Censorship

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's nothing so benign as that.

The schtick is that Musk is breaking the lid off some crazy news about the evils of social media when it's just a basic feature that anyone with three IQ cells to rub together knew about half a decade ago.

"The algorithm" is the new "Benghazi" or "but her emails" or "Hunter's laptop."

For someone who "doesn't have social media" that poster tends to post a lot of stuff they found on social media.

You seem angry with your little pot shots. I hope you feel better. have you ever noticed lots of news orgs include Twitter posts in their articles or tweet their own articles. It’s hard to avoid. It’s almost like Twitter is the place the news orgs go for their stories.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, nic said:

You seem angry with your little pot shots. I hope you feel better. have you ever noticed lots of news orgs include Twitter posts in their articles or tweet their own articles. It’s hard to avoid. It’s almost like Twitter is the place the news orgs go for their stories.

I think this is one of the reasons Twitter is treated more seriously. About a decade ago, it was scooping everyone with Arab Spring footage and people considered it a democratizing news source. Major political figures soon figured out it was the best place to make an announcement, float a trial balloon, or take a cheap potshot before deleting. Not to mention pro athletes and celebrities --- how many stories revolve around their Twitter posts? My wife tells me all sorts of breaking news, and when I ask where it came from she says "Twitter" and I have to follow up with "yeah, but whose account?" as it might be second or third hand or from a legit first hand news organization. But you gotta pay attention or you're just passing along hate tweets. 

On January 6, the 24/7 cable news networks were doing bland voice-overs with long camera shots of the Capitol while Twitter was feeding live footage of insurrection inside the building. CNN, Fox and the broadcast networks would have had jack squat without other people's cell phones + Twitter.  

Plus, we had a President who lived and breathed Twitter. And in some ways, that's all this is really about. 

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think this is one of the reasons Twitter is treated more seriously. About a decade ago, it was scooping everyone with Arab Spring footage and people considered it a democratizing news source. Major political figures soon figured out it was the best place to make an announcement, float a trial balloon, or take a cheap potshot before deleting. Not to mention pro athletes and celebrities --- how many stories revolve around their Twitter posts? My wife tells me all sorts of breaking news, and when I ask where it came from she says "Twitter" and I have to follow up with "yeah, but whose account?" as it might be second or third hand or from a legit first hand news organization. But you gotta pay attention or you're just passing along hate tweets. 

On January 6, the 24/7 cable news networks were doing bland voice-overs with long camera shots of the Capitol while Twitter was feeding live footage of insurrection inside the building. CNN, Fox and the broadcast networks would have had jack squat without other people's cell phones + Twitter.  

Plus, we had a President who lived and breathed Twitter. And in some ways, that's all this is really about. 

Wait...you don't just nod your head and go "Wow"?

41 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Elon Musk and his whole Twitter drama is getting weirder and weirder.  No wonder the far right-wing whack-a-doodles were all having a circle jerk when we set this in motion.  

Ironically, the Palmer Reports tweets sound like conspiracy theories. That said, I have seen Musk’s recent tweets and it sure looks like he is finding a way to back out…all while getting some to admit Twitter is part of the public square and taking some of the luster off the company 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, nic said:

Ironically, the Palmer Reports tweets sound like conspiracy theories. That said, I have seen Musk’s recent tweets and it sure looks like he is finding a way to back out…all while getting some to admit Twitter is part of the public square and taking some of the luster off the company 

When the far left finds out that the Muppets take Manhattan is NOT a documentary...the s#!t will hit the fan.

They seem to think that everyone is either puppet or a puppeteer. 

• Plus1 1

I didn’t know Musk had Asperger’s, and we all knew Twitter doesn’t exist for free speech. The end is funny because the Project Varitas person is trying to hint to the person in the film that he’s been had.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 8:31 AM, knapplc said:

You've dealt far worse here in P&R. Glass houses, and all that.

I will own up to making snide remarks on this forum for sure, including this last one. Feel free to fire back anytime, I am actually OK with it, but I might fire back, as well. :thumbs

• Plus1 1