Censorship

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

Uh... Shocker here, but Bannon is lying again. Tesla is like the only foreign automaker to 100% own their joint venture factory. To do automotive business in China you basically have to have a joint venture. And from experience they will steal your designs :lol:

• TBH 2

I can't remember the name of the Act/Bill that is in the works to try and ban TikTok, and then make it a criminal offense and up to 20 years in jail to use a VPN to access banned sites.   How would that impact people who use a jailbroken Firestick and a VPN to access streaming sites that one may or may not pay for?   Just aksing for a friend....

• TBH 2

12 minutes ago, sho said:

I can't remember the name of the Act/Bill that is in the works to try and ban TikTok, and then make it a criminal offense and up to 20 years in jail to use a VPN to access banned sites.   How would that impact people who use a jailbroken Firestick and a VPN to access streaming sites that one may or may not pay for?   Just aksing for a friend....

Been reading about on that bill and it seems pretty scary on what some point unintended consequences of it may be. I’m not really looking for a digital version of the patriot act to be put into law just to get rid of TikTok. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
43 minutes ago, sho said:

What sites are even banned in the US, and how can that be justified with the 1st amendment? I completely trust congress to f#&% up any legislation regarding VPNs.

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, ZRod said:

What sites are even banned in the US, and how can that be justified with the 1st amendment? I completely trust congress to f#&% up any legislation regarding VPNs.

Banned probably isn’t the right word (until TikTok is banned) but accessing streaming sites to stream shows and events through jailbroken Firestick or certain international websites and using a VPN to mask your location is very common.  It then becomes a copyright violation for the person streaming it, but they are usually out of country and do not have the consequences of copyright infringement. I am wondering if I were to continue accessing an international site on my laptop to stream a game or show (for instance my nephew will stream WrestleMania this weekend and not order Paramount+ or I can stream Ted Lasso from an international site without paying for AppleTV) will this now be considered a felony?    Im not downloading anything, which was the issue with Napster etc back in the day, but this new legislation, if passed makes it sound like extreme penalties for accessing sites like these now.   

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

“Musk replied that he still very much supported Ukraine, but he was afraid that a “massive escalation” of the war would hurt not only Ukraine but the whole world”

In purely the context of him supporting Russia…yeah, a total Putinist. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1