Censorship

On 4/2/2023 at 12:51 PM, Decked said:

“Musk replied that he still very much supported Ukraine, but he was afraid that a “massive escalation” of the war would hurt not only Ukraine but the whole world”

In purely the context of him supporting Russia…yeah, a total Putinist. 

Is this literally the reason he bought Twitter though? To stop censor ship of the platform? And goes and does it in one of the absolute worst kind of ways.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Is this literally the reason he bought Twitter though? To stop censor ship of the platform? And goes and does it in one of the absolute worst kind of ways.

Only talking about that in terms of being a “putinist”. I disagree with censorship as a whole. 

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Only talking about that in terms of being a “putinist”. I disagree with censorship as a whole. 

Fair enough. It was inflammatory, but Elon has had a few instances now where he said one thing to appear positive towards Ukraine and did the opposite (see starlink). I'd agree he's not a "Putinist", but he is a shady businessman.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, ZRod said:

Fair enough. It was inflammatory, but Elon has had a few instances now where he said one thing to appear positive towards Ukraine and did the opposite (see starlink). I'd agree he's not a "Putinist", but he is a shady businessman.

i think he really likes the oligarch system in place in russia and wouldn't mind having those perks here.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
32 minutes ago, commando said:

i think he really likes the oligarch system in place in russia and wouldn't mind having those perks here.

33 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Or perhaps he truly believes it is in the best interest of both his business and the United States to be neutral. Probably more so the cash flow. 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, censoring tweets about the war is remaining neutral?  I think not.

That little tidbit of this thread was more so trying to squash the label of him being a “putinist”. Censoring tweets goes beyond the Ukraine-Russian war and is IMO..wrong. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, by censoring the tweets, he's in fact supporting Putin in the war.

I wonder what the logic behind that is. Is Ukraine/Russia no longer interesting to the Twitter masses? Is he indeed a “Putin supporter”? I would think for him top priority is making money.  

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Decked said:

Or perhaps he truly believes it is in the best interest of both his business and the United States to be neutral. Probably more so the cash flow. 

Then why even mention you're letting UK use Starlink? That inserting yourself smack dab into the conflict.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Then why even mention you're letting UK use Starlink? That inserting yourself smack dab into the conflict.

Profit. He is also not the United States military sending billions in equipment. 

56 minutes ago, Decked said:

Profit. He is also not the United States military sending billions in equipment. 

But if you equipped a country in war with mobile internet, that is a massive weapon in this day and age. I just think he's a two faced slime ball, but I've thought that for some time now.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2