Ohio State Week Pressers

Mavric

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Recruiting guys - how many of our 4-stars are upper-classmen, and how many are under-classmen?

Unless there's a spreadsheet out there that I'm not aware of, getting an exact answer is fairly tedious. I'll start with offense in this post, and this is just going off of 24/7 Sports' star ratings:

-Adrian Martinez (Jr)

-Matt Farniok (Sr)

-Oliver Martin (Jr) <--transfer WR

Unless I'm missing someone obvious, that's it. I thought I had remembered Senior offensive lineman Christian Gaylord being a four star, but 24/7 had him as a three star.

Brendar Jaimes is pretty much undisputedly our best offensive linemen right now, and 24/7 had him as a three star. That guy has played above his presumed potential and is a great player/story, IMO.

Using Rivals, for example, may add more results. Just too tedious, though.

*Edit: Added Oliver Martin

10 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Makes you wonder how good of a coach Day actually is and how he'd do at a lesser school

A fair question would be why are Michigan and Nebraska are underachieving with all those 4stars.  Minnesota just has four 4* players and look at what they did to us last season.   Sure they graduated some good talent, but you see my point.  

This is exactly why I no longer get all bent out of shape with recruiting rankings, etc.   Sure, it matters somewhat, but mainly when you’re among the best programs nationally or if you’re legitimately in contention for a conference title.  

For us, now, there’s more important things to focus our energy on.   Besting or equaling Wisconsin and Iowa in coaching and culture will win us the West.   Not more four stars.  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Recruiting guys - how many of our 4-stars are upper-classmen, and how many are under-classmen?

Looks like of the 22 listed on 247: 2 from class of 2016, 0 from class of 2017, 4 from class of 2018, 7 from class of 2019, and 9 from class of 2020. The 2020 4 stars include transfers like Oliver Martin and Ezra Miller.

Then for defense, @knapplc, this is what I came up with off the top of my head:

-Caleb Tannor (Jr)

-Keem Green (Jr)

-Marquel Dismuke (Sr)

So unless I missed somebody in my upperclassmen list, and also assuming that original graphic is accurate with their count of 22 four stars on our roster, 6 are upperclassmen and 16 are underclassmen.

Makes you excited for our future, for sure. Especially given the exception year for eligibility this year.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, omahaherb said:

Ezra Miller

Good call, but he's an underclassmen. I say this because the exercise is much easier and also proves the point of how much of our raw talent is weighted on the younger side by just listing out the upperclassmen who were four stars.   :)

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

A fair question would be why are Michigan and Nebraska are underachieving with all those 4stars.  Minnesota just has four 4* players and look at what they did to us last season.   Sure they graduated some good talent, but you see my point.  

This is exactly why I no longer get all bent out of shape with recruiting rankings, etc.   Sure, it matters somewhat, but mainly when you’re among the best programs nationally or if you’re legitimately in contention for a conference title.  

For us, now, there’s more important things to focus our energy on.   Besting or equaling Wisconsin and Iowa in coaching and culture will win us the West.   Not more four stars.  

The obvious answer is in the post above yours.

Most of our top ranked players from Riley never worked out and left the program.  So, you can't look at these numbers and wonder why we weren't good the last couple years.  Now....hopefully the young :FourStar: talent sticks around and is developed into a really good team with a winning attitude that beats the lesser talented teams on the schedule.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

They appear to be using the 247 Roster Talent Composite.

Which goes like this:

Offense:

SR - MFarniok

JR - Martinez, Martin, Manning

SO - WRobinson, Jurgens

FR - Corcoran, Betts, Benhart, Fleming, McCaffrey, Smothers, Morrison, Miller

Defense:

SR - Dismuke

JR - Tannor, Green

SO - Joseph, Wildeman

FR - Henrich, Pola-Gates, TRobinson

• Plus1 2