Sorbo for election memes …I think. Gina Carano for comparing the current political climate to Nazi Germany and questioning more than two genders. Nazi comparisons are overused but whatever. Shake your head and move on.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if I own Twitter, and some people come on line and organize openly a violent action that would kill innocent people, I shouldn’t have the ability to ban them…..I would need to have the legal system take care of it probably after the fact. 

I don't think that's what Elon is saying. He's saying that content should only be moderated or censored if it is actually illegal, which is a stance that I agree with completely. 

I said a couple years ago when section 230 was a hot topic that social media giants should be treated like a utility.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I don't see the humor in what I posted. There's a lot of room for guess work and speculation right now, particularly since what you claim he said he did not actually say.

From you: "[Musk is] saying that content should only be moderated or censored if it is actually illegal, which is a stance that I agree with completely. "

What he actually said: "By “free speech”, I simply mean that which matches the law. I am against censorship that goes far beyond the law."

He did not categorically say only illegal content - he said that which goes far beyond the law. At a minimum this is some inconsistent phrasing even inside the tweet itself. And considering that neither you or I are likely on Elon's short list of personal confidants, it seems a bit ill-advised to posture like you know where this is going. None of us really do yet. I don't have a particular dog in the fight although I do generally lean towards supporting free speech even on social platforms.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I don't see the humor in what I posted. There's a lot of room for guess work and speculation right now, particularly since what you claim he said he did not actually say.

From you: "[Musk is] saying that content should only be moderated or censored if it is actually illegal, which is a stance that I agree with completely. "

What he actually said: "By “free speech”, I simply mean that which matches the law. I am against censorship that goes far beyond the law."

He did not categorically say only illegal content - he said that which goes far beyond the law. At a minimum this is some inconsistent phrasing even inside the tweet itself. And considering that neither you or I are likely on Elon's short list of personal confidants, it seems a bit ill-advised to posture like you know where this is going. None of us really do yet. I don't have a particular dog in the fight although I do generally lean towards supporting free speech even on social platforms.

Read it one more time:

By “free speech”, I simply mean that which matches the law.

--Elon Musk

Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

Read it one more time:

By “free speech”, I simply mean that which matches the law.

--Elon Musk

Read it one more time.

"I am against censorship that goes far beyond the law. "

- Elon Musk

He contradicts himself in one concise tweet. But, please, continue to enlighten us on how you know Elon and his intent so well.

• Plus1 1