Censorship

I find it interesting that extreme right wingers are so happy Elon bought Twitter.  Elon.....a very liberal person who is strong on global warming and EVs.  

This is really going to be interesting to watch.

I saw someone claim that he borrowed 25 million for the purchase at 4.5-5% interest.  That means Twitter will be making larger interest payments per year than what they've typically made in profit.

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find it interesting that extreme right wingers are so happy Elon bought Twitter.  Elon.....a very liberal person who is strong on global warming and EVs.  

This is really going to be interesting to watch.

I saw someone claim that he borrowed 25 million for the purchase at 4.5-5% interest.  That means Twitter will be making larger interest payments per year than what they've typically made in profit.

I think it's crazy that left wingers are so upset Elon bought Twitter.

For the same same reasons

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I have a Twitter account but I don't really use it.  Checked it out a little yesterday and loads of people seemed to be upset about Musk buying it, but were awfully vague as to why they were upset.  

It was like they were trying to make him the bad guy without really having a reason other than he's rich.  I guess being rich is bad now 

Eh, it's obviously not that simple. 

Elon Musk isn't your average rich man. I gently disagree that it's all about money with him. Elon Musk is the guy who is so rich and clever, he can buy the company of the guy who offended him, then have him fired. And haven't we all had that fantasy before?  In other words, Twitter isn't the smartest financial investment Musk could make right now --- it may even be disastrous -- but it's the most fun. That's Elon Musk's brand. 

Seeing as he's one man assuming control of the town square, he certainly warrants the scrutiny and concern. What makes Musk interesting is that you truly don't know what he's going to do with it. 

George Soros is rich, too, and there would be panic in the red streets if his consortium bought Twitter. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

George Soros is rich, too, and there would be panic in the red streets if his consortium bought Twitter. 

I am pretty sure people on the right already think Twitter was a liberal company in the tank for the Dems. Soros buying it would have made them say “I told you so” in unison. Who knows how this will work out. It will be fun to watch. If someone comes back on and posts about 2020 election fraud, so be it. They can be ignored. People will end up blocking folks they do not want to listen to. There will be two factions of people that only listen to their like minded friends… Just like everything else.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, nic said:

I am pretty sure people on the right already think Twitter was a liberal company in the tank for the Dems.

I'm fairly confident a right-wing nut job will at some point post something that goes over the line resulting in their account being banned/suspended, and then Twitter will just go back to being another 'liberal think tank.'

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm fairly confident a right-wing nut job will at some point post something that goes over the line resulting in their account being banned/suspended, and then Twitter will just go back to being another 'liberal think tank.'

Elon Musk owning Twitter definitely won't solve the problem of asymmetrical bats#!t crazy and rule breaking internet content on behalf of one camp moreso than another.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, nic said:

Now he cares...is Twitter now the Pubic square?

Instagram, snapchat, ticktok, pinterest, google hangouts, google chats, amazon, clothing sites, college sites, you name it.  I see students on those sites all the time.  Not twitter.

• Oh Yeah! 1
39 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I guarantee the envelope will be pushed almost immediately. I would like to see how this plays out. I thought the NYPost ban was bad move and looked very suspicious. If someone tweets their opinion on social issues or posts a funny meme that might offend someone I don't really care. I guess we will see how far it goes.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, nic said:

I guarantee the envelope will be pushed almost immediately. I would like to see how this plays out. I thought the NYPost ban was bad move and looked very suspicious. If someone tweets their opinion on social issues or posts a funny meme that might offend someone I don't really care. I guess we will see how far it goes.

The bolded is perhaps the most curious and interesting part to me moving forward because I think some people (and of those people, mostly more conservative folks) have obfuscated the issue into something it isn't. We can find a lot of conservative opinions and memes surrounding a variety of social issues on Twitter right now. It's very easy. In fact, most prominent conservative voices that have a Twitter have not been banned from Twitter.

But, let's look at a few of those who have been banned/suspended and why:

- Trump. Banned for the risk of potentially inciting further violence following Jan. 6th. His actions were grossly negligent at a minimum.

- MTG. Routinely spread blatantly false and potentially harmful COVID-19 information. 

- Bannon. Suspended for suggesting Fauci be beheaded.

- David Duke. Banned for violating hateful conduct policy.

- Mike Lindell. Banned for spreading objectively false election conspiracies.

Obviously this is just a selection. However, two of those are related to violence. One of them was related to spreading potentially harmful information regarding a pandemic. The rest are probably up to the court of public opinion.

I feel like there's this simmering narrative out there that conservative voices have been silenced for being conservative and, in my opinion, that just isn't the case. They've been silenced for often being violent or dangerous to public safety. I imagine in Elon's world, he's going to want to allow the ridiculous (but non-violent) stuff to remain. That's his prerogative and it is what it is. But some of the other stuff is going to be a real test for him and his moderation policies. At what point does he begin to care about those things if at all? That's the answer I'm most fascinated in seeing. Basically, how far does that pendulum shift, and what is the breaking point. We know there is one and will be one at some point.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1