What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

I would of liked to have seen them give Luke more of a chance to throw the ball. They still seemed somewhat hesitant to let him do so. If he really was that close to challenging Adrian for the job, shouldn't he be trusted enough to throw it around a little? 

Also, Casey Rogers. I heard his name mentioned very little throughout the lead up to the season, and he was very impressive yesterday. A bright future on the D-Line with him, and Ty Robinson.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

When you think about it, why waste the time to hand the ball off?   Add another blocking lineman, or two to the formation. 

QB could move down the field in a bubble of fatties. 

This is basically how Auburn and Cam Newton won the national championship in '10.

8 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

I think we’ve got two potentially great QBs in both McCaffery and Smothers. The rating doesn’t mean as much as people think. The development of a kid in the program is what matters. Both McCaffery and Smothers had higher star ratings than Lamar Jackson, for instance. In fact, Jackson was the 12th highest rated dual-threat QB in his graduating High School class. Only 2 of those players ended up having significant playing time as QB throughout College - Kyler Murray & Sam Darnold. Joe Burrow was also part of this class and ranked ahead of Lamar, but only one season of really play time as we know.

Russell Wilson was a 2 star, Manziel was a 3 star, and plenty of other examples like that.

We’re hearing great things about McCaffery developing, and after yesterday’s game (174.2 QB RTG) we know he can handle the job well. He needs more game reps. If he didn’t fumble, his rating would have been closer to 190. That’s elite.

Yep. And to that point Ohio State has recruited well but the odds of one of those kids being a number #2 draft pick are slim. 

22 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Also, Casey Rogers. I heard his name mentioned very little throughout the lead up to the season, and he was very impressive yesterday. A bright future on the D-Line with him, and Ty Robinson.

I re-watched the game today, and I did look closer at both Ty and Casey.  I am very impressed with what I saw, they are strong, long, quick and athletic.  Physically, they don't carry any bad weight, these guys are going to be really good.  Additionally, they were doing this against one of if not the best offensive lines in the county. 

Now we need to go recruit two rush ends.  I am looking for someone that is anywhere between or exactly like Gregory or Wistrom.  :)

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I would of liked to have seen them give Luke more of a chance to throw the ball. They still seemed somewhat hesitant to let him do so. If he really was that close to challenging Adrian for the job, shouldn't he be trusted enough to throw it around a little?

Gosh, it feels like there's something you can conclude from that, but for some reason I just can't quite put my finger on what it is...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Our pass rush was actually better than what I was expecting.  Tannor even got one.

And had we got that safety......

Tannor's sack was a great individual and team effort - I still have so much faith in that kid and I think he's really talented. 

Just one comment: Having a pass rush is more than just getting sacks, it's also pressuring the quarterback so he's not just standing there with a five foot bubble around him with five seconds to throw all the time. We didn't put very much pressure on Fields across the whole of the game really.

Not particularly concerning against a minimum of three future NFL offensive linemen in terms of where we're at with the rebuild...but not great, either.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Tannor's sack was a great individual and team effort - I still have so much faith in that kid and I think he's really talented. 

Just one comment: Having a pass rush is more than just getting sacks, it's also pressuring the quarterback so he's not just standing there with a five foot bubble around him with five seconds to throw all the time. We didn't put very much pressure on Fields across the whole of the game really.

Not particularly concerning against a minimum of three future NFL offensive linemen in terms of where we're at with the rebuild...but not great, either.

I'm not discounting 3 sacks and a near safety against Ohio State.  In any way.

We look better physically.  And we're young 

• Plus1 1