Censorship

https://mastodon.social/@mmasnick/109627532289931057

I continue to be amazed at how Taibbi and crew take the most banal, everyday events, frame them without context, and make them seem conspiratorial. The latest "Twitter Files" does serve to highlight that Senator Mark Warner has long been a joke (with deeply censorial instincts), but... otherwise show nothing particularly noteworthy.

• Plus1 4

17 hours ago, nic said:

It was more than that. And yes. I think you would be if they were suppressing stuff for Trumps benefit back then.

Matt Taibbi who has actually been analyzing the info dump.

"I think we can say pretty conclusively, after looking at tens of thousands of emails over the course of these weeks, that the government was in the censorship business in a huge way — that's, I think, provable now," 

"And not just one agency. Really every conceivable wing of the enforcement agencies of the U.S. government were in some way or another sending moderation requests to Twitter, and in many cases those requests were being fulfilled."

Censorship of what?

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

They were doing that too and got many of them wrong as to being Russian actors it seems.  

Sorry…..I guess???

I guess I don’t share the demonization of our government agencies as republicans do. 

Tgey sure loved the FBI when they announced they were investigating Hillary and gave Trump the election.  But….don’t you dare to do something against people they like.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I don’t share the demonization of our government agencies as republicans do. 

The reporter who shared this information is pretty Liberal:dunno

Speaking as just one Republican, it’s not a demonization of a government agency thing, it’s a holding them accountable for bad actions thing which should be a guiding principal to everyone.  In no way should the FBI/CIA/or any other Intelligence agency be asking social media companies to censor/ban users for content that doesn’t go against terms of service for said social media company.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The reporter who shared this information is pretty Liberal:dunno

Speaking as just one Republican, it’s not a demonization of a government agency thing, it’s a holding them accountable for bad actions thing which should be a guiding principal to everyone.  In no way should the FBI/CIA/or any other Intelligence agency be asking social media companies to censor/ban users for content that doesn’t go against terms of service for said social media company.  

Yeah sure.  Love them when investigating Hillary.  Hate them investigating Trump….that’s where it started. And it’s just gotten worse as far as hating our intelligence community by republicans.  

• Plus1 2

Maybe republicans would get more respect for this if they haven’t cried wolf so much about how horrible our gub’ment is.  

The education department is grooming our kids to be transgender. 

The IRS is OMG investigating people for not paying taxes and shouldn’t be funded to do that better. 

Our military is nothing more than pink flamingos that care more about what gender you want to be than anything. 

What else am I forgetting?

• Plus1 1