What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

I said in the presser thread we could lose by 28 and still have all our goals ahead of us, still feel the same way. I love reacting to Husker games, but this is like losing to Nebraska in the 90s, take our loss and move on, just like 125 other teams would do against OSU.

Next week is our measuring stick. Can’t let Wisconsin have their way with us with a mediocre rushing O and freshman QB. I have high expectations for next week and won’t lower them just because we got licked by an elite team. 

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Let Nebraska get punched in the face and they hold up like a wet paper bag.   Probably an over reaction but there should be little faith this team isnt a 3 win team this year and a .400 .500 with the original schedule.   

3 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

I mean if we are being honest this guy isn't wrong. This team isn't any better. And they are going to win 2 games max.

Just what we needed. More bad takes. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dspanther05 said:

I have better things to do then create multiple accounts to troll. I mean this wasn't a one possession game. It was another drubbing from a top 25 team. The team doesn't win more than two games.

You're discounting the stockpile of talent on OSU if you truly think this. We won't face another team remotely like this the rest of the year.

1. Empty stadiums with fake fan noise is not football.  
2.  Targeting fowls are pure CYA crap. Many are questionable when you consider both the defender and carrier may be at full speed, attempting to evade the tackle, can’t control their bodies when their center of gravity is well beyond their feet, intimidation is part of the game, many will duck their head before a hit as a reflex action, and helmets and pads are worn for a purpose.

Why is a tackler hitting with his crown called targeting but a runner leading with his crown not targeting- the injury potential is the same.

3.  I have never liked our three man line defense and continue to dislike it now.  Huskers need another Defensive Coordinator.  Did not do well with pass rush and our DBs are not aggressive.

4.  The Huskers are headed for another losing season.  Frost should be worried.

5.  I think our offense is weak.  They can’t eat up the clock controlling the ball for long drives and end up with a TD. 
6. Their scouts and film study were much more effective than ours.  Saw one play where our QB did some faking feinting left and the went right- our lead blockers went right at the snap with the defenders following our blockers.  The defenders had us outnumbered at the LOS before our ball carrier got there.

7. Thought the offensive line was good for runs between the tackles but our blocking schemes don’t seem to ever take out the linebackers.

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Nah. I can see kneeling down, but he had his backups in the game and they need reps.

Pretty sure Nebraska had some backups in, too.

I have zero problems with that TD.

I felt the same way. I think I would have taken a knee if I were coach but he had young guys in. Players that need to put good on film to earn their spots in future years. If we don't like it stop someone.

• Plus1 1

Here are my takes on this game:

(1) despite the final score, I do feel that this team has improved tremendously since last year

(2) we continue to commit way too many fouls that are really costly. In three occasions, the penalties killed promising drives and in many other occasions they resulted in free yards for Ohio st. We have been one of the most heavily penalized teams in the Big Ten

(3) the zebras were unfair pieces of s#$t. When the main referee gets caught on camera saying “wow” repeatedly on a perfectly legal hit, you know he has already made up his mind that he is an Ohio st fan. However, this is not new, the referees in the BIG have not been fair to us since joining so by now we need to learn to play smart and not give them reasons to hurt us.

(4) our defense had moments of brilliance sacking the QB and causing second and very long but only to let Ohio st get a first down after that. They need to take advantage of their success.

(5) Martinez is looking much better and does seem that the competition has helped him get better. I do like the idea of playing both QBs and keeping them involved. This will give us the edge in many games

(6) the team attitude seems right and they look like they are closer as a team than last year

(7) based on what I saw, I strongly believe that we have a very good chance to finish 5-3 and a decent shot at 6-2, which will be a great improvement from last year given our tough schedule.

(8) for the first time in a very long time, I feel we are on the right track

(9) the targeting fouls against us were complete and utter BS.

• Plus1 5

13 minutes ago, jaws said:

Targeting is ruining the game. Kicking kids out of a game for a borderline call is stupid and it is changing the outcome of some games as well as the following game.

Nebraska was a lot more physical this year. They need to be able to throw the ball down the field.

If Ohio State can't find a RB that can run the ball, they aren't going to win a NC. The freshman WRs are going to be very good. 

They have like fifty receivers, can they just give us two?