Censorship

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Your views on regulation are interesting as a Republican.  Republicans I know view ALL regulation as bad.  If a politician claims he's going to deregulate something, they don't even question it...they cheer it on.  

You seem to be more along the views of mine.  Regulation is needed for a healthy economy and society.  We just need to make sure it's well thought out and accomplishes what it's supposed to without negative repercussions.  

I think one of the major things missing from regulation is a feedback mechanism. Something that tracks the regulation and provides data so that we can see if the regulation is doing what it was intended to do and what the side-effects are. That makes it possible to de-regulate or modify regulations in a sane way that's transparent.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think one of the major things missing from regulation is a feedback mechanism. Something that tracks the regulation and provides data so that we can see if the regulation is doing what it was intended to do and what the side-effects are. That makes it possible to de-regulate or modify regulations in a sane way that's transparent.

So true.

Right now, if industry has a problem with an OSHA regulation, our only mode of fixing it is hiring lobbyists to go to Washington to argue our case.  I hate that.  Industry then looks like some horrible lobbying group that doesn't care about American workers....bla bla bla.  When, in reality, many people just want reasonable regulations.

If there were a formal way of expressing our grievances and having input into what is decided, it would be much more productive.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So true.

Right now, if industry has a problem with an OSHA regulation, our only mode of fixing it is hiring lobbyists to go to Washington to argue our case.  I hate that.  Industry then looks like some horrible lobbying group that doesn't care about American workers....bla bla bla.  When, in reality, many people just want reasonable regulations.

If there were a formal way of expressing our grievances and having input into what is decided, it would be much more productive.

And industry has a vested interest that may be why the regulation was put in place to begin with. There needs to be not just a mechanism for change but a process that highlights both the "why" of what the regulation was intended to do and the "what" of evidence of how well it's actually performing.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You really want to know how to fix this???? You don't let one single private company get so large as to "hold the keys to the internet," in ANY INDUSTRY. It's why anti-trust laws exist. But then the Republican congress sought to appease their donors rather than enforce those laws. Now they can all REAP what they've SOWN. 

This we can agree on:cheers

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And industry has a vested interest that may be why the regulation was put in place to begin with. There needs to be not just a mechanism for change but a process that highlights both the "why" of what the regulation was intended to do and the "what" of evidence of how well it's actually performing.

Yes.  When industry gets involved in this type of thing, some people scream that INDUSTRY IS WRITING THE REGULATIONS!!!!  If there is a well thought out process like you stated here, then industry and regulators together can go to the public with real data as to why the changes are being done.

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Your views on regulation are interesting as a Republican.  Republicans I know view ALL regulation as bad.  If a politician claims he's going to deregulate something, they don't even question it...they cheer it on.  

You seem to be more along the views of mine.  Regulation is needed for a healthy economy and society.  We just need to make sure it's well thought out and accomplishes what it's supposed to without negative repercussions.  

Sounds like we agree on that.  

I take that same nuance to Trade.   On the appropriate thread we can discuss.  I want free trade, but it has to be fair and free not just free on our end and unfair practices from the other side.  Differentiates me from old style Republican politics.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Rs accept regulation very much where there is no meaningful competition, such as electric power.  When you have a monopoly or cartel, the legal system needs to prevent abuse, such as what Big Tech has been doing in politics.  Right now the social media platforms infamously have immunity from civil liability.  

I don't know if "regulation" is the answer until someone tells me what regulations they want.  a better answer would be nondiscrimination laws; what you allow the goose must also go for the gander.

9 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Rs accept regulation very much where there is no meaningful competition, such as electric power.  When you have a monopoly or cartel, the legal system needs to prevent abuse, such as what Big Tech has been doing in politics.  Right now the social media platforms infamously have immunity from civil liability.  

I don't know if "regulation" is the answer until someone tells me what regulations they want.  a better answer would be nondiscrimination laws; what you allow the goose must also go for the gander.

That is not what the Republican party has preached for a very long time.

When, during the last 4 years has anyone in the Republican party talked about anything other than deregulation?

26 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

when the dems call for their followers to storm the capitol...i will support banning them from social media also.

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, commando said:

when the dems call for their followers to storm the capitol...i will support banning them from social media also.

let me rephrase just a bit since all republicans are not banned on twitter.   i support banning anyone who calls for insurrection  

• Plus1 3