Jump to content

Ohio State Week Pressers


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statements like this make me laugh. Its like OSU could roll out some random coach and they would win the B1G.  If it is so easy to coach talent, places like Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, and USC would

Gotta say, getting pretty amped to send my dad, bro and buddy a 1st season "GBR!!!" text Saturday morning 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jaws said:

 

Statements like this make me laugh. Its like OSU could roll out some random coach and they would win the B1G.  If it is so easy to coach talent, places like Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, and USC wouldn't be in the state they are in. 

That's a fair point.  But they still pretty much could.  Doing a quick roster scan with rankings, Texas has 5 - 5*, A&M has 4 - 5*, Auburn has 2 - 5*, USC has 5 - 5*.  I know those were just some examples you were throwing out but the point still stands that Ohio State is head and shoulders above pretty much everyone besides Bama when it comes to recruiting rankings.  And actually, they have Bama beat in number of 5*'s.  Bama has 12. 

 

This isn't to say Day isn't a good coach bc he very well could be but I really don't think it takes a whole lot of coaching acumen when you are that loaded.  

Link to post
15 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

Statements like this make me laugh. Its like OSU could roll out some random coach and they would win the B1G.  If it is so easy to coach talent, places like Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, and USC wouldn't be in the state they are in. 

John Cooper agrees with that statement.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
16 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

Statements like this make me laugh. Its like OSU could roll out some random coach and they would win the B1G.  If it is so easy to coach talent, places like Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, and USC wouldn't be in the state they are in. 


I get why you’re saying, but there are instances like Larry Coker or Gene Chizik inheriting loaded teams and then sputtering. 

 

Not saying that Day will be lumped in with those guys but wondering if he’d have the same success somewhere else is a fair question. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
9 minutes ago, Fru said:


I get why you’re saying, but there are instances like Larry Coker or Gene Chizik inheriting loaded teams and then sputtering. 

 

Not saying that Day will be lumped in with those guys but wondering if he’d have the same success somewhere else is a fair question. 

 

If Ryan Day is a coach that inherited talent that masks coaching flaws, year three is when you will really see the wheels fall off. Year two you may get some cracks, but things will move along as scheduled. 

 

I think the jury is still out on Ryan Day, so we'll see. I mean, look at how many people were willing to anoint Herman or Riley at Texas and Oklahoma, respectively, as the next up-and-coming coaching talents, and we've seen they may not possess the necessary acumen just yet to lead a big time program. 

Link to post

Lincoln Riley has proven himself pretty well at OU so far.  He has averaged 12 wins a year since taking over and has led OU to the playoffs every year.   This year hasnt started off like they wanted but its still early. 

 

 

Link to post

I think it's also noteworthy to point out how much the position coaches & coordinators matter at the college level. These kids are technically still kind of learning to play the game, even at this level.

 

No doubt Ohio State has a great supporting staff.

 

Frost of course let a couple coaches go last year because he didn't feel we were up to snuff at a couple coaching spots. Here's to hoping Dawson & Lubick make a positive impact in 2020.

  • Plus1 3
Link to post

You know they'll ask Frost in the next presser whether Manning is on the travel roster. This is honestly one of the biggest things I'm looking for, not so much for Saturday's contest but just as an indicator of whether he'll be contributing this year.

 

Can't overstate how bad we need this guy. My guess is Frost probably won't answer the question directly and we'll just have to watch for him during the game.

  • Plus1 2
Link to post
41 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

That's a fair point.  But they still pretty much could.  Doing a quick roster scan with rankings, Texas has 5 - 5*, A&M has 4 - 5*, Auburn has 2 - 5*, USC has 5 - 5*.  I know those were just some examples you were throwing out but the point still stands that Ohio State is head and shoulders above pretty much everyone besides Bama when it comes to recruiting rankings.  And actually, they have Bama beat in number of 5*'s.  Bama has 12. 

 

This isn't to say Day isn't a good coach bc he very well could be but I really don't think it takes a whole lot of coaching acumen when you are that loaded.  

 

I think it is more about finding the right person for the job. You could have a coach with the highest coaching acumen in the world, but if they can't handle coaching at a place like Ohio State, they won't last long. The trick is finding a great coach that can handle the pressure of working at a place like OSU.

 

  • Plus1 3
Link to post
1 hour ago, jaws said:

 

Statements like this make me laugh. Its like OSU could roll out some random coach and they would win the B1G.  If it is so easy to coach talent, places like Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, and USC wouldn't be in the state they are in. 

 

Ryan Day is good.

 

But Ryan Held's porkchops would go undefeated at Auburn and USC.  Those sideburns are winners.

  • Plus1 2
Link to post
17 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

I think it is more about finding the right person for the job. You could have a coach with the highest coaching acumen in the world, but if they can't handle coaching at a place like Ohio State, they won't last long. The trick is finding a great coach that can handle the pressure of working at a place like OSU.

 

I would agree.  Managing a roster full of 4 and 5 star kids can present it's own set of challenges.  Every kid with that rating expects to be on the field, right away.  Keeping their egos in check and their name out of the transfer portal while they develop is probably extremely challenging in today's college football world.  

Link to post
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

Lincoln Riley has proven himself pretty well at OU so far.  He has averaged 12 wins a year since taking over and has led OU to the playoffs every year.   This year hasnt started off like they wanted but its still early. 

 

 

Or the wheels are coming off after 3 years.....

  • Plus1 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




















×
×
  • Create New...