What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

4 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

ok - solid point.  Did anybody want or say that our QB would do or should do that? 

If we score 100 points a game it will be a long season for the other team..... if they score 100 points it will be long for us.  I thought typing that might make me fill better - but it didn't.  How about you?

Well, I guess if we score 100 on a team, but they win the rest of their games then it won’t be a long season for them.  If a team scores 100 on us and we win the rest of our games then it won’t be a long season IMO.  

other than that I have no idea what your trying to say and you probably don’t either. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Redux said:

Realistically this could've been a lot closer, but overall we played poorly down the stretch at QB and that killed us more than shoddy officials.

I learned we will probably go into halftime down 35-7 to Wisconsin without our secondary playing.

I feel like we didn't watch the same game...

• Plus1 3

I feel like people's perceptions would be a lot different if all the plays of the game were the same, except the first and second halves of the game were switched around. A lot of people (myself included) feel like we hung with OSU pretty well for most of the first half, like we had a legit chance for the first 27 minutes or so, before they pulled away in the second half. But I think a lot of us would have felt differently if it had been 28-3 at halftime, even if the final score and everything else about the game looked exactly the same.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Frost being "satisfied" with a 2-score deficit going into halftime set the tone for the entire 2nd half.  We were in it until Frost gave up.  I just hope it doesn't set the tone for the rest of the season.

NU gained 8 yards on the first play of the drive before halftime, but on the 2nd play Farniok had a holding penalty to create 2nd and 12 from the 23 yard line.  That was the 4th NU penalty in the final 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter. At that point, it wasn’t worth the risk to move the ball downfield. It was smart to regroup and move on to halftime. 

• Plus1 1

I think there are a few people who watched completely different games than I did.  Or you don't know how to actually watch football.  For one I will agree the DB's played too soft but that is most likely because that is what  they were told to do.  as the game went on there were a few times they were pressing.  For those who say we didn't get any pressure on Fields weren't paying attention.  What did we have 4 sacks?  There were a few that should have been but Fields is pretty good and got away.  Chins did blitz but you didn't notice because they were picked up pretty well.  OSU has a O-line with a bunch of guys who are going to be playing on Sundays.  So I feel pretty good about our chances of putting pressure on QB's who aren't as good as Fields playing behind a line that isn't as good as OSU's.  Hit the TE's on the seems early just like they have the last few years in the first game.  Won't expect it the rest of the season.  Think we are in good shape at RB.  Hard to believe we don't have someone to replace Bo Wilson.  Overall they are still sloppy on O with penalties and not being organized.  Defense still seems to lack in the big play department but overall played pretty well.  Next week should be a good game

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think there are a few people who watched completely different games than I did.  Or you don't know how to actually watch football.  For one I will agree the DB's played too soft but that is most likely because that is what  they were told to do.  as the game went on there were a few times they were pressing.  For those who say we didn't get any pressure on Fields weren't paying attention.  What did we have 4 sacks?  There were a few that should have been but Fields is pretty good and got away.  Chins did blitz but you didn't notice because they were picked up pretty well.  OSU has a O-line with a bunch of guys who are going to be playing on Sundays.  So I feel pretty good about our chances of putting pressure on QB's who aren't as good as Fields playing behind a line that isn't as good as OSU's.  Hit the TE's on the seems early just like they have the last few years in the first game.  Won't expect it the rest of the season.  Think we are in good shape at RB.  Hard to believe we don't have someone to replace Bo Wilson.  Overall they are still sloppy on O with penalties and not being organized.  Defense still seems to lack in the big play department but overall played pretty well.  Next week should be a good game

I agree overall but are you saying Ethan Piper didn't play well when he was in for Wilson?   The drive where NU tied the game up at 14 he looked really good to me.  I can see him taking Wilson's spot soon.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I agree overall but are you saying Ethan Piper didn't play well when he was in for Wilson?   The drive where NU tied the game up at 14 he looked really good to me.  I can see him taking Wilson's spot soon.  

To be honest I didn't even realize Piper played.  Just so happened when I noticed something bad it was Wilson lol.  I think the line actually played pretty well.  Farniok got schooled a couple of times but the DT will probably be one of the best he faces all year.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

To be honest I didn't even realize Piper played.  Just so happened when I noticed something bad it was Wilson lol.  I think the line actually played pretty well.  Farniok got schooled a couple of times but the DT will probably be one of the best he faces all year.

If you get the time watch the drive starting at about the 20:00 mark.  Piper replaces Wilson after the first couple of plays.  At the end of the drive NU had a sophomore center, freshman right tackle, and freshman left guard in and they were rolling OSU. 

https://youtu.be/JCP3Rck1AXE

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Luke looked jittery when he finally got in, could be just me.  Adrian was Adrian.  Line play didn't help.

Our secondary is gutted and Wisconsin has a terrifying pass game, it's a concern.

The secondary is a major concern for me. I wouldn't say QB was terrible, but there were some costly mistakes. Luke and Adrain both kept us in the game the entire first half though.

Wisconsin play Illinois. Not tOSU. We can game plan around the stupid suspensions. Just slow the first half down and let lose in the second.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
58 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The secondary is a major concern for me. I wouldn't say QB was terrible, but there were some costly mistakes. Luke and Adrain both kept us in the game the entire first half though.

Wisconsin play Illinois. Not tOSU. We can game plan around the stupid suspensions. Just slow the first half down and let lose in the second.

With a gutted and already suspect secondary, it could get ugly quick.  They looked pretty good first half, but 2nd half I just thought both looked confused and rattled

Illinois looked terrible,  but without everyone we might look that bad too.  I'm hoping. I even predicted this one as the yesr we finally get them.  Just not expecting it.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:45 PM, J-MAGIC said:

I seriously don't understand anyone looking at today's game negatively:

• Luke looked like a legit weapon with the ball in his hands and we appear to have a creative plan to use him in a variety of roles

My fear with this is they dont seem to be  very creative or able to get more then one guy involved. Last year they were so creative getting Wandel the ball they lost Speilman. This week they tried so hard to get Luke the ball you barley seen Wandel. 

Frost trying to be to cute with his play book. Just line up and play ball. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2