Next Presidential Debate 10/22

Just now, teachercd said:

I can't see how Trump wins.  Joe has been just fine during the debates.  I can't see why people that were on the fence would all of a sudden pick Trump or Biden

Weirdly, in that post-debate polling link I posted a bit ago, "winners" of debates are not indicative of winners of elections.

While the polls seem to indicate Biden "won" both debates, we really can't take much out of that.

Just now, knapplc said:

Weirdly, in that post-debate polling link I posted a bit ago, "winners" of debates are not indicative of winners of elections.

While the polls seem to indicate Biden "won" both debates, we really can't take much out of that.

Yeah, that is true.  

Vegas odds are so in favor of Joe.  

I think I only know one person that voted for Trump last time that is for sure voting for him this time, now I don't know a ton of people but still.  I don't know, I sort of even get the vibe that Trump knows he is not going to win.

Who knows, I would be shocked though.  But then I was shocked in 2016.  I did not think that would be close at all.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, that is true.  

Vegas odds are so in favor of Joe.  

I think I only know one person that voted for Trump last time that is for sure voting for him this time, now I don't know a ton of people but still.  I don't know, I sort of even get the vibe that Trump knows he is not going to win.

Who knows, I would be shocked though.  But then I was shocked in 2016.  I did not think that would be close at all.

I was shocked he won, but I wasn't surprised it was close. Hillary was such an awful candidate. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I was shocked he won, but I wasn't surprised it was close. Hillary was such an awful candidate. 

That is true!  But Joe is not unlikeable like she was/is, I don't think he turns people off in the record setting fashion that she did.  He seems like a pretty normal average Joe (See what I did there).

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I don't think trump had any intentions to answer specific questions-

This is what he has to do because he has no clue on actual issues and can't talk specifics.  A good example is talking about healthcare.  He has no plan.  He doesn't know or really understand the issues around it.  He only knows that his base wants him to talk about how bad the ACA is.  ACA is bad.....who cares what Trump's plan is?

Just got done listening to Michael Smerconish interview Todd Graham, billed as "America's Debate Coach" on his SiriusXM radio show.

Graham gave Biden a C+ for last night and Trump an F.

He said Trump was much improved from the first debate (with number grades he'd go from something like 25% in the first one to 50-55% in this one) but he still gave him an F.

His rationale is that Trump actually answered 0 of the 6 questions he was asked by the moderator because he was so busy pivoting to attacking Biden and when he did try to answer, he wasn't even close to telling the truth. Biden actually gave substantive answers on the issues even if he tripped himself up at times.

Debates don't change many minds but it's clear Trump is who he always has been: incompetent.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

She's been a conservative journalist her entire career. She wrote speeches for Reagan, worked on both Bush's campaigns, and has routinely predicted GOP winners in elections. 

I'd take what she says with a few grains of salt.

Yes, I  know who she is.  She is not a Trump fan to add to what you note.  She has editorialized against Trump many times.  I take her words more as a warning that there is a path for Trump so everyone should get out and vote.

I thought the tone throughout was much better, but both of them dodged any substantive questions or provided word salad answers.

However, based on the final question alone, Biden won the debate. His answer to the moderator's final question was outstanding, and Trump figuratively spit up on himself during his reply.  

• Plus1 1

3 reasons Trump lost the debate last night

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/10/who-won-final-presidential-debate-2020.html

1) Trump is too immersed in the Fox News Cinematic Universe to communicate clearly with people who live outside of it.

2) Trump claimed ownership of some of the GOP’s least popular policies for no reason.

3) The fact that Trump lacks anything resembling human empathy led him to defend his administration orphaning 545 immigrant children — by emphasizing how clean their facilities were on the day of a photo op.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/23/2020 at 8:06 AM, DevoHusker said:

Not trying to poke, but can you cite where you get "over 70%"?

I can see if it is qualified as "portions" of the GND, or "of registered Dems",  but I find it hard to believe that figure on the whole. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-green-new-deal-support-among-americans-poll-2019-2%3famp

80%

https://www.dataforprogress.org/the-green-new-deal-is-popular

59% still a majority

https://www.google.com/amp/s/grist.org/article/poll-the-green-new-deal-is-as-popular-as-legalizing-weed/amp/

63% majority

So id say around 60-70% of the country largely agrees that something needs to be done regarding climate change. Now remember, the green new deal is not a bill, it is a blue print so everyone might not agree with everything in it, but they agree something needs to be done. About 80% of democrats are for it, 55-65 of independents and 20-25% of republicans. Majority of country in independent so when I look at polling I care more about the independent number than republican or democrat. 

Anyway you slice it though, Biden saying what he said about oil will not hurt him because the majority of the people he needs to get agree with the green new deal in principle. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-green-new-deal-support-among-americans-poll-2019-2%3famp

80%

https://www.dataforprogress.org/the-green-new-deal-is-popular

59% still a majority

https://www.google.com/amp/s/grist.org/article/poll-the-green-new-deal-is-as-popular-as-legalizing-weed/amp/

63% majority

So id say around 60-70% of the country largely agrees that something needs to be done regarding climate change. Now remember, the green new deal is not a bill, it is a blue print so everyone might not agree with everything in it, but they agree something needs to be done. About 80% of democrats are for it, 55-65 of independents and 20-25% of republicans. Majority of country in independent so when I look at polling I care more about the independent number than republican or democrat. 

Anyway you slice it though, Biden saying what he said about oil will not hurt him because the majority of the people he needs to get agree with the green new deal in principle. 

Thanks!