Censorship

I would place my bets on Musk.

Ads being paused. Sounds like a woke rebellion against the new owner. Result is layoffs although i think he planned that all along. Of course if Twitter tanks, it's not the end of world. I don't really care about Musks wallet and those rich folks just declare bankruptcy or whatever and bounce back. Lots of workers hurt, though. They can all get hired by the Twitter replacement app company and the US will have divided platforms and mirror the rest of the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/tech/twitter-advertisers/index.html

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Is it a "woke rebellion" if advertisers decide that the owner is volatile and the changes at the company put their name and reputation at risk?  Or is it a company trying to limit the impact to their bottom line until they know how things are going to go?  

If I was a marketer at a co that advertises there I'd pull my funding based on the shear number of departing profiles.  Their potential business impact is decreasing everytime someone leaves the platform.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, nic said:

I would place my bets on Musk.

Ads being paused. Sounds like a woke rebellion against the new owner. Result is layoffs although i think he planned that all along. Of course if Twitter tanks, it's not the end of world. I don't really care about Musks wallet and those rich folks just declare bankruptcy or whatever and bounce back. Lots of workers hurt, though. They can all get hired by the Twitter replacement app company and the US will have divided platforms and mirror the rest of the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/tech/twitter-advertisers/index.html

Weren’t you trying to point out hypocrisy of the left just yesterday about changing positions on Twitter?

A month or so ago, you were claiming Twitter was equivalent to the public square.  Now it’s just a replaceable business you don’t care about?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Weren’t you trying to point out hypocrisy of the left just yesterday about changing positions on Twitter?

A month or so ago, you were claiming Twitter was equivalent to the public square.  Now it’s just a replaceable business you don’t care about?

It was a day ago and I would still argue it is…and it can fail. There are other public squares. Something will take its place. Why is that hypocrisy if I am not worried about the outcome? If companies want to pull ads, so be it. It may be that companies think their add money is better spent elsewhere. I honestly do not know who is pulling ads and why. I thought the woke rebellion comment was funny. It might be the excuse used if Twitter tanks. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

This wasn't posted in this thread but figured it's worth highlighting anyways.

Newspapers have nothing to do with free speech and never have.

Huh... Inego Montoya or Cooper eating Ice Cream? I'm so torn as to which "you don't have a damn clue what you're talking about" meme to use that I'm just going to ask you to change your username to John Snow. 

image.png.27fd79b29b7284189d0bdd020718f640.png

• TBH 1

6 hours ago, nic said:

It was a day ago and I would still argue it is…and it can fail. There are other public squares. Something will take its place. Why is that hypocrisy if I am not worried about the outcome? If companies want to pull ads, so be it. It may be that companies think their add money is better spent elsewhere. I honestly do not know who is pulling ads and why. I thought the woke rebellion comment was funny. It might be the excuse used if Twitter tanks. 

Twitter is a business just like you admitted.  They will, as they’ve always done, control their content how they see fit.

Nice to finally see folks realize this.  It’s not censorship; never was.

• TBH 1
7 hours ago, nic said:

Apologies I guess if I didn't read sarcasm in your initial post pointing out that it was flailing due to the woke liberal mob cancelling advertisers who remained.

And yes I think ELON MUSK and any of the folks who felt they were censored because their threats against individuals and groups and dangerous untruths will use it as the excuse WHEN Twitter fails after he took ownership.  But really it's due to his business decisions and poor planning and lack of forecasting.  If he didn't think that advertisers might not want their name and product below a Kanye tweet talking about how his jewish doctor wanted to off him or one where he boldly claims that slavery was a choice and slaves were treated well that really has nothing to do with censoring.

Interestingly enough, in the last few days if you look - the censoring going on relative to tweets that are critical of Musk and others in his world is huge.  Look at responses to his tweets sometime ... it will show as have 42 replies but when you click to view you can only see 4.

Now, what do you think about Nike and the Nets and how they're dealing with Kyrie?  Cancel culture or business decision?

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Apologies I guess if I didn't read sarcasm in your initial post pointing out that it was flailing due to the woke liberal mob cancelling advertisers who remained.

And yes I think ELON MUSK and any of the folks who felt they were censored because their threats against individuals and groups and dangerous untruths will use it as the excuse WHEN Twitter fails after he took ownership.  But really it's due to his business decisions and poor planning and lack of forecasting.  If he didn't think that advertisers might not want their name and product below a Kanye tweet talking about how his jewish doctor wanted to off him or one where he boldly claims that slavery was a choice and slaves were treated well that really has nothing to do with censoring.

Interestingly enough, in the last few days if you look - the censoring going on relative to tweets that are critical of Musk and others in his world is huge.  Look at responses to his tweets sometime ... it will show as have 42 replies but when you click to view you can only see 4.

Now, what do you think about Nike and the Nets and how they're dealing with Kyrie?  Cancel culture or business decision?

I have not been following the Kylie story much. I know he got suspended for 5 games for failing to apologize properly for anti-Semitic remarks. That’s about all. I don’t follow pro sports much, is he a great player? If so it’s a bad business decision to bench him. I guess he might be mis-representing his organization. 

Have fans been calling for him to get benched or let go and the organization responded to that? I don’t know.

what surprises me more is the number of famous folks posting anti-Semitic comments, recently.

Valeri Bertinelli changed her blue check mark name to elon musk on twitter.   it used to be that the blue check mark verified that it was actually you on the account.   now for $8 you too can be another blue check mark  elon musk on twitter

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, commando said:

Valeri Bertinelli changed her blue check mark name to elon musk on twitter.   it used to be that the blue check mark verified that it was actually you on the account.   now for $8 you too can be another blue check mark  elon musk on twitter

What shes' posting under his name is awesome.  Sorta proves his plan is stupid but she's using her power for good!

• Haha 1