Censorship

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But I'm not sure what bringing Elon Musk on stage does here, at least not without more context. D

Only joke I heard had something to do with mocking the people who booed Musk for having s#!tty upper balcony seats. Way to punch down, Dave. 

The whole punching down vs punching up is a dumb narrative, and I hate it. Comedy punches from all angles, and it should. No one should be immune, and that's always kind of been Dave's schtick, but you're an a$$h@!e if you rip your own fans for not being able to afford good seats to your show in a stadium while you talk about how rich you and the billionaire you have on stage for no apparent reason are. That's f#&%ed up!

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Combined with his detached and kinda bitter performance on SNL, I think he plans on going down in flames. Which he already did once. 

I actually thought his SNL monologue was pretty funny and struck a good balance, what was detached and bitter about it?

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

The whole punching down vs punching up is a dumb narrative, and I hate it. Comedy punches from all angles, and it should. No one should be immune, and that's always kind of been Dave's schtick, but you're an a$$h@!e if you rip your own fans for not being able to afford good seats to your show in a stadium while you talk about how rich you and the billionaire you have on stage for no apparent reason are. That's f#&%ed up!

I actually thought his SNL monologue was pretty funny and struck a good balance, what was detached and bitter about it?

Chappelle's SNL monologue was okay but really subdued, as if he was preparing to lose the crowd. He knew he was making a statement and it was less about comedy, which is fine. But it also made him seemed removed from the proceedings. The bulk of the skits were about savvy black people vs. clueless white people -- one of which was pretty funny — but the others were increasingly formulaic. Not much chemistry with the cast in the scenes, and at the curtain call he did not turn to interact with anyone in the cast, and I've never seen that before. 

As far as punching down vs. punching up, it is what it is. If you're planning on punching down, you're gonna have to be twice as clever. Ricky Gervais gets away with this better than anybody. 

13 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Chappelle's SNL monologue was okay but really subdued, as if he was preparing to lose the crowd. He knew he was making a statement and it was less about comedy, which is fine. But it also made him seemed removed from the proceedings. The bulk of the skits were about savvy black people vs. clueless white people -- one of which was pretty funny — but the others were increasingly formulaic. Not much chemistry with the cast in the scenes, and at the curtain call he did not turn to interact with anyone in the cast, and I've never seen that before. 

As far as punching down vs. punching up, it is what it is. If you're planning on punching down, you're gonna have to be twice as clever. Ricky Gervais gets away with this better than anybody. 

Fair enough. I don't watch SNL, so all I saw was the monologue. It felt just like his standup to me.

Gervais is an equal opportunity prick, and he is hilarious at it, which is how he gets away with it. Bill Burr also rips everyone. Most great comedians make fun of those above and below them. That's how their brand of social commentary works, and it's always been that way.

9 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Maybe he brought Musk on stage to give Musk a lesson.

Definitely not.

This is an interesting thread. His opinion is that Twitter’s problem is that it was moderated with a liberal slant. And, that if Musk moderated it with a conservative slant, that’s fine because liberal journalists will migrate to other Internet forums and that makes the internet better. 

So, can someone explain why one is better than the other?

Seems yo me that previously, conservatives were migrating to placing like Truth Social. Why isn’t that the same as what he is saying the other way?

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Did Musk not sell that amount of shares or was Tesla stock not sliding before the market opened?

He did and it depends on the time point of the futures market you were looking at.   It literally could have been rising from a futures low all the way to the open, as TSLA was positive 7 minutes after the open.  not to mention someone posted the article after the TSLA/NASDAQ spread for say was established.  

So…..What’s the implication or reason for the article?  

• Plus1 1