Censorship

20 hours ago, knapplc said:

We aren't 72 hours past a mass shooting in an LGBTQ nightclub and posters are questioning why the Babylon Bee's LGBTQ hate speech got them banned from twitter. 

Those words have real-life consequences and people are dying. 

Who knew the Babylon Bee advocated for people to be non-binary and have they/them pronouns:dunno

Or did someone just get out over their skies with a narrative before the facts are actually coming out.  

• Fire 2
23 hours ago, knapplc said:

We aren't 72 hours past a mass shooting in an LGBTQ nightclub and posters are questioning why the Babylon Bee's LGBTQ hate speech got them banned from twitter. 

Those words have real-life consequences and people are dying. 

Saw last night that the shooter identifies publicly as non-binary. If actually true would be quite interesting especially if applied to a statement like this.

• TBH 2
15 minutes ago, Decked said:

Saw last night that the shooter identifies publicly as non-binary. If actually true would be quite interesting especially if applied to a statement like this.

People are just as capable of being led to hate themselves due to hysteria and fear-mongering and toxic narratives as they are to hating others.

• Plus1 4

39 minutes ago, Decked said:

Help me understand the significance of that in relationship to the Babylon Bee's hate speech.

Societal demonizing rhetoric could never possibly lead to someone with low self-esteem and possible other mental health issues to further hate themselves and others like them.  Those feelings of isolation from society could never contribute to someone snapping.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I figured this applies here since many are quick to put the transphobic label everywhere..

I've never bought into the transphobic hype surrounding JK. If she's guilty of anything, it's more poor word choice and the narrative framing for her opinion on women and trans people. She's a passionate advocate for women and has found a lot of meaning in that throughout her life.

A lot of people made it a point to say they were going to trash/burn her books. Power to 'em. I still reread the entire series every few years and love them.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Decked said:

I don't want to go off on too much of a tangent, but after watching the absolute s#!tshow that was the Darrell Brooks Waukesha trial over the last few months, I'm inherently skeptical of things that might be utilized as a defense later on. I'm curious if this is a strategy by the defense team to make the defendant ultimately more sympathetic, particularly towards the community of people he targeted.

Regardless though, the backstory I've read on that kid so far... pretty awful. Parents with mental health issues/alcohol abuse, an unstable childhood, victim of relentless bullying in his childhood (including what sounds like a particularly vindictive online parody website specifically created to bully him). Obviously doesn't excuse his choices, but does explain them.

• Plus1 1