Call Your Shot - 2020 Prediction Thread

Cdog923

We're a week out (and I haven't seen this thread yet), so let's make some predictions, shall we?

Ohio State - L

Wisconsin - L

Northwestern - W 

Penn St. - L

Illinois - W

Iowa - L

Purdue - L

Minnesota - L

I've got my flame shield ready; provided that we play all 8 games, this has all the potential to be the roughest season in a string of rough seasons, as there are too many questions in too many places to have a lot of confidence in many of these games. There is a lot of potential and promise with new and young players in a lot of spots, but without accounting for it, the floor for this team is 2 wins, IMO.

On offense, Junior Adrian needs to be a better version of Freshman Adrian, or it'll fall on Luke's shoulders and with the questions at RB and WR, the offensive line needs to make a massive leap for this offense to go anywhere. TE has a lot of bodies, but have any of them made enough of an improvement to be dangerous in this offense? 

On defense, there are a lot of bodies on the line, but can any of them get a pass rush? Can any of our linebackers? The secondary looks to be the best position group, but will they be able to provide enough coverage to allow the front 7 to get pressure on the QB? 

TL;DR: there are too many unknowns for me to feel confident predicting anything over 2 wins this season. I will happily eat crow if this team gels and comes together. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2

I’m gonna say 5-.....ah screw it, 6-2.

Im not going to pick each game. I will say tOSU will be one of the losses and Wiscy will be a win. Not sure where the other loss will come from.

Edit- changed mine to reflect the actual number of games we're playing :facepalm: Not sure what I was thinking...

• Plus1 1

You might think OP's take is pessimistic but seriously, look at how this team has performed the last 3 years. The first 4 games could crush their psyches this year. I personally think they're more reilisient than past years so they finish strong and get to .500.

Ohio State - L

Wisconsin - W

Northwestern - L

Penn St. - L

Illinois - W

Iowa - W

Purdue - L

Minnesota - W

The defense still won't be able to stop the run but the offense and ST are improved enough to win a couple we would've lost in 19.  We go 4-4 but beat both Iowa and Wisconsin so the season is a success.

My real hot take: we don't get through all 8 games without a postponement/cancelation.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

You might think OP's take is pessimistic but seriously, look at how this team has performed the last 3 years. The first 4 games could crush their psyches this year. I personally think they're more reilisient than past years so they finish strong and get to .500.

Ohio State - L 

Wisconsin - W 

Northwestern - L 

Penn St. - L 

Illinois - W 

Iowa - W 

Purdue - L 

Minnesota - W 

The defense still won't be able to stop the run but the offense and ST are improved enough to win a couple we would've lost in 19.  We go 4-4 but beat both Iowa and Wisconsin so the season is a success.

My real hot take: we don't get through all 8 games without a postponement/cancelation.

We will have to cancel/forfeit.  No way to reschedule. The B1G didn't leave any wiggle room like the Big XII, SEC and ACC.....

I think we surprise PSU or OSU.  I really do. This season feels completely different for all the right reasons.  Game Day joking about NU, Fox crew no respect at all.  We are seen as the Maryland and Rutgers of the B1G right now.  Frost finally has a team that has his mentality. All gas, no brakes.  It will show this season.  Wan'dale's comments when asked about being a 21 point dog to OSU.  No points on that scoreboard yet.........Yea.  We are different.  

I was predicting a losing season pre-covid (4-8/5-7).  Now I feel that we go 6-3/5-4 regular season.  Unsure who would be a pre-season loss, but would say OSU and PSU, but as above we catch one of those. I'm honestly more apt to say OSU.  They play PSU the following week.  Everyone today talking about OSU getting a tune up game.  We are not even on Day or OSU's radar.......PSU will have our attention.  

We are in contention for the West.  Austin, IMHO, will be the Husker MVP with the running game coordinator.....Pass the Kool-Aid.  This year we see the future of NU.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, lo country said:

We will have to cancel/forfeit.  No way to reschedule. The B1G didn't leave any wiggle room like the Big XII, SEC and ACC.....

I think we surprise PSU or OSU.  I really do. This season feels completely different for all the right reasons.  Game Day joking about NU, Fox crew no respect at all.  We are seen as the Maryland and Rutgers of the B1G right now.  Frost finally has a team that has his mentality. All gas, no brakes.  It will show this season.  Wan'dale's comments when asked about being a 21 point dog to OSU.  No points on that scoreboard yet.........Yea.  We are different.  

I was predicting a losing season pre-covid (4-8/5-7).  Now I feel that we go 6-3/5-4 regular season.  Unsure who would be a pre-season loss, but would say OSU and PSU, but as above we catch one of those. I'm honestly more apt to say OSU.  They play PSU the following week.  Everyone today talking about OSU getting a tune up game.  We are not even on Day or OSU's radar.......PSU will have our attention.  

We are in contention for the West.  Austin, IMHO, will be the Husker MVP with the running game coordinator.....Pass the Kool-Aid.  This year we see the future of NU.

I hope much of what you're saying is correct.  I remember the coach, on Gameday, with similar swagger as Wan'dale now, speaking in a manner where you'd have thought the OSU game could be different.  We know that outcome.

I'm more tempered in expectations than in any year.  Hopeful?  Sure.  But I would not be surprised if we look outclassed again on a few Saturdays.  I'm so tired of the talk.  Show it.

Very soon, we will see.