What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

37 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

My favorite thing about Chinander is when our safety is 20 yards off the ball on a 4th and 5. I'm trying to upload screenshots but this board says they are too big of files?? interesting 

I remember that and was frustrated with that alignment, as well.  Playing devil's advocate, the LB's started off the LOS, and then blitzed (I know Honas blitzed), and then the safeties should be coming in behind them to take that space.  Benning had a tweet right after that play, where the OLB on that slot receiver needs to get a rub and knock the guy off his route/slow him down, which would allow the safeties more time to get to the space where the LB's were.

7 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Question: I haven’t watched the game yet on account I was coaching my daughter’s soccer team—is this game worth watching to get insight on the team? 

I ask because it sounds like from the chatter it’s more an insight to how s****y B1G officiating is and how Chinander (and possibly Martinez?) are coming up short yet again...

The first half is definitely worth watching there was some good. Second half the wheels came off a bit but not as bad as in the past. 

I don't think Martinez came up short. I don't get the hate on him. You can see him work his progression and no one is there for him. He ran well and his biggest mistake was a fumble while scrambling that was returned. 

8 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

Something to watch going forward:

Luke today - 172.4 - ~7th - 9th in the country

more data is needed*

Here's the thing though you have to compare Luke as the main QB and remove his gadget plays to really compare them. The last two drives of the game with LM at QB and AM off the field this is what they did. 

6 plays, 45 yards, LM fumble. 

3 plays, -3 yards, punt 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The first half is definitely worth watching there was some good. Second half the wheels came off a bit but not as bad as in the past. 

I don't think Martinez came up short. I don't get the hate on him. You can see him work his progression and no one is there for him. He ran well and his biggest mistake was a fumble while scrambling that was returned. 

Here's the thing though you have to compare Luke as the main QB and remove his gadget plays to really compare them. The last two drives of the game with LM at QB and AM off the field this is what they did. 

6 plays, 45 yards, LM fumble. 

3 plays, -3 yards, punt 

I didn't see enough bad things from Martinez, and enough good things from McCaffrey to warrant a change at starting QB.  I liked how McCaffrey was used in various places of the offense.  Yes, it's gimmicky, but it produces chunk plays.

What I want from Martinez is for him to accept that he doesn't need to make all the plays by himself.  If he learns to accept what the defense gives him, and not always go for the big play, he will be a better player.  Now, he did that for the most part against Ohio State, and then he had that back-breaking fumble in the 3rd quarter.  That play was there for a few yards, which would have been a good first down gain.  Instead, he tried to break it for a big play, and he coughed up the ball.

• Plus1 4

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I didn't see enough bad things from Martinez, and enough good things from McCaffrey to warrant a change at starting QB.  I liked how McCaffrey was used in various places of the offense.  Yes, it's gimmicky, but it produces chunk plays.

What I want from Martinez is for him to accept that he doesn't need to make all the plays by himself.  If he learns to accept what the defense gives him, and not always go for the big play, he will be a better player.  Now, he did that for the most part against Ohio State, and then he had that back-breaking fumble in the 3rd quarter.  That play was there for a few yards, which would have been a good first down gain.  Instead, he tried to break it for a big play, and he coughed up the ball.

I don't hate how Frost played the 2 QB system yesterday. Kinda reminded me of Leak/Tebow at Florida under Meyer. Leak = Martinez - steady, more starts under his belt. Tebow = Luke - Dynamic, type of guy that can lead the team in rushing any given week. That Florida team won the title, so not a perfect comparison, but it wouldn't shock me if Luke's season ended up looking like Tebows freshman season on paper. 

I learned this was the first game of the season and looked like it for both teams.

Defense looked pretty stout against the run.  LBs looked surprisingly decent against the run but slow on coverage.  Good hitting though.  Secondary has no speed and needs a dose of mental discipline 

My big question about the offense was where is this running game everyone keeps talking about?  QB draws and scrambles is not a running game.  Actual running backs carried the ball 14 times.   Combine that with a bunch of slow receivers and you have a pretty anemic looking offense.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't hate how Frost played the 2 QB system yesterday. Kinda reminded me of Leak/Tebow at Florida under Meyer. Leak = Martinez - steady, more starts under his belt. Tebow = Luke - Dynamic, type of guy that can lead the team in rushing any given week. That Florida team won the title, so not a perfect comparison, but it wouldn't shock me if Luke's season ended up looking like Tebows freshman season on paper. 

I like Luke as a change of pace guy, and his big play ability is great.  I get concerned because he is still slight of build, and wonder if he can withstand so many carries each week.  I agree with many of the media members in Omaha questioning the limited number of carries to Mills, and need to get Wandale a few more touches a game.  I honestly think that NU was showing some different things against Ohio State to show different things to Wisconsin and Northwestern and also keep some of the base stuff back for those 2 games.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

I learned this was the first game of the season and looked like it for both teams.

Defense looked pretty stout against the run.  LBs looked surprisingly decent against the run but slow on coverage.  Good hitting though.  Secondary has no speed and needs a dose of mental discipline 

My big question about the offense was where is this running game everyone keeps talking about?  QB draws and scrambles is not a running game.  Actual running backs carried the ball 14 times.   Combine that with a bunch of slow receivers and you have a pretty anemic looking offense.

QB designed runs are a big part of the offense, and is part of the running game.  You can't discount that.  Now, I would like a little less of relying on the QB run game, but outside of the fumbles, it's hard to argue against the success of the QB run game.  I do agree the RB's need to get the ball more and I think NU will move to those guys in the next 2 games.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Toe said:

@Mavric Helmet-to-helmet contact is not, and should not be, automatically considered targeting. You can just as easily say that the ball carrier lowered their head and led with their own crown and targeted the defender's head in tons of those cases, but the zebras basically always flag the defender.

If a defender came in like that on a player who was already down and vulnerable, that should be targeting, but that's clearly not the case here.

Of course, consistency of enforcement in cases like that is a whole separate issue...

I agree with you that's how the rule should be.  But that's not how the rule reads.

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

My big question about the offense was where is this running game everyone keeps talking about?  QB draws and scrambles is not a running game.  Actual running backs carried the ball 14 times.

We ran the ball for more yards against them yesterday than Wisconsin did in the B1G title game last year.   :dunno

• Plus1 7
3 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

My big question about the offense was where is this running game everyone keeps talking about?  QB draws and scrambles is not a running game.  Actual running backs carried the ball 14 times.

McCaffrey lined up at RB several times, so if you're not including any of his runs you're doing it wrong.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

My favorite thing about Chinander is when our safety is 20 yards off the ball on a 4th and 5. I'm trying to upload screenshots but this board says they are too big of files?? interesting 

4 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I can’t upload anything. Get the same message   I tried resizing but I guess it’s above my tech skills(what isn’t?)

Are you guys using the site's upload feature? That caps you out at a certain number of images, or a certain limit. Once you hit that, you can't upload anymore.

It's better to get an off-site host and just post links here. I use Imgur, and it's super easy to upload. Then you select the image(s) you want to use in your post, it generates the BB Code for sites like this, and you're good to go. No upload limits.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I guess rushing yards by QB’s don’t count,

according to Cy. 

He's probably just trolling us.   :)

I think against the Purdue's & Iowa's of our schedule our running game is going to look good and it'll open up those nice tight end passes downfield. I just kind of cringe at having to play Wisconsin right after this blowout loss.

• Plus1 2