Censorship

29 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The same thing happened with traditional paper news media in years past prior to social media.   

people with a propensity to do violent crime will usually do violent crime regardless of the circumstances.  They tend to find reasons to justify what they do with or without social media.  

I agree, although the vetting process for what gets published in more traditional media formats is typically more stringent than what one is capable of peddling on social media. A lot of the things these whackos find and share on social media is not going to be something you see on any nightly newscast or in your Sunday paper.

So, the questions end up becoming a) what do we think is more harmful than not and b) what should we do about it. That's ultimately where a lot of the consternation surrounding social media lays, in my opinion.

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think they should be held to the same standards as other similar accounts.

and what are those standards? Please elaborate. I might also argue that there is no "similar account" to Donald Trump based on the position he holds and his influence over his followers and over the media.

Tell me why an account like the Babylon Bee should be suspended?  Tell me why accounts that questioned or flat out denied the election should be suspended however misguided they were without any acts of violence called for by them?

I honestly don't remember why the Babylon Bee got suspended from Twitter. I thought it was pretty well understood that they are a comedy/satire account. Stemming from knapplc's post above (edit: and Lorewarn's post): did they play around with hate speech? Did they take it too far? I really don't know and don't care enough about the BB to look it up. 

How is that different than the federal government providing knowingly false information in regards to Covid in order to move an agenda?  How is that different than national news organizations tweeting lies and not being suspended?  

Wait, what are you actually advocating for? If you think Trump and his ilk should be given a platform for their BS, then why do you care about other lies? If you think government and journalism should be held accountable, then why are you re-posting James Woods crying over Trump being oppressed? 

I happen to think that accuracy and truth from our government and from the press is pretty damn important, and is fading away. Lies, bias, and inaccuracies should be called out. At the same time we should try to discern between intentional lies and mistakes, and implicit bias vs blatant divisiveness. It can all be harmful it a number of ways, and we should be wary of all of it. But I think we can afford to be a little more wary of the lies and hate that have a tendency to lead to violence and oppression. Not all lies are equivalent. 

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Because there was a specific rule against targeting trans individuals by intentionally misgendering them and they broke the rule. 

I didn't remember this. But I suppose if it was an issue of transphobia that got them suspended, it is no surprise that archy would come to their defense. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

We aren't 72 hours past a mass shooting in an LGBTQ nightclub and posters are questioning why the Babylon Bee's LGBTQ hate speech got them banned from twitter. 

Those words have real-life consequences and people are dying. 

Good lord:bang  we have posters blaming the Babylon bee type posts for a shooter in Colorado.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

He has clearly been vocal about the Bee suspension :dunno

He clearly wants people like the ex-president and others that were suspended to have the same treatment as other accounts doing the same thing who the previous twit mods aligned with.   Many of those who “actively spread lies and hate” that you don’t seem to have much of a problem with based on your lack of voice to ban those accounts. 

So to funhuskers question with a tweak: why do you want one sides “hate and lies” to have a voice but not the others? 

I have consistently said social media companies need to reign in all of the stupid.  I assumed people would understand that also meant crazy folks on the left.

17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good lord:bang  we have posters blaming the Babylon bee type posts for a shooter in Colorado.  

He isn't placing the blame on the Babylon Bee.  He is talking about how articles, posts, comments, etc. that dehumanize a subset of people can lead to whackos feeling their violence is validated.  And maybe even worse, make people who would normally be sympathetic to the group turn and look the other way.

We literally teach our teenagers about the propaganda push by the Nazis and how it made normal folks feel okay with the atrocities that were happening.  It doesn't have to be government sponsored to be damaging.

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Ulty said:
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Okay...what did they say that were lies? or hate? Provide examples and we can discuss and compare

Chuck Schumer for starters. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/05/schumer-trump-supreme-court/

Maxine waters for starters. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/19/politics/maxine-waters-derek-chauvin-trial/index.html

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/25/politics/maxine-waters-trump-officials/index.html

Bernie Sanders rhetoric was cited as a reason for the Congressional shooter and Omar has already been discussed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Because there was a specific rule against targeting trans individuals by intentionally misgendering them and they broke the rule. 

And it looks like the new owner fixed that rule.

The use of your word “targeting” is quite laughable too.  Targeting for what exactly?  Targeting their biological sex?   LOL.   

Do we now say someone is “targeting” Ron DeSantis and calling him Rhonda?   It’s misnaming him.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Ulty said:

I really don't know and don't care enough about the BB to look it up. 

Then what’s the point of you even being involved in the discussion about treating accounts the same if you have no interest in figuring out if an account you seem to not care about is treated in a different manner.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Ulty said:

Wait, what are you actually advocating for?

The same thing I’ve been advocating for all along.  Thought that was pretty clear, treat all the accounts with the same standards :dunno

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

If you think government and journalism should be held accountable, then why are you re-posting James Woods crying over Trump being oppressed? 

Because one wasn’t being held accountable one one was.  James Woods wasn’t crying btw.   You seem a little triggered by him expressing an opinion.   Interesting tell.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Ulty said:

I didn't remember this. But I suppose if it was an issue of transphobia that got them suspended, it is no surprise that archy would come to their defense. 

This just describes the biggest issue the left has to a tea.   When the argument is lost, just try and label someone with a label that doesn’t fit but tries to denigrate them.  :ahhhhhhhh

• Plus1 1