What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

8 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

My fear with this is they dont seem to be  very creative or able to get more then one guy involved. Last year they were so creative getting Wandel the ball they lost Speilman. This week they tried so hard to get Luke the ball you barley seen Wandel. 

Frost trying to be to cute with his play book. Just line up and play ball. 

I don't get that logic at all.  Yes, Wandale and Mills could have gotten a few more touches, but it's hard to argue against the results of the offense, especially in the first half.  Ohio State has enough talent on D where NU needs to find ways to get chunk plays on offense, and that's what NU did.  The "line up and play ball" is an old coaching trope when an offense doesn't look like what you want to see.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get that logic at all.  Yes, Wandale and Mills could have gotten a few more touches, but it's hard to argue against the results of the offense, especially in the first half.  Ohio State has enough talent on D where NU needs to find ways to get chunk plays on offense, and that's what NU did.  The "line up and play ball" is an old coaching trope when an offense doesn't look like what you want to see.

Trust me i would love to see us line up like Oregon or UCF and run and sling it every where. But we dont have and wont get those guys. Or at least enough of them to have that offence work in the B1G. 

Just now, BaytownHusker said:

Trust me i would love to see us line up like Oregon or UCF and run and sling it every where. But we dont have and wont get those guys. Or at least enough of them to have that offence work in the B1G. 

I am not saying NU has to be Oregon or UCF either, and I think NU will find a middle ground to what works in the Big Ten.  I think Frost was trying some new wrinkles with McCaffrey in the run game, and for a lot of the Ohio State game, the offense moved the ball well.  I agree that the RB's need to get more involved in the game, and I think they will going forward.    

14 hours ago, Undone said:

Not particularly concerning against a minimum of three future NFL offensive linemen in terms of where we're at with the rebuild...but not great, either.

Barring injury, all 5 of those dudes get drafted - in the first 3 rounds most likely. Davis will be an Outland finalist and Myers will be a Rimington finalist. That OL is better than Wisconsin's this year.

Things I liked:

• As many others have said, the DL held up pretty well and we tackled very well overall
  • OL was solid
  • Gameplan was weird, but reminds me of how we used to play Texas Tech. Make them take as long as possible to score (soft coverage, etc) and try and shorten the game. And it worked for almost a half, we're just not good enough to overcome dumb (and a couple questionable) penalties and turnovers.
  • Really no problem with the off coverage, those are easily the best 2 receivers we'll see until Bateman. I'll give them 12-15 yard catches to prevent multiple long TDs.

Things I didn't like:

• I really don't know why this staff is so hesitant to give guys chances early. Especially 3rd quarter once things got weird, we can't even try the young receivers?
  • I'm a bigger Chins defender than most, but the 20 yard deep safety on 3rd/4th and medium is bizarre. Especially when neither of them have the range to be a center fielder anyway. We also had Nelson jamming an outside receiver while Bootle played ~12 yards off on one 4th quarter play.
  • LBs tackled well but are not very fast. 
  • Receiver is a problem. I get that the gameplan was short passes and a lot of running, but our worst fears of the Warner/Falck/Liewer "hype" were realized. Nothing personal against those guys, I think they can all play. But it means 0 deep threats on the field.
  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

This game confirmed all the holes, as one would expect it to.

Here are a few:

CB's can't cover elite WR.

Wandale is only WR threat and all one needs to do is blanket him down to shut down the WR's.

We cannot not run from the RB position.  OL improved but can't generate 4+ yard runs consistently against good DL.

QB's still struggle with ball security.  How will we beat the beatable teams if we are our worst enemy.

The penalty issue continues to baffle me.  The bad calls on defense really killed us.  Somewhere/somehow refs have to see how hard we play and stop acting like we are giving Covid to everyone.  Personally, I thought the calls brought the phrase, "bunch of pansies".  

I wasn't discouraged by this game.  We can be competitive the rest of the way, yet, we have yet to prove we can play sound, traditional Husker football ... and we are leaps away from OSU in every way imaginable.   Doesn't mean we can't compete ... but we are at a talent level still a whole 1.5 levels down from them.

• Plus1 2

On 10/25/2020 at 12:15 AM, VectorVictor said:

Question: I haven’t watched the game yet on account I was coaching my daughter’s soccer team—is this game worth watching to get insight on the team? 

I ask because it sounds like from the chatter it’s more an insight to how s****y B1G officiating is and how Chinander (and possibly Martinez?) are coming up short yet again...

I recommend watching it. Watching any Husker football is a gift this year, and I'd enjoy as much of it as you can.

19 hours ago, krc1995 said:

bubble of fatties

Great phrase! Maybe I'll start a middle-aged dad band called "Bubble of Fatties"...

I feel like the score is distracting a lot of people. Ohio State is that great RB that only needs a tiny crease to be gone - and they got that tiny crease over and over against Nebraska, whether it was because of our play or questionable flags. And they took advantage of it like great teams do. And that's how we got the score we got.

But we played very well on the lines, against very talented guys who will play on Sundays. I think a lot of people are ignoring that.

The lines are the foundation of the team. We've been suspect on both lines for a long time, and we've gotten the results we've gotten over the past few years because of it.

I think both our lines are finally showing the promise of Year Three in the S&C program. 

We're going to give a lot of teams fits with that kind of O & D Line play. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, knapplc said:

I feel like the score is distracting a lot of people. Ohio State is that great RB that only needs a tiny crease to be gone - and they got that tiny crease over and over against Nebraska, whether it was because of our play or questionable flags. And they took advantage of it like great teams do. And that's how we got the score we got.

But we played very well on the lines, against very talented guys who will play on Sundays. I think a lot of people are ignoring that.

The lines are the foundation of the team. We've been suspect on both lines for a long time, and we've gotten the results we've gotten over the past few years because of it.

I think both our lines are finally showing the promise of Year Three in the S&C program. 

We're going to give a lot of teams fits with that kind of O & D Line play. 

Agreed - I was hesitant to do a re-watch, but it was better than I remembered. That late 2nd/early 3rd quarter really turned everything, and so many little things just bounced the wrong way. We need to be able to absorb those better, but against OSU it's really hard. I came out of the game thinking we had no offense in the second half, and we really did. Just shot ourselves in the foot a lot, and hopefully some of those were first game things. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

There are few guys from OSU that woke up Sunday and were reminded that they played the Huskers the day before.  I don't know how many times you could say that over the last couple of years.  

Exactly, said they same thing. At least they knew we were there. 

First game in awhile I said, ya-we lost by 5 tds but it could have been a lot better.  We played to win and sometimes when you you play with no fear, you get burned.  I think we offensively open it up a bit this weekend. 

10 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

For all the talk about some of the LBs like Henrich and Reimer, sure didn't seem like they played much.  Henrich had one tackle and Reimer recorded zero (not sure if he played).

Reimer didn’t even travel because of an injury so 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Redux said:

With a gutted and already suspect secondary, it could get ugly quick.  They looked pretty good first half, but 2nd half I just thought both looked confused and rattled

Illinois looked terrible,  but without everyone we might look that bad too.  I'm hoping. I even predicted this one as the yesr we finally get them.  Just not expecting it.

Not an excuse but I am guessing just about every team ohio state plays this year until they meet Bama and Clemson will look Rattled and Confused as they get overmatched by Ohio State. 

We had confidence and played like it until we let them score right before half and right after half. Huge Momentum swing. Cant have that when your playing a team superior to 98% of all teams in college football

• Plus1 2