What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I would love to see a game against a Top 10 team where Nebraska does the following:

1) not turn the ball over 

2) 5 or less penalties

3) Stop the opposing team 90% of the time when defending a 3rd and plus 10 yards.

Nebraska does those three SIMPLE things and Nebraska will stop losing games by over 30 points every year. 

until then, well I think we all know what will continue to happen. 

Fantastic post. Shouldn’t be hard things to correct but they show up every time we find ourselves in these games 

1 hour ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I'm very concerned about the DB's. That kind of soft coverage allowed Ohio State to pick Nebraska apart. Roll left. Wide open receiver. Roll right. Wide open receiver. Drop back. Wide open receiver. Mertz threw 17 straight completions last night and Nebraska plays him next week with 2 less DB's for at least part of it. So that should be fun.  

Speed kills and OSU has it - wisky not so much

1 minute ago, GBRFAN said:

Speed kills and OSU has it - wisky not so much

I get that, but playing 12 yards off and immediately back peddling, at that point it’s just pitch and catch.   Maybe worth trying for a half or so and see if Fields is on target or line is getting a rush.  But when a QB is 14-15, strategy needs to be changed.   Sell out more on Blitzes and make him throw over the top under pressure to score.  
The coverage Nebraska put out today was just basically saying “we know you are going to score, just do it a little slower”.   That’s not good enough in my mind. 

• Plus1 6
32 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m encouraged after the game to be honest.

O line blocked well.  The D Line didn’t get pushed around.  Both sides showed they control the line of scrimmage at times.  The Defense tackled well. 

That is a sneaky good observation. The defense tackled well, and how often have we said that ?

• Plus1 5

It was nice to see AM hit the TE over the middle early in the game for 8-10 yrs gains.  

It was nice to see AM hit the TE over the middle early in the game for 8-10 yrs gains.  

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I learned that if I see another fair catch on a kickoff, when you need a spark as an underdog, I'll blow lao khao and somtom all over my tv

I’ll take the fair catch all day.  The spark they needed was a few big plays on D and  stop the penalties on both sides of the ball.  

some were out of their control, but a delay of game coming off a break....really?

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You OK?

• Haha 3

Our strength on O is the running game.  Our OL catch said the OL is best N-S, not E-W.

Feed Mills 12-15 times per game and win.

Throw Betts/Brown/Hickman to the wolves next week.  

DL held up incredibly well.  Fields is hard to stop in the open field.  Frost and Lubbick take note.

DB's.......Fish-Please tell Chin to play press coverage.  Or play the guys you recruited to play more physical at the LOS

I still have no idea what Frost wants to establish as our identity.  None.  I still see no power with Oregon speed.  How about use a system for the guys you have....

I am a run the damn ball guy. With limited WR play, I'd use 2 TE sets and and HB.  Pound the ball down their throats and then PA pass.....

Officiating was horrible at best.  Even Urbs commented after the game that Williams got a bad call.  Said he hopes B1G reviews and overturns...

We (really few teams) can win with 2 TO's, two ejections and limited pressure.  As Urbs said, pass defense is 80% pressure.  Chin needs to dial it up.  I'd throw JoJo down in the dirt like Super D in 2003 and see what he can do.  See QB get QB.

I think we are capable of going 6-1 down the stretch.  Unsure who we play game 9.  Team just needs to get out of its way. At times I felt Frost was playing not to get embarrassed.

At least we have a kicker.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

They may have tackled well but they didnt cover a soul..   

That’s a combination of things in my opinion.

There wasn’t a lot of pressure that forced fields to move around.  They had several routes that were like pics/rubs.  I saw a few times were the DBs seemed to be in zone and they lost guys in between zones.  There were a few times where there were post like routes and the DB either had no help or the help was late.