Ohio State Week Pressers

Mavric

12 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Have you been watching the games. If you want to say dud is too harsh because he is a freshman thats fine but compared to how everyone else has looked in that system he has not looked great vs 4 defenses that have all been exploited at some point this year. 

Also @Mavric their defense has looked bad every year but that didnt stop them from going to the playoffs. 

I have.  He has made some rookie mistakes with the ball a few times.  "everyone else" in that system over the last three years was an experienced senior QB.  He is keeping pace as a Freshman!  The kid is anything but a dud.

2020 - Rattler    FR    71.3%    297 yards per game avg.    3.25 TD per game avg/

2019 - Hurts      SR    69.7%    275 yards per game avg.    2.28 TD per game avg.

2018 - Murray    SR    69%       311 yards per game avg.    3 TD per game avg.

2017 - Mayfield SR    70.5%    330 yards per game avg.    3 TD per game avg.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From what I've seen they are expecting him out longer than that.

From what everyone has seen they also expected manning to be out for the season, cerni gone for the year, Flemming gone, etc. I believe nobody now.  Not that you aren’t pretty reliable, Mav. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have.  He has made some rookie mistakes with the ball a few times.  "everyone else" in that system over the last three years was an experienced senior QB.  He is keeping pace as a Freshman!  The kid is anything but a dud.

2020 - Rattler    FR    71.3%    297 yards per game avg.    3.25 TD per game avg/

2019 - Hurts      SR    69.7%    275 yards per game avg.    2.28 TD per game avg.

2 of those guys ended up winning the hypesman and the 3rd guy was a finalist.  Riley is from the Mike Leach coaching tree and the one thing he does well is coaching QBs.  I think before it's said and done,  Rattler will hold a lot of QB records at OU. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Decked said:

From what everyone has seen they also expected manning to be out for the season, cerni gone for the year, Flemming gone, etc. I believe nobody now.  Not that you aren’t pretty reliable, Mav. 

I mean ... it seems reasonable to differentiate between random rumors on the internet and media guys who are actually taking to people inside the program.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... it seems reasonable to differentiate between random rumors on the internet and media guys who are actually taking to people inside the program.

We’ll see but it was a lot of guys plugged in pushing the Manning posts 

I hesitate to post this because it is pure speculation. But I wonder if Manning got a positive COVID test but maybe has no real symptoms.

A big part of me thinks that if he doesn't travel to Ohio State it's a bad sign for him playing any other games...but if the COVID-positive thing were actually the case then he would definitely be playing many other games, but probably not this one.

56 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Rattler has 5 INT in 4 games....you failed to mention that. He was on QB1 and I wasn't a big fan. Good player just no where near previous players there IMO 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I hesitate to post this because it is pure speculation. But I wonder if Manning got a positive COVID test but maybe has no real symptoms.

A big part of me thinks that if he doesn't travel to Ohio State it's a bad sign for him playing any other games...but if the COVID-positive thing were actually the case then he would definitely be playing many other games, but probably not this one.

I could see that - as I understand it there's the 10-day quarantine with no contact, and the rest of the 21 days they can start practicing but not full go until the end of that timeframe. So could explain some of the "he practiced every day this week" to "oh wait he was at practice every day this week" stuff. And the "he's not with the team" stuff initially, if he was quarantining. I think the rumors started early enough that he'd be out of the 21 day window though? Interesting though, that could be the case. And then the call for Saturday wouldn't be so much whether he is able to play under the restrictions, but whether he's been able to practice full speed enough to feel good about him playing.

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Rattler has 5 INT in 4 games....you failed to mention that. He was on QB1 and I wasn't a big fan. Good player just no where near previous players there IMO 

Compare the other 3 previous players FR seasons...  He is looking as good or better than the previous players imo.

Freshman seasons for the above-

Hurts - 382 attempts        62.8% completion rate     23 TD to 9 INT  2780 yards  (15 games)

Murray -  121 attempts     59.5% completion rate     5 TD to 7 INT   686 yards  (8 games)

Mayfield - 340 attempts   64.1% completion rate     12 TD to 9 INT  2315 yards  (8 games)

• Plus1 1

Also been looking through some of their press conference comments - interesting ones to me are:

• Wan'Dale comes up the most - I think everyone defensively mentioned him. Obviously you have to find ways to get him the ball, but honestly his biggest role in any kind of unlikely upset scenario might be as a decoy. Everyone talks about Rondale Moore's role in that upset, but it seems like they are determined to not have any player do that again so I don't think our blueprint can be the same.
  • They prepared for both Martinez and McCaffrey at QB
  • One of their OL mentioned the challenge of preparing without knowing who will be playing on our DL. I imagine that's also a challenge for our WRs, RBs behind Mills, and OLBs. Plus any other random surprise starters/rotation guys. If you wanna know why we don't have a set depth chart this week, that's why.
  • Really surprised at how much they talk up their LBs, I'm either weighing the 2018 game way too heavily against them or it's all coach speak. Probably the former.
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Wan'Dale comes up the most - I think everyone defensively mentioned him. Obviously you have to find ways to get him the ball, but honestly his biggest role in any kind of unlikely upset scenario might be as a decoy. Everyone talks about Rondale Moore's role in that upset, but it seems like they are determined to not have any player do that again so I don't think our blueprint can be the same.

Nice write-up. Basically, this is why we really need the Stanley Morgan guy (Omar Manning) out there. In 2018, JD got free because of the attention Stan got, etc., etc.

With a healthy and motivated Omar Manning out there I really think we beat Iowa this year, and probably even Minnesota.

• Plus1 3
40 minutes ago, Undone said:

Nice write-up. Basically, this is why we really need the Stanley Morgan guy (Omar Manning) out there. In 2018, JD got free because of the attention Stan got, etc., etc.

With a healthy and motivated Omar Manning out there I really think we beat Iowa this year, and probably even Minnesota.

I have a difficult time hanging our hopes on a guy we haven't seen in a Husker Jersey yet.  I would be in 100% agreement that we need another couple productive receivers on the field though to take attention off of WR.   

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have a difficult time hanging our hopes on a guy we haven't seen in a Husker Jersey yet.

Sure.  But I have an easier time hanging my hopes on him as a big JUCO transfer rated as a four star than an undersized two star walk-on and a bunch of freshmen that have never seen a single snap in a college football game.

• Plus1 4