What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

After watching today’s game and other games today . We are on the same level as Iowa and Purdue with Ohio St having way to many skill players for us to match up with . I was impressed with the line play on both sides we didn’t get destroyed like last year. I think against rest of Big 10 we’ll be fine Ohio St. has to many Athletes . 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I learned I'm not defending Chin this year. No pass rush and what was that soft coverage? Every pass was caught with 5 yards of cushion. DL has some potential and we did well against the run. 

I don't have any major desire to defend Chinander. But I do think the hard part is that as a fan we don't ever know exactly why a coach chooses to do something - we just see the result of what happens on the field.

Our corners aren't especially talented. So I feel like they would have most likely given up a lot of huge plays had the coverage not been so soft. With that said though, how many times can you watch the other team's QB throw 15 yard dime after 15 yard dime before you change it up?

Agree with you on the defensive line and our run game. Erik seems to be getting the run game defense figured out. But he just doesn't like consistently dialing up creative blitzes and there are no Randy Gregory's on this team.

That said, I think this'll be another season where the games we lose that we thought we should have won will fall on the offense's shoulders.

7 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

This game showed how much we missed the dynamic play of JD Spielman. We needed a spark at some instances of this game and not many playmakers. However, I really feel that we will get better as the season progresses.

Yep. The people who thought it was no big deal that he left were wrong.

Watching Warner let a TD pass just fly through his fingers was rough.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

This game showed how much we missed the dynamic play of JD Spielman. We needed a spark at some instances of this game and not many playmakers. However, I really feel that we will get better as the season progresses.

THANK YOU!! People on this board talked waaaaayyy too much nonsense about a kid that was about to break records.

Some even tried to say he wouldn’t have started if he stayed. Lol! 

we had a false start by someone named Lebowski or something. 

It seems like we can run the ball very well but our passing threat was nonexistent today. I am hoping that this was because of Ohio st. Talented players and not just a weakness on our part. However, I still say that as good as Cade Warner is, he is not better than JD Speilman. We need some talent at receiver position.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

so much this!  Its not like we are dealing with a bunch of walk-ons at that position, there are four freekn four star receivers from last years class.  How can Ohio State have freshman receivers making plays, and we just cant seem to get anyone close to Stanley Morgan.  I know, I know I sound like a broken record.

We started Falck, Warner and Wandle at WR, correct? That’s an absolute gift to a DC. Falck and Warner don’t stretch the defense enough for Wandale to be effective. A deep threat would open up Wandale and our running game so much - god damn there was a reason we were all pumped for Omar. 

• Plus1 3
42 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Setting the bar high for him next week. Cannot let a young QB, mediocre run game and less talented team abuse you. We should be expecting to handle them on defense next week, it is year 3 after all. 

I take it you did not watch Mertz and Wisconsin last night. The D put on the field today will not get the job done against him, or really anybody. Sure tOSU is great and Illinois was poor but if our DBs play as soft as Chins seems to want them to play it might be another record setting outing for the young QB.

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I take it you did not watch Mertz and Wisconsin last night. The D put on the field today will not get the job done against him, or really anybody. Sure tOSU is great and Illinois was poor but if our DBs play as soft as Chins seems to want them to play it might be another record setting outing for the young QB.

Comes a time as a DC, you trust your DB's to man up and press or find others who can.......We can't continue with a 12 yard cushion on 3rd and 6.......

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Oh I did, still not gonna let it lower the bar. If we can’t beat Wisconsin this year, we should just sign up to be their b!^@h for the next decade. Mertz looked good but he shouldn’t look like fields and his field of 5 star studs. Gonna keep my expectations high. 

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Oh I did, still not gonna let it lower the bar. If we can’t beat Wisconsin this year, we should just sign up to be their b!^@h for the next decade. Mertz looked good but he shouldn’t look like fields and his field of 5 star studs. Gonna keep my expectations high. 

We beat Wisky.  Frost and Lubbick finally realize pounding the rock works.  We go with different receovers next week and see more multiple TE formations and more I formation.

D-Chin actually gets pressure repeatedly.

If defensive backs aren't allowed to knocked the ball loose after a receiver catches it then playing your dbs 10 yards off the line and letting them catch it is not going to make stops. 

The young scholarship receivers must be revolving doors when it comes to blocking if those walkons are even making a travel roster.

Also i know The players voted on who the captains are but Farniok and Warner have to make plays if they keep their captain status. 

Just a quick PSA: We dont' play a defensive scheme where the linemen will ever get that many sacks. That's supposed to mainly fall on the linebackers.

So I'm not ready to say that "our defensive line sucks" because I saw some pretty strong Huskers going up against three offensive linemen that will most likely have NFL contracts next season. I think Tuioti is already developing Robinson but also he shows how much of a difference getting good talent makes.

Anyway...I think Mills lacks quickness & the ability to shake a guy in the backfield to get free. In a world where Ronald Thompkins didn't have prior knee issues I would definitely be predicting that he'll be a star. Currently I still feel that way except there's a big asterisk of saying *if his knees hold up. I'm pretty confident nevertheless that he's crucial to success this year.

One big thing I noticed: We executed those short swing passes really well today. Frost called them at the right times and guys actually blocked well so that the receiver could pick up a few yards. That was encouraging.

• Plus1 5