Ohio State Week Pressers

Mavric

15 hours ago, Toe said:

I'm gonna guess that "the news" came from the fact that you missed a lot of practice, and even your head coach was saying he hoped you'd be playing this fall.

The rumor did start before Frost ever said he "hoped" he'd be available for the first game. In my opinion, it was hard to tell if Frost's annoyance was at Manning for missing practice or if it was at the media for continually asking about Manning when he'd answered the question about 3 or 4 times before that one in pressers.

Just listened to Farniok's interview (maybe it was from yesterday or maybe it was from last week, not even sure). Reading between the lines, you can kind of tell that the coaches involved with the running game identified that last season there was too much hesitation/trying to run around defenders instead of quickly finding some kind of lane and running through it hard downhill.

If we have actually improved in this area of our offense, then I really like our chances against the Iowas and Minnesotas of our schedule. Combine that one element with improved special teams and we have a chance at a winning season IMO.

• Plus1 5
27 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just listened to Farniok's interview (maybe it was from yesterday or maybe it was from last week, not even sure). Reading between the lines, you can kind of tell that the coaches involved with the running game identified that last season there was too much hesitation/trying to run around defenders instead of quickly finding some kind of lane and running through it hard downhill.

If we have actually improved in this area of our offense, then I really like our chances against the Iowas and Minnesotas of our schedule. Combine that one element with improved special teams and we have a chance at a winning season IMO.

Bingo, there is no harm in sometimes taking 3-4 yards up the middle if it's available. Not every play will be a homerun or first down. Being able to continuously plow up and down the field wears a defense out over four quarters and can be helpful to our defense by winning some of the time of possession battle. 

27 minutes ago, Undone said:

That definitely was brought up a couple times.  By coaches and players. 

I've read several times that Washington was the main culprit.  He tried to bounce everything to the outside and outrun people.  I'm curious if not having him around makes most of the difference or if the others we still have are better at getting upfield as well.  

Just now, Mavric said:

I've read several times that Washington was the main culprit.  He tried to bounce everything to the outside and outrun people.  I'm curious if not having him around makes most of the difference or if the others we still have are better at getting upfield as well.

I actually started writing that very thing in that post and then deleted because he's not even on the team anymore. I really think you're right.

The whole thing really starts with good blocking though, IMO. The bigger the holes there are to run through, the easier your backs see 'em and run through them. But it's definitely both things at the same time as well.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

I actually started writing that very thing in that post and then deleted because he's not even on the team anymore. I really think you're right.

The whole thing really starts with good blocking though, IMO. The bigger the holes there are to run through, the easier your backs see 'em and run through them. But it's definitely both things at the same time as well.

Some of the better running backs are the ones who can get a quick first step and attack the hole instead of getting cute. Obviously you have to trust the hole will be there but getting cute and dancing around only allows more time for 2nd level guys to get there. 

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

image.png.25e78c2b406105ef18b3fb27c5a90590.png

tenor.gif

That might have been the best Tweet I have seen all day.  Low kickoffs being fielded at the 10 are the worst!!!!

I will never take for granted the generally great kicking game NU had over the past 30 years.  It's not just FG's, it was the long line of punters and kickers doing well at kicking touchbacks.

• Plus1 3