Ohio State Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, jaws said:

Statements like this make me laugh. Its like OSU could roll out some random coach and they would win the B1G.  If it is so easy to coach talent, places like Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, and USC wouldn't be in the state they are in. 

That's a fair point.  But they still pretty much could.  Doing a quick roster scan with rankings, Texas has 5 - 5*, A&M has 4 - 5*, Auburn has 2 - 5*, USC has 5 - 5*.  I know those were just some examples you were throwing out but the point still stands that Ohio State is head and shoulders above pretty much everyone besides Bama when it comes to recruiting rankings.  And actually, they have Bama beat in number of 5*'s.  Bama has 12. 

This isn't to say Day isn't a good coach bc he very well could be but I really don't think it takes a whole lot of coaching acumen when you are that loaded.  

16 minutes ago, jaws said:

Statements like this make me laugh. Its like OSU could roll out some random coach and they would win the B1G.  If it is so easy to coach talent, places like Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, and USC wouldn't be in the state they are in. 

I get why you’re saying, but there are instances like Larry Coker or Gene Chizik inheriting loaded teams and then sputtering. 

Not saying that Day will be lumped in with those guys but wondering if he’d have the same success somewhere else is a fair question. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Fru said:

I get why you’re saying, but there are instances like Larry Coker or Gene Chizik inheriting loaded teams and then sputtering. 

Not saying that Day will be lumped in with those guys but wondering if he’d have the same success somewhere else is a fair question. 

If Ryan Day is a coach that inherited talent that masks coaching flaws, year three is when you will really see the wheels fall off. Year two you may get some cracks, but things will move along as scheduled. 

I think the jury is still out on Ryan Day, so we'll see. I mean, look at how many people were willing to anoint Herman or Riley at Texas and Oklahoma, respectively, as the next up-and-coming coaching talents, and we've seen they may not possess the necessary acumen just yet to lead a big time program. 

I think it's also noteworthy to point out how much the position coaches & coordinators matter at the college level. These kids are technically still kind of learning to play the game, even at this level.

No doubt Ohio State has a great supporting staff.

Frost of course let a couple coaches go last year because he didn't feel we were up to snuff at a couple coaching spots. Here's to hoping Dawson & Lubick make a positive impact in 2020.

• Plus1 3

You know they'll ask Frost in the next presser whether Manning is on the travel roster. This is honestly one of the biggest things I'm looking for, not so much for Saturday's contest but just as an indicator of whether he'll be contributing this year.

Can't overstate how bad we need this guy. My guess is Frost probably won't answer the question directly and we'll just have to watch for him during the game.

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

That's a fair point.  But they still pretty much could.  Doing a quick roster scan with rankings, Texas has 5 - 5*, A&M has 4 - 5*, Auburn has 2 - 5*, USC has 5 - 5*.  I know those were just some examples you were throwing out but the point still stands that Ohio State is head and shoulders above pretty much everyone besides Bama when it comes to recruiting rankings.  And actually, they have Bama beat in number of 5*'s.  Bama has 12. 

This isn't to say Day isn't a good coach bc he very well could be but I really don't think it takes a whole lot of coaching acumen when you are that loaded.  

I think it is more about finding the right person for the job. You could have a coach with the highest coaching acumen in the world, but if they can't handle coaching at a place like Ohio State, they won't last long. The trick is finding a great coach that can handle the pressure of working at a place like OSU.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, jaws said:

Ryan Day is good.

But Ryan Held's porkchops would go undefeated at Auburn and USC.  Those sideburns are winners.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, jaws said:

I think it is more about finding the right person for the job. You could have a coach with the highest coaching acumen in the world, but if they can't handle coaching at a place like Ohio State, they won't last long. The trick is finding a great coach that can handle the pressure of working at a place like OSU.

I would agree.  Managing a roster full of 4 and 5 star kids can present it's own set of challenges.  Every kid with that rating expects to be on the field, right away.  Keeping their egos in check and their name out of the transfer portal while they develop is probably extremely challenging in today's college football world.  

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Lincoln Riley has proven himself pretty well at OU so far.  He has averaged 12 wins a year since taking over and has led OU to the playoffs every year.   This year hasnt started off like they wanted but its still early. 

Or the wheels are coming off after 3 years.....

• Plus1 2